Pigeon Island, Kusadasi

Hi,

I have seen Pigeon Island mentioned a couple of times. Could someone who has been there tell me a little about it? I'm looking for info such as how to get there from the cruise port? What is there to see and do on the island? Are there places to get something to eat and a drink?

Would really appreciate any info you can give me!

• 2 years later...
Hi,

I have seen Pigeon Island mentioned a couple of times. Could someone who has been there tell me a little about it? I'm looking for info such as how to get there from the cruise port? What is there to see and do on the island? Are there places to get something to eat and a drink?

Would really appreciate any info you can give me!

I was just doing a search for Pigeon Island......I am wondering the same thing? Is there anyone out there with info?

It seems to be within walking distance of the Kusadasi port.....but how long does it take? Also, can you have a bite to eat there? Any info on this old post would be greatly appreciated.;)

Not sure if this helps or not but the small castle on the island is currently closed for renovation (at least as of June 2015). No idea when it will be open. I don't think there is much else on the island except views.

If you are looking to try some good Turkish food, I'd recommend doing so in Kusadasi itself. Several good restaurants there with nice water views.

Not sure if this helps or not but the small castle on the island is currently closed for renovation (at least as of June 2015). No idea when it will be open. I don't think there is much else on the island except views.

If you are looking to try some good Turkish food, I'd recommend doing so in Kusadasi itself. Several good restaurants there with nice water views.

Thanks cruisemom42......we won't be there until next year, so we will have to check if it is open by then. We are really just looking for something to do for a couple hours after our tour returns, before getting back on board.....thought it might be worth walking over to look at.

• 1 month later...

Hi blan2, I am the original poster. Since my post we have done our cruise and I have taken the walk to Pigeon Island! It was a pleasant stroll from the cruise ship, past a small market, with a vendor selling the most amazing Mulberry ice-cream. The castle was closed when we were there last year. There isn't much else on the island, but like I said, it was a pleasant stroll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi blan2, I am the original poster. Since my post we have done our cruise and I have taken the walk to Pigeon Island! It was a pleasant stroll from the cruise ship, past a small market, with a vendor selling the most amazing Mulberry ice-cream. The castle was closed when we were there last year. There isn't much else on the island, but like I said, it was a pleasant stroll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will keep it on our list of things to do. We are thinking of taking a stroll after seeing Ephesus. The castle will hopefully be re-opened by the time we get there next year.

We were there three years ago and the castle was closed. Reading these posts, I wonder if it is ever open for tourists?

If we don't head to the island to walk around, are there other attractions or shopping close by to spend a couple hours?

We are thinking of doing Ephesus and then want to keep the day low key and just walk around the port a bit. Any suggestions?

If we don't head to the island to walk around, are there other attractions or shopping close by to spend a couple hours?

We are thinking of doing Ephesus and then want to keep the day low key and just walk around the port a bit. Any suggestions?

Yes, there is plenty within walking distance of where ships dock in Kusadasi. You will walk thru a shopping bazaar in order to leave the ship. Then you will be right in a safe, thriving business area. Lots of stores, shoppes, cafes, etc. to explore. There is also a nice sidewalk waterfront to stroll and people watch. No problems killing a few hours after a 1/2 or 3/4 day excursion out of Kusadasi.

Yes, there is plenty within walking distance of where ships dock in Kusadasi. You will walk thru a shopping bazaar in order to leave the ship. Then you will be right in a safe, thriving business area. Lots of stores, shoppes, cafes, etc. to explore. There is also a nice sidewalk waterfront to stroll and people watch. No problems killing a few hours after a 1/2 or 3/4 day excursion out of Kusadasi.

Thank you for the info......it sounds like our plans for Kusadasi are set!

Just wander in town, or go to a Turkish bath. Avoid the shopping bazaar at the dock. Go to the shops in town, better deals, and much more old school. The port is a modern shopping mall with no character.

Edited by zqvol

Just wander in town, or go to a Turkish bath. Avoid the shopping bazaar at the dock. Go to the shops in town, better deals, and much more old school. The port is a modern shopping mall with no character.

zqvol, thank you for your suggestions.

I was wondering if the shopping is better in Istanbul or Kusadasi? Particularly for Turkish Delight, textiles and pottery? There will be a group of us with different interests.