South America Itinerary Advice

msbethanykay

My husband and I tend to enjoy wandering around the ports and trying local cuisine and enjoying the cultural experience. However, I am not sure all of the Porta on this trip are conducive to that. I am looking for some input from those who have done a trip around the horn for which ports we'd really need to considering booking an excursion for.

The ports on the trip are as follows:

Buenos Aires

Montivideo

Punta Del Este

Puerto Madryn

Ushuaia

Punta Arenas

Puerto Montt

Valparaiso - already booked out excursion back to Santiago.

Thank you in advance for any input!!

Bethany

Our first South America cruise around the Horn will be in February 2016. Several of the ports (Puerto Madryn, Ushuaia, and Punta Arenas) are well known for their wildlife-viewing opportunities, and those don't happen while walking around the port area. Obviously the capital cities of Buenos Aires, Montevideo, and Santiago will have many sights to see by walking around, but I have still booked tours in each of them. In my past experience, making no plans in port usually results in not seeing much.

P.S. I'm partial to guide books, and I have learned a lot reading Lonely Planet Argentina and Eyewitness Argentina. The Rough Guide to Chile was released last month, but I haven't read much of it yet.

Edited by NancyIL

My comments in red.

Buenos Aires We spent several days there, mainly walked and did one HoHo bus our.

Montevideo - Walked off the ship to the old town. Very close to pier, partially restored.

Puerto Madryn We took a tour outside, but we could have walked directly into town from the pier, not a very interesting small town. After the tour, we walked around a bit on our own and looked a the beach.

Ushuaia Ship didn't go there due to a storm.

Punta Arenas Port was closed due to high winds.

Puerto Montt We took a tour outside the town. The town did not look interesting from the bus.

Valparaiso - already booked out excursion back to Santiago. Valparaiso was by far the most interesting town apart from Buenos Aires. We took a walking tour.

Bethany

About Valparaiso:

It is located on the hills surrounding the harbor, fascinating with its old buildings, lots of large artistic murals, and old fashioned funicular railways. We are glad we did the walking tour combined with a bus, but with more time there, would have loved to just poke around more slowly. The entrances to the funicular railways were hidden, so it was good to have a guide. This town is very different from all other South American towns, totally unique in the world I would say!

It would be a shame to skip this town for a rapid transit to Santiago.

About Valparaiso:

It is located on the hills surrounding the harbor, fascinating with its old buildings, lots of large artistic murals, and old fashioned funicular railways. We are glad we did the walking tour combined with a bus, but with more time there, would have loved to just poke around more slowly. The entrances to the funicular railways were hidden, so it was good to have a guide. This town is very different from all other South American towns, totally unique in the world I would say!

It would be a shame to skip this town for a rapid transit to Santiago.

I do wish we could have built some additional days to the end of our trip to spend more time in both Valp and Santiago. We must be back to work on the 19th and the cruise ports on the 17th. We are doing a short tour of Valp, a winery tasting and a tour of Santiago before heading to the airport for our mid night flight out. Thankfully, we were able to build in some additional days in BA at the beginning since we are off for the new year!

We did a cruise around the horn 5 years back, not so many ports. We are going back in February with additional stops. That said, Montevideo was my favorite walking port and we also did a driving tour. We spent a couple of pre-cruise days in Valparaiso and I found some very interesting ceramics and woven crafts. Definitely worth looking at the local shops.

My husband and I tend to enjoy wandering around the ports and trying local cuisine and enjoying the cultural experience. However, I am not sure all of the Porta on this trip are conducive to that. I am looking for some input from those who have done a trip around the horn for which ports we'd really need to considering booking an excursion for.

Buenos Aires

Montivideo

Punta Del Este

Puerto Madryn

Ushuaia

Punta Arenas

Puerto Montt

Bethany

• 4 weeks later...

Buenos Aires

Montivideo

Punta Del Este

Puerto Madryn

Ushuaia

Punta Arenas

Puerto Montt

Bethany

Hi Bethany,

We will be at the same cruise:-)

This will be my 4th season in South America! Recently I started the travel blog and most of the posts are about South America:-)

Here is a small sample of what you can find:

Puerto Montt

Purto Montt is not a pretty little town. Even locals admit that by calling it Muerto Montt (Dead Montt)

But if you scratch deep enough you will find that this billion dollar a year salmon industry machine is a gateway to the land of stunning scenery, great food, and guaranteed adventures.

