Adelaide Rising Star: NY Times Profile!!

TLCOhio

From the New York Times Travel Section this past Sunday, they have this headline: "36 Hours in Adelaide, Australia" with this sub-headline: "No longer simply a stop on the way to its celebrated wine region, the city has seen a revival of cafes and an arts scene."

Here are a few summary points from their profile to consider: "Adelaide is Australia’s unsung city, a perfectly pretty destination on the southern coast, whose many charms are regularly eclipsed by the more glamorous Sydney and Melbourne. Most tourists who do fly into Adelaide are more often than not merely availing themselves of its airport en route to nearby Kangaroo Island or South Australia’s 18 celebrated wine regions, which have made Adelaide Australia’s wine capital. But these days the city is shining as a destination in its own right, and those who do decide to stay are in for a treat: Adelaide has elegant architecture and colonial beauty to spare, and a revival of independent cafes and bars and a booming arts scene have lately given the city a creative edge."

This profile offers many options to consider for places to visit within Adelaide, options for food and drinks, etc. Plus, pictures, interactive map, etc. Yes, we were "guilty" of using Adelaide as a "stop-over" point in going to and coming back from Kangaroo Island. Super loved K.I.!! BUT, we got to do a little sampling of the town and enjoyed our experiences there.

Their airport was very new and nice. Not massive and sprawled out.

Lots of reasons to head back, BOTH, for seeing more at Kangaroo Island and around in interesting Adelaide, etc.

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/11/27/travel/what-to-do-in-36-hours-in-adelaide-australia.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=6&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 127,664 views for this posting.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing.

Adelaide is actually one of my favorite Australian cities and was one of the 3 places we chose to visit on our first trip to Australia in the 1990's. (We've been back there more recently as well.) We didn't know it before we arrived in Adelaide the first time, but it is a sister city with Austin, Texas which (as you can tell by my screen name) is a place with which I am very familiar. The cities are similar in many ways, most obviously with the river that runs through the center of town. No wonder I liked it so much!

• 3 weeks later...

Aww thanks so much for sharing and promoting the great city I call home.

Yes KI is beautiful.

Winery's. Oh wow. World class. So many have lovely places to have lunch with awesome scenery and using all local produce.

There is so much more. Peak hour traffic is hilarious (ok to us its bad but not compared to well everywhere else.... ) Airport in 115 from the city. City is 20 from the beach. Beautiful parks surround the city. What we call skyscrapers are barely a blip on the skyline. Coffee on so good, everywhere.

Come for the Kangaroos stay for the culture :)