Amber Cove

acadran

Hey do you mind sharing the Facebook page?

Hi Brian! Below, please find the Amber Cove Facebook page, as well as the Inside Puerto Plata Facebook page.

Amber Cove

https://www.facebook.com/Amber-Cove-Dominican-Republic-cruise-port-697795690328703/timeline/

Inside Puerto Plata

https://www.facebook.com/Inside-Puerto-Plata-1539686782953353/timeline/

• 3 weeks later...

We just came back from there, our family felt very uncomfortable and not safe! If you stay inside the gates of the pier it is perfectly fine, there is a pool and a few shops open, and a bar.....outside of those gates we seen security with guns lining the streets and vehicles marked tourist protection.

We just came back from there, our family felt very uncomfortable and not safe! If you stay inside the gates of the pier it is perfectly fine, there is a pool and a few shops open, and a bar.....outside of those gates we seen security with guns lining the streets and vehicles marked tourist protection.

Are the pool and the lazy river open? What kind of shops (Pandora?, etc.)? Have you ever been to ports with guards before?

These are not questions to make you feel like your fear of being safe is not warranted. We've been to a few ports with these guards and actually feel a little safer since they are keeping the bad people out. Honestly, a lot of these islands/countries are very poor (this area borders Haiti if that tells you anything) and I appreciate the security. I am traveling with adults only and would not consider leaving the port unless it was with a Carnival excursion. I am wondering if the port has enough to keep you busy? I am good with a pool, lazy river and a bar. Our friends were wondering about renting bikes or something to ride around, but it sounds like it's really not safe enough to do that.

I do hear the port is very beautiful. I am looking forward to that!

Thanks for your input.

I was last in the DR a year ago in June, near Puerto Plata. Been going there for 25 years, and I have a niece who lives there. This is not a dangerous place. Probably the reason there were armed guards is because local people are protesting along the roadside because they were turfed out of their houses to make way for the new port. This is the government chasing away the protesters because the government doesn't want tourists to see protest signs and unhappy local people.

Puerto Plata is an interesting small Caribbean city - a little disorganized, with a few little noisy motorcycles running around, but nobody is going to harm you. They are delighted the port has opened and hope it will bring some much-needed tourist dollars. Local businesses have been gearing up. You are fine to take a taxi to PP, and have a walk along the Malecon - the boardwalk, have a local beer. NOBODY in PP is going to harm you, they want your business. There are plenty of reliable local tour providers who have been serving the All-Inclusive hotel guests for many years - use Trip Advisor and find a reviews.

It's a wonderful island, with many waterfalls, beaches and activities. It would be a shame to stay inside the compound the cruise line built.

That's a very good point and very comforting to hear. Like I said, I've been to ports with guards, so I'm a little used to it. I don't usually go out on my own in those cases though. Thank you so much for your advice and input. This is exactly what I was looking for!!

The taxi industry in the DR is kind of wild west. These drivers will try to quote you any outrageous price and hope you take the offer. They expect to you bargain, and will use any tactic to try to keep the price high - keep your eye on the ball, they want your business and you are their prospective customer, maybe the only one they have. I hate bargaining, but this is a port where you must bargain hard. Try to get them down at least 40%. If they won't go down, walk away - they will probably run after you. Know what you are willing to pay - 60% of what they started asking. Go talk to another taxi, and put the pressure on. I hate doing this, but that is the Dominican way. Same thing goes for anything you think you'd might like to buy - don't pay more than 60%

Dominicans are not thieves or violent people, but they are hard bargainers and they always want to to a deal and get the best of it. One more thing, if the driver demands more money than you agreed on at the end of the ride, throw the agreed price at him and walk away from the car. That will be the end of it - what is he going to do? There is no metre in the car. But please don't cheat and pay less - these are real people with families to feed.

I love the country and the culture. I hate the bargaining, but I am a visitor so I have to get along in their country.

Have a great cruise - there are no better beaches than in the DR that I have seen in all my travels in the Caribbean.