Once you leave Puerto Montt, just around the corner, the scenery of thick forest, clear lakes, and snow-capped volcanos will unfold in front of your eyes. Manicured farms, neat houses, clean cattle are far from the usual South American scene. Impressed or confused, Western European countryside will be on your mind. But don’t let be tricked by this idealistic scenery as history was not peachy here. Behind this serenity, there is a tragic story about Mapuche people. Some cultural evidence is bringing Mapuche as one of the oldest tribes in Americas in connection with Maori, people from New Zealand. Bold and brave they went through many hoops in history and haven’t been conquered until 19 century. Known as canoe Indians in their early period the tribe was focused mostly in fishing. But once Incas tried to take their land in South Chile Mapuche sent them back home. Shortly after Incas, Spaniards realized that if you can’t defeat them you should join them. The treaty was made and lasted until Chilean independence in 1817. Although Chilean government granted the land, Mapuche was manipulated and neglected. Their land became public and later given to Europeans. Once they were put onto reservations, severe starvation, social instability, and diseases made them almost disappear. The final whip was done by Pinochet in 1973.

Today they feel that they are left out, with no land, education or rights.

But they didn’t give up! Their fight continues, but this time in UN quarters in Geneva. All hopes are now put on Chilean president Michelle Bachelet and her promise that a new constitution will recognize indigenous people…

PORT INFO

Puerto Montt port is a tendering port. The pier is walkable.

WIFI at the dock is free of charge but with very weak signal. When is Chile, be aware that taking the food &beverage off the ship/plane is strongly prohibited. Don’t be surprised when you see that every Chilean port has dogs ready to find your hidden apple.

Language: Spanish

Currency: CLP - Chilean Peso

DON'T MISS

1. Vicente Perez Rosales National Park

Created in the middle of volcano activity, this 625.000 acres park offers great opportunities for hiking, bird watching, rafting, kayaking, and horseback riding.

Among its great highlights are:

Volcano Osorno

Osorno is a trademark of the Lake District and at the same time the most active volcano of the southern Chilean Andes. If you are lucky enough to be there on a sunny day, the top of the volcano (2.661m above the sea) is a great opportunity for a zip line, chair lift and hot tea. Bring hats and gloves as the winds are brutal at the top.

Lago Todos Los Santos

This absolutely gorgeous lake is real photographers’ delight. Emerald green lake facing the volcano, nice and easy trails with the enjoyable boat ride are the perfect way to spend your day in this area.

Falls and Falls and Petrohué River

For adrenaline junkies rafting on Petrohué River will be a right choice.

If you are visiting falls during high season (from Dec to April) try to avoid the crowd and plan to visit the falls early in the morning or late afternoon. Entrance fee is 2.500 CLP (3.5 USD). Have CLP as they don’t accept USD.

Trails:

El Solitario Trail (3.7 miles, Ensenada area)

Margarita Lagoon (4.9 miles, Peulla area)

Paso Desolación, (7.4 miles, eastern side of Osorno)

2. Puerto Varas

Resting at the bay of Llanquihue lake Puerto Varas is a charming German town you should definitely put on your list. Besides the local market, handicraft shops and lovely cafeterias, food trucks lined by the handcraft market are definitely something you should check.

3. Frutillar

Surrounded by forest and endless green fields, on the shore of Llanquihue Lake, Frutillar offers an unforgettable view on Osorno, Puntiagudo and Tronador Volcanoes.

Besides the great photo opportunities of volcanoes, the best to do is to wander around the town, enjoy the fusion of German architecture and South American colors, try German pie, spend some time on the black sand beach and take your better half for a perfect romantic moment to muelle.

4. Angelmo market

Hungry and tired after all these activities treat yourself with the delicious seafood or curanto dish at Angelmo market.

Unless you are in a desperate need for souvenirs skip the first part of the market and make your way to the fish market at the end of the bay. Once you are there take your time and try native potatoes from Chiloe Island, elephant garlic, dried seafood and homemade liquors.

PUNTA ARENAS

PUNTA ARENAS - CHILE

Kiss the Foot

If travel plans ever take you to small town Punta Arenas, please do not underestimate it. The Chilean last stop to Antarctica has much more to offer than expensive outdoor equipment.

Although relatively young town (established in 18 century), Punta Arenas is the place where history, geography and appetite for money made the long lasting partnership, 500 years old.

