Where to buy wine in Galveston near port?

mnsweeps

We are flying in from L.A and staying overnight at Holiday Inn Express Galveston on the Beach. The next day we take the hotel shuttle to the port (Disney Wonder). Are there any shops neat the HIE where I can buy a few bottles of wine?

We are flying in from L.A and staying overnight at Holiday Inn Express Galveston on the Beach. The next day we take the hotel shuttle to the port (Disney Wonder). Are there any shops neat the HIE where I can buy a few bottles of wine?

We went to Walmart the night before we set sail (6702 SeaWall) - not far from HIE - a quick and cheap cab ride (or if you're a walker like me, and the weather's nice, a nice pleasant walk along the SeaWall) - the selection at Walmart was impressive and good prices too.

No alcohol sales in Texas on Sunday mornings. If that is when you're cruising, make sure you get it Saturday night.

• 2 weeks later...
Or, after noon on Sunday.

NO alcohol sales on Sunday, period. Beer, wine, yes, after 12 noon. But not hard liquor. Realize op was asking about wine, but, just in case someone else was reading, and thought it included hard spirits, wanted to make that clear. I live close to downtown area and walk a lot. I see many cruisers getting last minute items at CVS on 25th and Broadway and they are so surprised they can't pick up a bottle of "whatever" to try and smuggle on. The manager there would like to strangle me, I'm sure, as when tourists are just looking for cheap beach toys for their kids, I say, don't shop here, way less expensive 3 blocks east at a Family Dollar. Or now, also, about 6 blocks west as they have an additional one.

NO alcohol sales on Sunday, period. Beer, wine, yes, after 12 noon. But not hard liquor. Realize op was asking about wine, but, just in case someone else was reading, and thought it included hard spirits, wanted to make that clear....

If cleaity is your goal, your first phrase was a poor one that could only confuse the issue...clearly beer, wine and hard liquor all contain all contain alcohol....and clearly there are alcohol sales (in the form of beer and wine) on Sunday after noon...and, as you know, this thread clearly is about buying wine, not hard liquor.

Edited by Starry Eyes

If cleaity is your goal, your first phrase was a poor one that could only confuse the issue...clearly beer, wine and hard liquor all contain all contain alcohol....and clearly there are alcohol sales (in the form of beer and wine) on Sunday after noon...and, as you know, this thread clearly is about buying wine, not hard liquor.

Really?:eek: I LIVE in Galveston and see many people that think they can buy a bottle on Sunday, as they are not from Texas. Though I did not mean to confuse the issue, and doubt that I did to anyone but a nitpicker. I just figured it might come up in later responses. So, obviously "cleaity" was not my goal. Thank you for setting me straight. :rolleyes:

NO alcohol sales on Sunday, period. Beer, wine, yes, after 12 noon. But not hard liquor. Realize op was asking about wine, but, just in case someone else was reading, and thought it included hard spirits, wanted to make that clear. I live close to downtown area and walk a lot. I see many cruisers getting last minute items at CVS on 25th and Broadway and they are so surprised they can't pick up a bottle of "whatever" to try and smuggle on. The manager there would like to strangle me, I'm sure, as when tourists are just looking for cheap beach toys for their kids, I say, don't shop here, way less expensive 3 blocks east at a Family Dollar. Or now, also, about 6 blocks west as they have an additional one.

Smuggle on? Really? Since the cruise lines allow 2 bottles of wine per cabin; this is somewhat presumptuous:eek:

On a personal basis, will never go to the Dollar on Broadway - what a abomination to build such an ugly building on this once great street.

The staff at the CVS are very nice and helpful.

Smuggle on? Really? Since the cruise lines allow 2 bottles of wine per cabin; this is somewhat presumptuous:eek:

On a personal basis, will never go to the Dollar on Broadway - what a abomination to build such an ugly building on this once great street.

The staff at the CVS are very nice and helpful.

Yeah, versus the "lovely" laundrymat on 23rd and the "beautiful" strip of stores with the pawn shop just across from CVS.:p Seriously, though I feel for the owners of the nice home just beside the Dollar. Always trash from the Dollar blown over to their space. We had better stop now or nitpicker will be back to spank us for getting off topic.:rolleyes:

Yeah, versus the "lovely" laundrymat on 23rd and the "beautiful" strip of stores with the pawn shop just across from CVS.:p Seriously, though I feel for the owners of the nice home just beside the Dollar. Always trash from the Dollar blown over to their space. We had better stop now or nitpicker will be back to spank us for getting off topic.:rolleyes:

:D So true:(

Happy Thanksgiving:)

Really?:eek: I LIVE in Galveston and see many people that think they can buy a bottle on Sunday, as they are not from Texas. Though I did not mean to confuse the issue, and doubt that I did to anyone but a nitpicker. I just figured it might come up in later responses. So, obviously "cleaity" was not my goal. Thank you for setting me straight. :rolleyes:

Irony alert: Commenting and eye rolling over an obvious typo is the height of nitpicking, so cruzlover55 deserves the holiday nitpicker award. Hope you had an otherwise happy Thanksgiving.

There are a couple of Holiday Inns in Galveston. The Holiday Inn Beach Resort (5002 Seawall) is the one close to Kroger (about 6 or 7 blocks away). The Holiday Inn Express (8628 Seawall) is farther west, about two or three blocks east of a convenience store that has a limited wine selection and about two miles from Walmart (and maybe 3 miles from Kroger or Specs).

Closer to the cruise port, on the Strand, you can get wine at the Strand Emporium (23rd and Strand) or, if you're not cruising on a Sunday, there is also a liquor store nearby (22nd and Strand, I believe).