We are on the Victory 10/03/2015 cruise also. If you haven't already, come over and talk to us on our Roll Call. It's pretty quiet so far but I think it will pick up as we get closer. Being the first ones at the port makes it more difficult for us becuase no one has scouted out all the fun stuff to do there. I am excited to find out though! Cindy

How was Amber Cove? Will dock there Nov. 2015. Any info provided will be appreciated.

Does anyone know what the progress is with Amber Cove? We are leaving Oct. 26th on our cruise and sure hope it's finished enough to stop there! I would love to see pictures of the progress. There are a few on facebook but nothing recent. Any info?

Thanks!

Please take pictures and post upon return. Enjoy!

I will be in the DR in three weeks to visit my niece, and will try to find out what is actually happening at AmberCoast/Puerto Plata area. I know the opening of the port has caused great excitement and optimism about increased tourism, but I don't know if they actually have the organization to handle hundreds of cruisers well. Will report back on that. The government takes a high hand on tourism, but sometimes there is not much follow-through on the ground.

As for the beaches, in theory, every beach in the DR is open to anyone. That is enshrined in law. But in practice, the big hotels and the gated condo communities stake out a beach property and then make it impossible to get to the beach unless you are wearing their bracelet. Certainly, no one can stop you from walking onto any beach, if you can find a way to get to it, and if you are walking along the beach and run into a hotel property, they cannot (and won't) tell you to get off the beach. They don't own it.

I wouldn't swim at any beach right near Puerto Plata - suspicious about their sewage handling in a very old city that doesn't seem to have up-to-date infrastructure.

Best bet might be to google hotels near Puerto Plata, and contact hotels directly about whether they offer a day pass for their facilities. Check several hotels, as prices may vary widely. If you can find a price you like, you could get beach chairs, the beach, lunch, and all-inclusive drinks for the day at one price. Try it - I would.

Anxiously awaiting your reply. We will be there in July 2016. I've received a quote for a day pass for forty dollars from RIU Meregnue which is very close to the port. However, trip advisor reviews indicate many people fall ill at this location. I have 33 people in my group, and I definitely don't want to expose these people to an intestinal germ.

Anxiously awaiting your reply. We will be there in July 2016. I've received a quote for a day pass for forty dollars from RIU Meregnue which is very close to the port. However, trip advisor reviews indicate many people fall ill at this location. I have 33 people in my group, and I definitely don't want to expose these people to an intestinal germ.

OH NO! We just booked one of the RUIs for our cruise next month. It was the excursion through Carnival. Not sure if it is the same one. Where did you hear people were getting sick there? Was it on food?

I believe the RIU Club Bachata is where Carnival is taking their guests. It does have better reviews. Definitely check out trip advisor on the RIU resorts in the Puerto Plata area. I also believe these resorts are all along the same stretch of beach.

I believe the RIU Club Bachata is where Carnival is taking their guests. It does have better reviews. Definitely check out trip advisor on the RIU resorts in the Puerto Plata area. I also believe these resorts are all along the same stretch of beach.

I think that is where it is too. Thank you!

Does anyone know anything about the Carnival excursion Lifestyle serenity vip resort getaway? What beach is it on?

Our tablemates did it. It's held at the Lifestyle resort's private beach. They said that the amenities were top notch especially in relation to what they paid, but that just like us on another Lifestyle-run excursion, they were repeatedly approached for timeshare presentations.

• 3 weeks later...
We arrive in Amber Cove the last week of October. I have been in contact with Marysol Tours and doing their Dune Buggy tour. They pick you up at the port. Several tours offered and great communication through email.

We are looking at this tour also. Do you have any feedback now that you have been on your cruise?

TIA

• 8 months later...

Our cruise on the Splendor will be here on December 20. I am doing research on things to do on this stop. Sounds like the port is amazing and new. I also see there are independent excursion options and am looking into those as well. Inviting others who have been here, to contribute information/suggestions/photos to help others understand options on this new port Carnival offers. Thank you :)