Obsessed by spice trade that was driving the world economy (especially European) Magellan set up the sails in 1519 strongly determined to find the way to Spice Islands. You must be laughing right now! All this fuss for curry and pepper!?! Well, yes…The spices which seem common to us today, were considered as precious as gold. Not being discouraged by Portuguese King who refused to finance his adventure, Magellan turned to Spanish Crown and got the money, 5 ships and 260 crew members in no time.

Now, I would like you to sit down in your comfortable armchair, close your eyes, relax and imagine the sailing with no GPS, satellite phone and weather forecast on the ship that was the size of an average movie theater.

Food was very limited, the crew ate junk (salted beef), hard tack and drank water that was mixed with wine due to very bad smell.

But, nothing could stop Magellan, not even a crew mutiny and their attempt to get rid of him once they reached Brazil. For a short period of time, due to bad weather, Magellan got stuck in Argentina from where he sat a sail to unknown, to reach unreachable.

While sailing at the very tip of South America (today Argentina and Chile share this land) Magellan spotted flames that were covering the unknown land. These were the fires Indians kept during the cold nights in their camps. Tierra del Fuego- Magellan named this mystical place where many explorers and navigators sadly ended their sailing careers. Brutally strong winds, narrow passages and rocks that were popping out from the sea as spikes were the perfect scenario for wrecked ships and broken dreams.

Sadly, Magellan's destiny, like Cook's, was fatal. Killed by natives in the Philippines, he never finished the voyage.

Clashes between England and Spain will continue for many years to come. Treaties made in Europe were never applied in these waters. Once Chile grabbed the independence, Spain was checkmated as British German and Croats were offered the Chilean land for free. It didn't take too long for Europeans to bring famous French architects and the finest materials to the end of the world. In only 20 years, Punta Arenas was shining with the exclusive villas and elegant neoclassical buildings. The legacy of Eva Braun and Jose Menendez (their houses are museums today) are silent reminders of that glorious time.

But Punta Arenas offers much more than the history lesson. Only 20 minutes from the downtown you will find Magellanic National Reserve discovered in 1826. If you are a big fan of hikes, flora, fauna and mud don't miss this place. Tired and muddy, treat yourself with delicious King Crab. If seafood is not on your favorite food list go ahead and try Chilean fast food. You will discover that mayo and avocado are two do not miss condiments. Look for COMPLETO, a hot dog with guacamole and mayo.

Full and happy continue 7.5 km to the South (10 minutes by cab) where you will find the impressive Nao Victoria Museum. Full-size replicas of Magellan's Victoria, HMS Beagle and Shackleton's sailing boat proudly standing by the sea will blow your mind away.

Juan, the owner and creator of the replicas will blushingly explain how the ships were made, talk about weapon collection and carefully take you back to 16th century. Take your time and don't rush! At the museum's balcony take a folding chair, cup of hot chocolate, sit, relax and enjoy.

OK, I know what your next question is. Where are the penguins?

If penguins are the reason you traveled so far, Otway Sound with it's very small colony and Magdalena Island are the places you should consider. Be ready once you are there, as penguins will love the sound of your cameras. Approach carefully, switch off the flash, don't feed them and restrain from taking one of them back home.

At the end of the day, no matter how you spend your time in Punta Arenas don't miss the kiss! At the main square by the market, you will find the statue of Magellan and Ona Indian. The legend says that if you want a safe pass and smooth sailing you should kiss the foot of the Indian. Be aware that holding a foot instead of kissing doesn't count!

You can find more info about ports at Skitara Globe Trekkers' Club.

If you have any questions, my e-mail address is: jelena@skitara.com

Cheers

Jelena

. . . but I think this is a splendid itinerary, with overnights in Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro. Plus Salvador do Bahia, the picturesque Afro-Brazilian capital.

19 Days Caribbean-Southern

Princess Cruises • Crown Princess

Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Salvador, Barbados/Bridgetown, Fort-de-France, St. John's/Antigua, Saint Kitts, Fort Lauderdale

1 departure date: Mar 1 2017

Inside from

$1839

$97 per day

OceanView from

$2079

$109 per day

Balcony from

$2899

$153 per day

Suite from

$3759

$198 per day

Unfortunately we are in no position to do this since we are booked on the Norwegian Sun's Christmas/New Year's 14-day cruise from Buenos Aires to Rio and back just two months before. But I scrutinized the deck plan and made a couple of discoveries. Two very big insides next to stairwells. And my favorite on the Crown Princess -- a forward looking oceanview with pretty much the same view as the captain. We had one on a cruise around the British Isles and it was terrific, particularly since it was a free upgrade from an inside.

Edited by barante