Sleeping in an English castle!

Has anyone ever spent a night in a castle? We will be on a British Isles cruise and would like to stay one night in a castle pre-cruise. I looked on-line and Leeds Castle in Kent looks beautiful. They even offer glamping! What about transportation?

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

The National Trust offers some really neat places to stay as well! My parents stayed in a tiny place in Cornwall (same town that Doc Martin was filmed), a lovely place on a stream and of course there are some manor houses that offer lodgings. Have a look see if there is anything neat to where you want to visit.

http://www.nationaltrustholidays.org.uk/

Lumley Castle in Durham is lovely - easy taxi ride from Durham Station ( if you plan on exploring England.) it offers excellent accommodation and is in a magnificent area for sight seeing.

Edited by Morgans

Whichever castle you choose, I am sure it will be a memorable occasion. Without your own transport, some of them might be harder to get to. They will all have websites and they will have information on how to get there by car or public transport.

This is what Leeds Castle says if you are coming by train. http://www.leeds-castle.com/Visit/Directions/Leeds+Castle+by+Train

I am sure that you will understand that such ancient buildings will have creaky floorboards (sometimes not even all that level), variable sized rooms (often they have lost a big chunk of space for an en suite bathroom which was certainly not in the original plans). Reports of ghosts should be taken with a large helping of salt. Do not assume air con or even a lift but ask if they are available if that is important. Most will offer some accommodation for the less abled but it will get booked well in advance.

Edited by Bob++