What to do in Malaga

campolady

Normal hours (generally 10 a.m. onwards) for most sites on a Sunday with the bonus that some offer free admission on Sunday afternoons e.g.

Picasso Museum is free from 5-7 p.m. apart from July and August when the museum stays open an hour longer so the free admission period is 6-8 p.m.

Gibralfaro Castle has free admission from 2-8 p.m.

Alcazaba has free admission anytime after 2 p.m.

All Tapas Bars will be open and VERY busy with local trade.

Let me know if you need the times of any other attractions and I will do my best to find out for you - but I can only do this until Saturday night or from 6th June onwards as we will be one of our cruises 29th May to 5th June.

Edited by campolady

Is there some place to get Churros on the way down from the castle? Plan on taking a taxi to the castle then going GIBRALFARO CASTLE to ALCAZABA to ROMAN THEATRE. Ship docks at 9am so don't think we could make it down all the way to Casa Aranda in time before they stop serving Churros and our ship leaves at 4pm just when they start serving them again.

Is there some place to get Churros on the way down from the castle? Plan on taking a taxi to the castle then going GIBRALFARO CASTLE to ALCAZABA to ROMAN THEATRE. Ship docks at 9am so don't think we could make it down all the way to Casa Aranda in time before they stop serving Churros and our ship leaves at 4pm just when they start serving them again.

Sorry, can't think of anywhere between the Castle and Roman Theatre for Churros.

Thanks for all the great information. We will be there on the Jade on Tues, Nov 1st. Is this a holiday? Will that affect hours and crowds and what will be open?

1st November is 'All Souls Day' (Day of the Dead) when the Spanish visit the graves of their relatives. It is a holiday and most major stores will be closed. Bars, restaurants and most tourist attractions/museums will be open.

Bars and restaurants will be busy with local residents making the atmosphere great.

Ignore my previous reply - I have now had more time to think about things!

I have just found a copy of the menu for El Pimpi (one of its entrances is immediately facing the Roman Ruins) and see that they do Churros in a morning - have never had them there so can't swear that they are home cooked or frozen elsewhere and just fried on the premises but, as the bar is very popular with locals, they are more than likely freshly made. See under 'Breakfast' here https://www.elpimpi.com/wp-content/uploads/cartas/carta%20pimpi%20ingles.pdf El Pimpi is a Malaga institution and a great place to people watch.

Another option is Café Central in the main square Plaza de la Constitucion number 11; shouldn't be more than a 5 minutes walk from the ruins. http://www.cafecentralmalaga.com/ One word of warning, if you use the washrooms here don't try to get past the 'lady' sitting outside the door without dropping a few cents in her pot - she is fearsome when ignored lol!!!

Edited by campolady

Oh dear - and those of us living here are trying to keep Malaga a secret!!! Joking apart, thank you very much for the link.

Some of the places recommended are far too pretentious for us and our Spanish friends (you don't get the true feel of Malaga in 'posh' restaurants or hotels where you will only find business people and tourists not the average Malagueno) but nice to see that El Pimpi and Cafe Central (both places I have suggested in reply to another question on this thread today) are mentioned.

Edited by campolady

thank you again and again! We are in port from 8am to 6pm- if we start a little before 9am what schedule would you recommend? Is the Castle open that early? If we take a taxi and go straight to the castle to visit all 3 (castle, ruins, Alcabazar) would 3 hrs be enough to make it to the wine bar around noon? Then do the cathedral after tapas/lunch (2 or so?) Would the cathedral be open for visiting on the holiday?

thank you again and again! We are in port from 8am to 6pm- if we start a little before 9am what schedule would you recommend? Is the Castle open that early? If we take a taxi and go straight to the castle to visit all 3 (castle, ruins, Alcabazar) would 3 hrs be enough to make it to the wine bar around noon? Then do the cathedral after tapas/lunch (2 or so?) Would the cathedral be open for visiting on the holiday?

The castle opens at 9 a.m. - 2 hours should be enough to see the Castle, Alcazaba and Roman Ruins.

1st November is All Souls Day so several masses at the Cathedral when tourist admission will not be available. I will find out if there are periods between masses when you can walk around but, if not and you don't want to watch a Mass, you will be able to stand at the back to have a quick look.

How do you walk from the Castle to Alcazaba? Looking at google maps it looks like there is a walking path on the south side of the castle wall that takes you down towards Alcazaba but then it looks like it connects to some tunnels that look like they are below Alcazaba?

How do you walk from the Castle to Alcazaba? Looking at google maps it looks like there is a walking path on the south side of the castle wall that takes you down towards Alcazaba but then it looks like it connects to some tunnels that look like they are below Alcazaba?

Have made enquiries for you - I have never walked down due to my husbands mobility problems - and received this information:-

Come out of the castle and turn to your right to find the steps and path which follows the outer wall. Part of the path is cobbled and quite steep in places so not for people with walking difficulties but you will get some excellent views especially from the 'Mirador' - viewing point - about half way down. You can pick up a free map of the castle that shows the route when you pay to enter the Castle.

Edited by campolady

Have just received confirmation that the Cathedral WILL be open for tourist visits between Masses on 1st November.

My DH, DS (23) and I will be in the area from Nov. 8-19 when we will board the RCL Rhapsody for a TA. We are torn by choosing were to stay. In Malaga for the entire time, along the cost toward Marbella, Nerja . . . We have defininate ideas on what we want to see in Malaga (thank you for all your insight). Any suggestions on how to spend 10 days in the area without constantly changing accommodation? Also, my husband has limited mobility and we are talking about renting a car although probably not for the entire time. Thank you.

