Excursions other then what princess offers?

Run_dude14

Hi there. We are booked for a 3 day land then 7 day cruise in mid August. Much of the excursions offered by the cruise line are booked or are not appealing to a younger couple. With this being said where do I begin to look for other creditable options? We still need to book something for Denali, Telkeetna, and Ketchikan.

Looking for a possible hike that is more then a "walking tour". Also looking for a outfitter for a half day of fly fishing for salmon.

Thanks for any input,

Nick

Hi there. We are booked for a 3 day land then 7 day cruise in mid August. Much of the excursions offered by the cruise line are booked or are not appealing to a younger couple. With this being said where do I begin to look for other creditable options? We still need to book something for Denali, Telkeetna, and Ketchikan.

Looking for a possible hike that is more then a "walking tour". Also looking for a outfitter for a half day of fly fishing for salmon.

Thanks for any input,

Nick

Please give us the details of your land tour. As it is only three days, time is probably your limiting factor.

I also suspect that with a 3 day tour you may not have enough time at Denali. http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles.aspx

Tripadvisor is your "friend" for excursions. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g31136-Activities-c42-Talkeetna_Alaska.html

This website is super for Ketchikan http://www.experienceketchikan.com/ketchikan-hiking.html

August 17

----arrive Fairbanks 2:00pm

August 18

----travel to Denali 9:15am-12:45pm

August 19

----travel to talkeetna 8:15am-3:10pm

August 20

---travel to Whittier 8:00am-2:00pm

Then it looks like the ship departs at 8:30pm.

Is this for 2016? Do you have the tour number? Ship name? Do you have a Denali tour as part of the package?

The important thing is to get as far into Denali national park as you can. You need to book a park service bus tour or shuttle according to your arrival time at the lodge. There is an hourly Princess shuttle from the lodge to the Wilderness Access Center where the tours leave from. You will want to do this soon so you have the right timing.

One place where you will have problems is at the McKinley Lodge. It is about an hr by shuttle into Talkeetna.

These are the folks who do the Byers Lake nature walk http://www.alaskanatureguides.com/byerslake.html -- I think they offer other hikes but do not know how anything fits into your timing. Would this one work --picks up at lodge http://www.alaskanatureguides.com/denaliwilderness.html

Edited by Alaskanb

Frankly- an important factor of mainland touring, with cruise tours- is Denali. It is NOT enough to just have "Denali" listed, on the itinerary. Likely with what you have purchased- is equal to you going to Disneyland, and not getting past Main St. Would that be an acceptable tour for you? There is excellent hiking at Denali to consider. This is a very important detail, you don't list if you have the Natural History included? Are you interested in getting- more out of your visit?

I don't find Byers Lake anything special, pretty basic in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't advocating paying for anything there. :)

August 17

----arrive Fairbanks 2:00pm

August 18

----travel to Denali 9:15am-12:45pm

August 19

----travel to talkeetna 8:15am-3:10pm

August 20

---travel to Whittier 8:00am-2:00pm

Then it looks like the ship departs at 8:30pm.

August 19 is not accurate. by road, Denail to the McKinley Princess is 3 hours,

I am assuming this is all by bus?

This is the general itinerary for BBX on that date -- no excursions are included. Do not know times. I cannot find a review from anyone who has done this tour.

1 Fairbanks

Wednesday, August 17

Alaska's "Golden Heart City" of Fairbanks is a great introduction to the heart of this unique state. Check in to your hotel and get ready for the beginning of your adventure.

2 Fairbanks/Denali

Thursday, August 18

Board your comfortable motorcoach for a scenic drive to the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge, situated a short shuttle ride away from spectacular Denali National Park. The remainder of the day is yours to partake in one of the many activities offered from the lodge. Drop by the tour desk to find out more.

3 Denali/Mt. McKinley

Friday, August 19

This morning it's "all aboard" our exclusive rail service to Talkeetna, followed by motorcoach service to the picturesque Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge. North America's tallest peak is just outside the windows. You may want to see the attractions around the lodge with an optional activity, or walk the nature trails outside.

4 Mt. McKinley/Whittier

Saturday, August 20

This morning, travel by motorcoach to Whittier and your awaiting ship. Embark and sail this evening.

Edited by Alaskanb

This is the general itinerary for BBX on that date -- no excursions are included. Do not know times. I cannot find a review of anyone who has done this tour.

1 Fairbanks

Wednesday, August 17

Alaska's "Golden Heart City" of Fairbanks is a great introduction to the heart of this unique state. Check in to your hotel and get ready for the beginning of your adventure.

