Booked Alaska Cruise, now the land part

scrosso

Hello all, i have recently booked our first Alaska cruise next May on Princess. I just booked the cruise, and not the land part (thinking i could book this at a later date). After speaking with Princess if i want to do a landtour i have to rebook completely - i dont want to do this, as our deal is too good to lose.

So now, i want to look at all land tour options i can do myself. I would love to do Denali but realistically we have only 4 nights, arriving in Whittier on Wednesday and need to fly out of Anchorage or Fairbanks by Saturday. So my questions are as follows:

1. Whittier to Anchorage - the train seems like a great way to go (Alaska railroad, glacier discovery), but is only at 6.45pm, and i am sure disembarkation is early in the day. are there earlier / better options? is the princess transfer a better option?

2. As first timers, should we just settle for Anchorage and some day trips. I have heard great reports about Prince William sound and Kenai?

3. I am sure we will return to Alaska again soon, but should we try to fit Denali in, instead of Anchorage? if so i would want a whole day there, so 2 nights is the minimum. are there recommendations for hotels and day tours?

Sorry if all a bit vague, but normally focus on the cruise and not the land part. I appreciate all the help.

Hello all, i have recently booked our first Alaska cruise next May on Princess. I just booked the cruise, and not the land part (thinking i could book this at a later date). After speaking with Princess if i want to do a landtour i have to rebook completely - i dont want to do this, as our deal is too good to lose.

So now, i want to look at all land tour options i can do myself. I would love to do Denali but realistically we have only 4 nights, arriving in Whittier on Wednesday and need to fly out of Anchorage or Fairbanks by Saturday. So my questions are as follows:

1. Whittier to Anchorage - the train seems like a great way to go (Alaska railroad, glacier discovery), but is only at 6.45pm, and i am sure disembarkation is early in the day. are there earlier / better options? is the princess transfer a better option?

2. As first timers, should we just settle for Anchorage and some day trips. I have heard great reports about Prince William sound and Kenai?

3. I am sure we will return to Alaska again soon, but should we try to fit Denali in, instead of Anchorage? if so i would want a whole day there, so 2 nights is the minimum. are there recommendations for hotels and day tours?

Sorry if all a bit vague, but normally focus on the cruise and not the land part. I appreciate all the help.

Depending on what time you fly out on Saturday, you could squeeze in a day in Denali. Actually... Wait. When in May is your trip? The park road doesn't fully open until early June. You can see the 2015 schedule here and the 2016 schedule should be similar: http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

So maybe it would be better to save Denali for another time.

My recommendation for the land tour for Alaska is to rent a car. You can rent from Avis in Whittier and start from there. Or you could disembark, do a Prince William Sound glacier cruise and then take the train to Anchorage to overnight. Then grab a rental car in the morning and head to south to Seward.

Depending on what time you fly out on Saturday, you could squeeze in a day in Denali. Actually... Wait. When in May is your trip? The park road doesn't fully open until early June. You can see the 2015 schedule here and the 2016 schedule should be similar: http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

So maybe it would be better to save Denali for another time.

My recommendation for the land tour for Alaska is to rent a car. You can rent from Avis in Whittier and start from there. Or you could disembark, do a Prince William Sound glacier cruise and then take the train to Anchorage to overnight. Then grab a rental car in the morning and head to south to Seward.

Option two here would work well. Starting with the Prince William Sound glacier cruise. There is a lot to see in the area between Anchorage and Seward.

Frankly- YOU need to further get details on mainland Alaska touring. So you can determine WHAT is your priority.

IF you wanted to do Denali you certainly can. You mention "Denali" as a "priority"? You have already looked at and know what you would like to do there?

You can do a LOT more efficient traveling with a rental car, which can save a significant amount of time. IF you decide on the Kenai Peninsula, with only 4 days, I would suggest a one way Avis rental car. Eliminates backtracking Anchorage. BUT- it is costly, I will always state- my time is far more valuable than money. :) AND I travel there all the time. I would think this could especially be the case with someone, who doesn't .

IF you do have 4 nights, with an overnight flight home, you could do both Seward and Denali.

Day of cruise- drive to Seward, with an overnight. Next day drive to Mat Su/Anchorage. Then 2 nights at Denali.

Not ideal, but doable and certainly gets the MOST out of your time.

We are planning very similar trip in the end of May beginning of June. I also think our Denali trio will be dependent on the road opening in Denali at that time so considering a flight trip over Denali...... Just throwing things around at this time. We chose to not do the cruise line land portion as we felt we would be herded around like cattle.......I might be wrong so don't jump all over me people.....it was just my opinion.

We are planning very similar trip in the end of May beginning of June. I also think our Denali trio will be dependent on the road opening in Denali at that time so considering a flight trip over Denali...... Just throwing things around at this time. We chose to not do the cruise line land portion as we felt we would be herded around like cattle.......I might be wrong so don't jump all over me people.....it was just my opinion.

It is a significant advantage to plan your Denali visit for June 1 and later. Getting to Eielson is well worth the time. Even if needing to add extra days.

Booked my flights today...August 11, 4 nights on land then a 7 night southbound cruise. Did Denali so this year planning on staying south. Turnagin arm/Alyeska area, anchorage and Seward. Wanted to take the train south to Seward but I'm thinking a rental car will be better. I want scenery and wildlife. Plans include walking to Exit Glacier, maybe the Harding ice field. Seaveys dog sled possibly, resurrection bay cruise...driving and taking in the beauty and hopefully walking some trails. Looking for a couple great B&B's. Have googled and looked at Alaska web site and trip advisor, but if anyone has suggestions, I'm listening! 4 of us will need a room for Thursday and Friday,mom Saturday 10-12 more come in. Thinking of having them spend the night in anchorage then get the train to Seward in the AM. Not sure if they will need rental cars or if we can do tours or get to lodging without. I'm still deciding whether to meet everyone in anchorage or just keep car and drive to Seward. Excited ant way I go!

Booked my flights today...August 11, 4 nights on land then a 7 night southbound cruise. Did Denali so this year planning on staying south. Turnagin arm/Alyeska area, anchorage and Seward. Wanted to take the train south to Seward but I'm thinking a rental car will be better. I want scenery and wildlife. Plans include walking to Exit Glacier, maybe the Harding ice field. Seaveys dog sled possibly, resurrection bay cruise...driving and taking in the beauty and hopefully walking some trails. Looking for a couple great B&B's. Have googled and looked at Alaska web site and trip advisor, but if anyone has suggestions, I'm listening! 4 of us will need a room for Thursday and Friday,mom Saturday 10-12 more come in. Thinking of having them spend the night in anchorage then get the train to Seward in the AM. Not sure if they will need rental cars or if we can do tours or get to lodging without. I'm still deciding whether to meet everyone in anchorage or just keep car and drive to Seward. Excited ant way I go!

With your wildlife mention- you really need to think about getting out of the bay and be on the water at least 6 hours.

Thanks BUDGET QUEEN - Doing a River float on the Kenai river and then doing a cruise to the Kenai Fjords, a glacier/wildlife cruise or Reserection Bay or to Fox Island - possibly 2 of those. Would love to get in some fresh cooked salmon.

scrosso I didn't mean to take over your thread...I just want you to know that you can do it on your own. If you got a good deal on your cruise, don't rebook just to add land. You can do it yourself and save $$$$ Start with these: http://www.anchorage.net/ http://www.alaskatravel.com/ and just go from there! If Denali ends up not being a option, look at staying in the Anchorage or Alyeska/Turnagain Arm area....its beautiful and you can schedule excursions from there.