My DH, DS (23) and I will be in the area from Nov. 8-19 when we will board the RCL Rhapsody for a TA. We are torn by choosing were to stay. In Malaga for the entire time, along the cost toward Marbella, Nerja . . . We have defininate ideas on what we want to see in Malaga (thank you for all your insight). Any suggestions on how to spend 10 days in the area without constantly changing accommodation? Also, my husband has limited mobility and we are talking about renting a car although probably not for the entire time. Thank you.

Campolady is cruising until the end of the week and I am sure she will respond as soon as she can. In the meantime I will mention a few things.......

Look at taking train trips to Cordoba and Seville. Cordoba can easily be done as a day trip, however Seville really needs at least one overnight. Accomodation is relatively inexpensive in November, so you could book one hotel in Malaga for your entire stay and use it as a base. Then just take a small bag for overnight stays elsewhere.

Locally arranged coach trips to Cueta (a Spanish enclave on the coast of North Africa) can be arranged through hotels and local travel agents.

One trip we enjoy is Malaga - Cadiz - Puerto Santa Maria - Jerez - Arcos de la Frontera - Ronda - Malaga. Two nights away.

Nerja is nice and can be reached by bus from Malaga.

Campolady, I'm currently on the Harmony having just left Malaga. I just wanted to say that there was a twist in the tale of my quest to get to the Alhambra (Spain Day Tours cancelled our booking as could not get tickets)

Found out on day 3 of the cruise that Ship was offering an excursion afterall. It was not advertised online. Apparently Royal took up a strict limited allocation of tickets-- just one bus -- two days before leaving Southampton, so I grabbed the chance. Ship also had to give names two days in advance, don't know why. Did not get to see Granada itself but very happy to see the palaces!

Campolady, I'm currently on the Harmony having just left Malaga. I just wanted to say that there was a twist in the tale of my quest to get to the Alhambra (Spain Day Tours cancelled our booking as could not get tickets)

Found out on day 3 of the cruise that Ship was offering an excursion afterall. It was not advertised online. Apparently Royal took up a strict limited allocation of tickets-- just one bus -- two days before leaving Southampton, so I grabbed the chance. Ship also had to give names two days in advance, don't know why. Did not get to see Granada itself but very happy to see the palaces!

So glad it all worked out for you dutchclogs! We were actually berthed close to you in Vigo on Tuesday so got a few photos of Harmony - she looked really good which was great to see after the terrible reports the ship got in last weeks newspapers/TV news. Hope you are4 having a fabulous time.

Campolady, I want to thank you for highlighting so many sights/things to do in Malaga. We loved strolling around then enjoying the fish, meats, and wine of the Ataranzas indoor market. We never would have found it without your recommendation and we loved it!

Can't really improve on the reply VMax1700 has given you. I personally wouldn't have a hire car whilst staying in Malaga as there are so many one way streets and parking can be an issue - either hard to find or very expensive if you park at your hotel.

Nerja is nice - we live 5 minutes drive from there - but either a day trip by bus from Malaga or, at most, one or two nights is plenty there. Remember that by November the coastal resorts are closing down for the Winter season.

Antequera and the Torcal natural park is nice for a day trip and, if you fancy a night or two in a boutique hotel with stunning lake views and with stunning surrounding countryside, the Hotel Vinuela is lovely - you would need a car to get here but could combine your stay with day trips to Nerja and Antequera. http://www.hotelvinuela.com/en/the-hotel/

Edited by campolady

• 3 weeks later...
Yes - the fare should be around 7-8 Euros.

If you are Seniors don't forget to take some form of date ID to get a reduced admission charge at the Castle. You can also buy a combined ticket for both the Castle and the Alcazaba,

We are planning on being in Malaga on July 5. We're a group of 6 young seniors. We want to see Castle, Alcazaba, Cathedral and Roman ruins. If we take a cab to the Castle, how do we get to the next places? I understand that the path from Castle to Alcaaba is pretty steep. After having recovered from a shattered ankle and having a lot of metal, I don't have the flexibility I used to, so I'm a bit nervous walking. Any suggestions?

We are planning on being in Malaga on July 5. We're a group of 6 young seniors. We want to see Castle, Alcazaba, Cathedral and Roman ruins. If we take a cab to the Castle, how do we get to the next places? I understand that the path from Castle to Alcaaba is pretty steep. After having recovered from a shattered ankle and having a lot of metal, I don't have the flexibility I used to, so I'm a bit nervous walking. Any suggestions?

I certainly wouldn't attempt the walk with mobility issues. You can take a bus back down from the castle to the Plaza de la Marina from where it is a short walk on to the Cathedral, Roman Ruins and, to the rear of the ruins, just a short climb up to the Alcazaba. You may find a taxi at the castle to take you back into the city but there is no guarantee of this.

Alternatively, walk a few hundred meters downhill from the castle to the entrance of the grounds of the Gibralfaro Parador Hotel. Enter and walk along the drive to the hotel; outside the entrance there will generally be taxis to take you up to the Alcazaba; call into the hotel for a Coffee or a drink to break your journey and look at its stunning outside views over the city and coast - should there be no taxis waiting just ask the hotel to call one for you. From the Alcazaba it is an easy walk down to the ruins and only a short walk on to the Cathedral.

Edited by campolady

On my previous reply I should have added that for 6 people you will need 2 cabs - larger cabs/people carriers are extremely scarce.