2 Fairbanks/Denali

Thursday, August 18

Board your comfortable motorcoach for a scenic drive to the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge, situated a short shuttle ride away from spectacular Denali National Park. The remainder of the day is yours to partake in one of the many activities offered from the lodge. Drop by the tour desk to find out more.

3 Denali/Mt. McKinley

Friday, August 19

This morning it's "all aboard" our exclusive rail service to Talkeetna, followed by motorcoach service to the picturesque Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge. North America's tallest peak is just outside the windows. You may want to see the attractions around the lodge with an optional activity, or walk the nature trails outside.

4 Mt. McKinley/Whittier

Saturday, August 20

This morning, travel by motorcoach to Whittier and your awaiting ship. Embark and sail this evening.

Then I'd suggest this poster, book a Toklat shuttle and at least, see some of Denali Park, 8-18. As noted, the correct facts for 8- 19 is going to be leaving Denali at 12:30p arrive Talkeetna 4:40p, I'd suggest staying in Talkeetna, to at least see it, and enjoy dinner, then take the hour shuttle to the lodge.

this tour, is all transit, unfortunately, there is not going to be any time, for even including Byers Lake.

Yeah I misread the itinerary for August 19. Here is how they list it:

Lodge to rail depot 8:15a-8:45a

Rail Denali / talkeetna 9:15a-1:40p

Rail to lodge 2:10p-3:10p

You can arrange to stay in Talkeetna and get an excursion there instead of going to the lodge. Keep in mind that these are approximate times and can change due to road / rail issues. Check to find out how late the shuttle runs from Talkeetna back to the lodge or if a vendor will deliver you there.

Hope you can sort it all out and have a great visit.

You can arrange to stay in Talkeetna and get an excursion there instead of going to the lodge. Keep in mind that these are approximate times and can change due to road / rail issues. Check to find out how late the shuttle runs from Talkeetna back to the lodge or if a vendor will deliver you there.

Hope you can sort it all out and have a great visit.

This is poor advice. IF this poster stays in Talkeetna for a tour, there is NOT going to be ANY vendor that is going to "deliver" them to the McKinley Lodge.

The Princess shuttle buses do run later.

Yeah I misread the itinerary for August 19. Here is how they list it:

Lodge to rail depot 8:15a-8:45a

Rail Denali / talkeetna 9:15a-1:40p

Rail to lodge 2:10p-3:10p

this has to involve the Princess contracted "Direct to Denali" train, with this particular tour, offering a partial transit. got it clarified now. :)

Yes, this cruisetour is all transit with little time to enjoy the location.

The prime reason to visit Denali is to ride the 100 miles of park road to enjoy the scenery and view wildlife. With your limited time your only option is the Toklat shuttle. This will take you to milepost 52, 6 hrs RT (4:15pm - 10:15pm) for only $37. This late departure would give you time to check into your room, grab lunch, pick up snacks/drink and catch the princess shuttle to the park.

Info on the shuttle, times and park map in this link:

http://www.reservedenali.com/play/shuttle-buses/toklat.aspx

Otherwise your options include hikes around the park entrance, the free sled dog demo at 4pm. If you're willing to get moving early the next morning you could do the Savage River hike .... take a courtesy park shuttle to the trailhead at mile 15, then a 2 mile hike along the river.

Info on hikes, sled dogs, in the park newsletter:

http://www.nps.gov/dena/learn/news/upload/Alpenglow2015_INTERACTIVE.pdf

Yes, this cruisetour is all transit with little time to enjoy the location.

The prime reason to visit Denali is to ride the 100 miles of park road to enjoy the scenery and view wildlife. With your limited time your only option is the Toklat shuttle. This will take you to milepost 52, 6 hrs RT (4:15pm - 10:15pm) for only $37. This late departure would give you time to check into your room, grab lunch, pick up snacks/drink and catch the princess shuttle to the park.

Info on the shuttle, times and park map in this link:

http://www.reservedenali.com/play/shuttle-buses/toklat.aspx

You have missed the details, for getting back to the lodge. In the past, Princess did do late pick ups for an extra fee. The taxi service needs to be booked in advance, or there is walking back. Each of these requires extra planning.

You have missed the details, for getting back to the lodge. In the past, Princess did do late pick ups for an extra fee. The taxi service needs to be booked in advance, or there is walking back. Each of these requires extra planning.

Didn't forget. I just figured I could add the details later if the OP showed any interest. No point in wearing out the keyboard for nothing!