What to do in Malaga

campolady

We are at the Melia Costa del Sol. There six of us, me, my sister-in-law, my parents, and my aunt and uncle who are coming from Japan. My sister-in-law speaks English and Spanish, my dad and I speak English, my mother speaks English and Japanese, and my aunt and uncle speak Japanese. It'll be interesting with three-way translations going on...lol.

Thank you so much for all the information you post. It's been wonderful following all the great tips and things to do you've shared, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Donna

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

My pleasure!

We always stay at the Melia Costa del Sol so know that you will enjoy your time there. Actually, they often have a modern Flamenco show on in the hotel that you would also enjoy - far superior to most hotel tourist Flamenco.

Have a wonderful trip and good luck with the translations.

1 1/2 days until we arrive in Malaga [emoji3] Having a last minute EasyJet cabin luggage packing stress out! Not sure how cool it will get in the evenings. Campolady, Will a light jacket over a sun dress be enough?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

1 1/2 days until we arrive in Malaga [emoji3] Having a last minute EasyJet cabin luggage packing stress out! Not sure how cool it will get in the evenings. Campolady, Will a light jacket over a sun dress be enough?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The weather hasn't been as good this week and it has felt cooler at night. However, coming from the UK you will probably feel warm enough with a light jacket or cardigan - especially as the weather looks to be warming up a bit from today.

Here is the forecast for the next few days http://www.eltiempo.es/malaga.html - this site is usually pretty accurate.

Have a great trip.

Edited by campolady

9017e85b0feb21dfa0c061c49df56902.jpg

Campolady. Just wanted to thank you for al of your brilliant recommendations. Here we are behind the bar of L'anicqua guarda having tried great wines & raw clams [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So glad that you are having a good time in one of my favourite places; love the photo - thank you so much for taking the time to post. Although I generally do not have a sweet tooth at all I just can't resist a glass (or 2) of Pedro Ximenez in there whenever we are in Malaga.

• 3 weeks later...
Campolady thinking of doing our own walking tour starting with > MALAGA PARK > CATHEDRAL >ROMAN THEATRE > ALCAZABA > GIBRALFARO CASTLE > La MALAGUETA BEACH.

Is there a dress code for any of these places?

Is there a dress code for any of these places?

Although it is unlikely you would be refused entry, it is not considered good manners to have uncovered shoulders when visiting the Cathedral - also very short shorts are definitely frowned on in the Cathedral or any other Church.

Otherwise no dress code apart from although it is fine for men to strip to the waist on beaches this isn't acceptable in the streets.

Edited by campolady

Campolady-

I really appreciate your taking the time to help us with Malaga. I will be traveling with 3 senior citizens, so we are planning on taking a taxi to Gibralfaro. How easy is it to get a taxi back from Gibralfaro? Is there a taxi stand? If it is difficult, how often does the #35 run and is there seating at the bus stop?

I appreciate your help on this.

Campolady-

I really appreciate your taking the time to help us with Malaga. I will be traveling with 3 senior citizens, so we are planning on taking a taxi to Gibralfaro. How easy is it to get a taxi back from Gibralfaro? Is there a taxi stand? If it is difficult, how often does the #35 run and is there seating at the bus stop?

I appreciate your help on this.

Buses run roughly every half hour and there are seats at the bus stop.

Coming back down you cannot guarantee that there will be taxis at Gibralfaro BUT, if you walk just a short distance down the hill you come to the Parador de Gibralfaro which is a lovely state run hotel with panoramic views. If you have a coffee or drink here the hotel will gladly call a taxi for you.

Being Seniors you get discounted admission to the Castle on production if ID that shows your date of birth.

Edited by campolady

I have a pictorial review thread for my transatlantic. I have several photos around Malaga and will be discussing my tapas tour with We <3 Malaga, if anybody is interested in following, here is the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2351601

I look forward to reading your report and seeing the photos. I hope you enjoyed your time in Malaga.

Campolady, We've really enjoyed visiting Malaga as a port of call several times and I would love to visit the Alhambra at the beginning of June. We have booked with Spain Day Tours but there seems to be some difficulty confirming availability of tickets, Do you know if these are released in tranches or there is an agent allocation? The ticket website isn't so easy to follow!

Thanks

Campolady, We've really enjoyed visiting Malaga as a port of call several times and I would love to visit the Alhambra at the beginning of June. We have booked with Spain Day Tours but there seems to be some difficulty confirming availability of tickets, Do you know if these are released in tranches or there is an agent allocation? The ticket website isn't so easy to follow!

