Need Lisbon Advice

Hello,

We will be doing an overnight in Lisbon this September.

On our first day in port we have a private tour to Sintra, visiting Pena Palace, Regaleira Palace and I believe the Moorish Castle.

On our second day our ship departs at 5:00 pm.

We would like to see sights around Lisbon but not sure if it's best that we do this walking on our own or a tour as described below?

We can arrange a private tour that sees:

On this half-day tour we will discover the highlights of Lisbon. We will explore the impressive squares and monuments of the capital of Portugal which was once the capital of a global empire! We will visit St. George Castle, including its surrounding quarter and Alfama, Lisbon's oldest quarter. We will discover the magnificent monuments erected to the heroes of Portugal in a unique Portuguese style: the extravagant Manueline architectural style, best typified in Jerónimos Monastery. Some of these monuments can be admired, especially in the area of Belém. We will also visit the traditional commerce zones of the city, with their 18th century buildings: the Downtown and the Chiado. In short, our tour will give you all the best that Lisbon has to show!

I guess what I'm not sure of is, are we paying for a private tour for something we could easily walk to do on our own? All are in good shape but one person does have knee problems from time to time. Miles and miles of walking would be hard on her, 5 miles total would be fine.

What do you think?

Do you have other suggestions for sights to see? With private tour we can ask for anything.

Thanks so much!

All places that are described in your post can be easily reached by public transit. Lisbon transit sells day pass good for both metro, tram and bus, € 6,00 + cost of plastic card. Same goes for Sintra, easy train ride from Rossio station for couple of euros and may be taxi R/T from train station to Pena Palace (Moosrish castle is 5 min walk from there). Regaleira Palace is 15 walk from train station, uphill from tourism office.

Most of the places mentioned have paid admission. Most palaces in Sintra are run by http://www.parquesdesintra.pt/en/ except Regaleira http://www.regaleira.pt/

Edited by hkto

Yes, the public transport system in Lisbon is very easy to get about on. Go to Belenes area and see the San Geronimo cathedral and have a famous pasteis de nata in local coffee shop. There is an old style tram that takes you to the old district. You could have a beer in one of the tile decorated cervejerias. Go up in the street lift designed by Eiffel ( of tower fame).

Go up to the fort for great views. Lisbon is one of Europe's cheapest capitals, so some good shopping.

There are lots of things to do and you don't need a tour. Decide what you like seeing and do some research.

The HoHo bus is also very efficient and good value and includes the Belem area - where you can sample the equally delicious Pasteis de Belem!!

As others have said, the public transport system is brilliant. From experience of spending four days in Lisbon last September, I wouldn't book on a private city tour.

Can check interesting stops of famous old style tram 28 (which lots of tourists take and so are thieves). Main attractions are city viewpoints http://thetravellingsquid.com/2014/12/18/lisbon-tram-28-route/

Alfama is an old neighbourhood but not that interesting. Biggest tourist attraction is castle. IMHO Belem is more interesting, can be reached by tram 15 (new style and also popular with thieves). It have monastery, tower, oldest pastry shop and modern art museum. Also more open spaces unlike Alfama which feels claustrophobic

Tram 28 and 15 are usually packed, popular with tourists and attract pickpockets. Google "tram 28 pickpockets", lots of hits on the topic. However I did not have this experience while visiting Lisbon on numerous occasions.

As a late suggestion, if you are going to be in Lisbon for a few days I highly recommend the Segway tour http://www.lisbonsegwaytours.pt/

We did the 3hr 'super tour'. Having done segway tours all over the world, this is one of our top 2. Its a brilliant way to see the city too, what with all those steep hills that you can ride up rather than walk up. If anyone is coming by ship, its just a 15 min walk from the Apolonia terminal.

Simon

hkto

Why do you keep referring to thieves?

When we were in Lisbon this past December, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE warned us about the pickpockets on the trams; our hotel, the tour guides, the police, shop keepers, and waiters in restaurants all made a point of saying how safe Lisbon is, but watch out for the pickpockets on the trams. We were even told their favorite MO (They usually work in groups of 3, two on the tram, one at a stop). They are very good, and your wallet will be long gone before you even realize it. We stayed off the trams and took a tour by Tuk Tuk, which we loved, in the Alfama district. The following day we took an included tour to the Belem area to see the monastery (Beautiful) and to go to the famous pastry shop, Pasties de Belem. In the afternoon we went to the beautiful Tile Museum

You will always get pickpockets anywhere where there are crowds of people in small spaces. It is certainly not just in Lisbon it happens. As in any busy city you need to have your wits about you.

True, it can happen anywhere. Last year on our Baltic's cruise the police were stopping all of the tours and warning the tour guides to be extra careful as there was a large gang of pickpockets in the city at that time, and in Stockholm a man from our ship, but not on our tour was robbed at the Vasa (A very popular place for pickpockets apparently). It happened to my best friend's mother while at the grocery store in our little town, so it's not just a big city problem.

That said, gangs of pickpockets are not as common in the US as in Europe (We have different types of crime) and many American's fall victim while overseas.

You fall victim to pickpockets when you are being careless and not paying attention to your surroundings. I live in central London and have visited most European capitals. The only time I have ever been pick pocketed was many years ago in the Carnival in Viareggio, Italy.

I never ever plan my holiday with the thought that I may be pick pocketed, but it seems to be a common question on here. I prefer to be positive and plan the things I am going to see and do at my destination.

"One of the true benefits of travel to foreign countries is it's probably the greatest form of diplomacy," Bommarito said. "Strange ideas go away and you realize that we're all similar, just with different cultures."

Great summary -- and something that I personally have found to be true.

LLarson,

Saw you had booked a tour to Sintra from the ship. Can you tell me the name of the company you are using? We are ending our cruise in Lisbon & have been there before. We would like to book a tour leaving from the ship to Sintra & then dropping us off at our hotel in Lisbon later that afternoon. We will have luggage, so they will need to accommodate that. Any suggestions from you or anyone else? Thanks.

Hi Kstonrado,

We booked a private tour with Sintra Magik Private Tours. (Sintraprivatetours dot com)

They seem very professional and have a great tour to the Palaces that we were interested in.

Good luck!

Btw, We will be in Lisbon overnight and are not sure if we should do another tour the following day to another destination or see more of Sintra? Did you just walk around Lisbon near town when you were there last time? Any suggestions?

Thanks!