Thanks

Sorry - I don't know how tickets are allocated to tour companies but, if Spain Day Tours have accepted your booking, I would hope that they have a guaranteed allocation.

Tickets are available on the website from 3 months in advance and popular dates sell out very quickly. If you let me know what date you will be in Malaga I will gladly check the Alhambra website to see what availability is for that date - I frequently book tickets for people so am used to the quirks of the website.

Sorry - I don't know how tickets are allocated to tour companies but, if Spain Day Tours have accepted your booking, I would hope that they have a guaranteed allocation.

Tickets are available on the website from 3 months in advance and popular dates sell out very quickly. If you let me know what date you will be in Malaga I will gladly check the Alhambra website to see what availability is for that date - I frequently book tickets for people so am used to the quirks of the website.

Ah thank you. it's 3 June It appears sold out to me so I am puzzled :confused:

Edited by dutchclogs

Campolady is there a self serve laundry near the port? Don't want to spend a bunch of time doing laundry but might need to do one load if there is something close by. Will be in on Jul 26 which is a Tuesday.

Campolady is there a self serve laundry near the port? Don't want to spend a bunch of time doing laundry but might need to do one load if there is something close by. Will be in on Jul 26 which is a Tuesday.

Have made some enquiries for you mattR and the nearest is

Lavomatic Lavanderia Autoservicio

Plaza Poeta Alfonso Canales, 29001 Málaga

See Google Maps. It is very near the Plaza de la Marina which is very close to the port entrance.

As it takes a good 15 minutes to walk from the main cruise terminal to the port entrance I would take the port shuttle bus from the terminal building that will drop you off at the Plaza de la Marina and save you having to carry your laundry.

Edited by campolady

We would like to spend a day at the beach. Where is a good place on the beach that would have food, drink, sunbeds, and umbrellas?

TIA .. Timm

Very close to the port La Malagueta beach is very popular with the locals. A fair choice of eateries - 'Picasso' is a good Chiringuito (beach bar) for food.

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A9mSs2VP9C1XDU0A8OpLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZmVxM3N0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Playa+De+La+Malagueta+Beach&fr=yfp-t-424-s

However, for more of a resort type destination go the short bus or train ride to Torremolinos; you can pick a bus up at the port entrance gates - buy your ticket from the kiosk before boarding.

Edited by campolady

Ah thank you. it's 3 June It appears sold out to me so I am puzzled :confused:

Your tour company probably gets a guaranteed allocation of tickets in advance ahead of public sales.

The website is currently showing just 1 ticket aqvailable for the morning of 3rd June but still has 256 available for the evening (17.30-19.30 hours). http://www.ticketmaster.es/en/tickets-family/alhambra-general/2/

Alternatively there is a 'Granada Card' available that, although more expensive as it is valid for several days, can be purchased right up to the date required and virtually guarantees admission to the Alhambra plus other attractions. http://granadainfo.com/alhambra/bono.htm

Edited by campolady

Have made some enquiries for you mattR and the nearest is

Lavomatic Lavanderia Autoservicio

Plaza Poeta Alfonso Canales, 29001 Málaga

See Google Maps. It is very near the Plaza de la Marina which is very close to the port entrance.

As it takes a good 15 minutes to walk from the main cruise terminal to the port entrance I would take the port shuttle bus from the terminal building that will drop you off at the Plaza de la Marina and save you having to carry your laundry.

Cant actually see the business on google maps can you?

No, I just meant to use the map to see where the street is in relation to the Plaza de la Marina. https://www.google.es/maps/place/Plaza+Poeta+Alfonso+Canales,+4,+29001+M%C3%A1laga/@36.717043,-4.4232903,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0xd72f7946362a947:0x5acd13c585704ce6!8m2!3d36.717043!4d-4.4211016

Further to my previous reply to your comment above I have just received this information about the self service laundry:-

<<Not sure it will help but I walked by it the other day. It looked new and clean right next to Roommate Valeria Hotel>>

https://room-matehotels.com/en/valeria/

Edited by campolady

Can you tell me more about the shuttle from the cruise ship. Does it have more then one stop or just at the Plaza de la Marina? I take it that the shuttle uses Paseo del Muelle Dos rather then Paseo de Matias Prats? Any word on the cost of the shuttle this year? Is it per trip or all day use?