What to do in Malaga

campolady

I would like to know if is possible to get to Marbella by public bus from Malaga ?

Can you give me an idea of time and frequency of schedule ?

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There are frequent buses from Malaga to Marbella but these run from the main bus station rather than from the bus station by the port - would suggest you take a taxi from outside the cruise terminal to the bus station.

Portillo is the bus company that operates the Malaga-Marbella route; you will need a direct service; buses suitable for a day trip leave at:-

8.30 arriving Marbella at 9.30

9.30 arriving 10.55

10.00 arriving 11.25

11.00 arriving 12.25

12.00 arriving 13.25

The current fare is 6 Euros each way - either buy your tickets on line before you travel or purchase tickets at the bus station Portillo kiosk (can be a long queue) before boarding the bus.

The bus station in Marbella is quite a long way out from the city centre so when you arrive I would suggest you take a cab, or one of the local urbano buses, down to the coast to save a long walk.

A taxi from the cruise terminal to Marbella centre would cost about 55 Euros each way.

PLEASE NOTE that this information is for Marbella centre NOT the famous port area of Puerto Banus which is 10km further on and would require you changing buses at Marbella bus station.

Hope this helps.

Edited by campolady

This is a bit off topic but I'm trying to decide between a land based holiday at a timeshare resort either near Malaga or in Tenerife in May. There will be myself and DH who are in our 50's and my mother who is a young 90 but has some mobility issues. Not sure if anyone can give me any insight or pros and cons or either option.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is a bit off topic but I'm trying to decide between a land based holiday at a timeshare resort either near Malaga or in Tenerife in May. There will be myself and DH who are in our 50's and my mother who is a young 90 but has some mobility issues. Not sure if anyone can give me any insight or pros and cons or either option.

Where near Malaga?

Specifically Crown Resorts at Club Marbella which is situated between Fuengirola and Marbella.

That is at Calahonda which I assume you realise is in Malaga Province but quite a way from Malaga city (Fuengirola is a 40 minute train ride from Malaga).

Edited by campolady

I live in Canada and am not familiar with this area at all. My mother lives in the UK so I was trying to decide between here and Tenerife to take her for a week's holiday. Considerations being places of interest in the area for day trips, nice beaches, and hopefully not too many crowds.

I live in Canada and am not familiar with this area at all. My mother lives in the UK so I was trying to decide between here and Tenerife to take her for a week's holiday. Considerations being places of interest in the area for day trips, nice beaches, and hopefully not too many crowds.

Calahonda is a pleasant area - with many British visitors - and the coast is flat there so would be good for your Mothers mobility issues. There are regular bus services into Fuengirola, Mijas, Marbella and Malaga, There is a railway line from Fuengirola along the coast into Malaga city centre. Well priced coach excursions run all along the Costa del Sol, inland to Granada or Seville and to Gibraltar.

Again it depends on where in Tenerife you are looking at. I have only visited the island once so I am not the best person to advise there; I didn't like the black sand beaches and the area of the south of the island around Playa de Los Americas is full of partying Northern Europeans and high rise hotels. The north of the island around Puerto de la Cruz and Oratava is much prettier but the weather is more iffy with much higher rainfall and cloudy days.

Temperatures in both Calahonda and Tenerife should be very similar in May.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

How much time would I need to take a tour in Granada of the El Alhambra from the port of Malaga?

Its a minimum of 7 hour tour - 2 hours travelling in either direction (can take longer as the Granada motorway is notorious for delays) + time to tour the Palace. Coaches usually leave the ship around 8 a.m. and return 5-6 p.m.

Do you have a recommendation for a car and driver/guide for 5 adults looking for a day of sightseeing in/around Malaga? We will be arriving for the day via cruise ship this fall and would like to include wineries/wine tasting and not sure what else. We are not big into history or museum sites, but maybe to get more of a taste for life al life. Thank you for your thoughts.

Do you have a recommendation for a car and driver/guide for 5 adults looking for a day of sightseeing in/around Malaga? We will be arriving for the day via cruise ship this fall and would like to include wineries/wine tasting and not sure what else. We are not big into history or museum sites, but maybe to get more of a taste for life al life. Thank you for your thoughts.

Kwaj girl, what cruise line are you on? I will be on Oceania, Rome to Miami and we stop in Malaga also. James

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry - I do not know any private drivers (taxis will only take a maximum of 4 people) or any local Wineries that offer visits; I have found this company that offer 2 wine tasting tours but have never used them so do not know how good they are https://www.viator.com/Malaga--tours/Wine-Tasting-and-Winery-Tours/d956-g6-c21?pref=204 Malaga Wines are the fortified type like Sherry not table wines and are best sampled at a Malaga bar such as Antigua Casa de Guardia where you can drink them straight from the cask. As for wanting a taste for life, there is so much more to Malaga than history and museum sites as it is a living/working city rather than a tourist destination with many many more locals than visitors - e.g. wander around the fascinating indoor market where the vast majority of customers are Malaguenos doing their daily shop of fruits, veg, bread, wine, meat and fish or just sit in one of the cafes/bars eating Churros or Tapas watching the world go by when again most customers will be locals who often speak some English and love to chat to visitors.

Sorry that I cannot be of more help.

Edited by campolady

Its a minimum of 7 hour tour - 2 hours travelling in either direction (can take longer as the Granada motorway is notorious for delays) + time to tour the Palace. Coaches usually leave the ship around 8 a.m. and return 5-6 p.m.

Thank you for your quick response . This will not be a tour we have time for as our ship is in port from noon to 6pm☹️

Thank you for your quick response . This will not be a tour we have time for as our ship is in port from noon to 6pm☹️

Not worth the risk with such a short time in port - as I said, a minimum of 4 hours travelling and can be longer with frequent delays. Have a day in Malaga instead and visit the Castle and Alcazaba the latter being in many ways similar to the Alhambra on a smaller scale and without the crowds.

Edited by campolady

I would suggest stop number 12 at the Plaza de la Merced where there are many good Tapas Bars and cafes - you will be spoiled for choice http://www.andalucia.com/cities/malaga/plaza-de-la-merced.htm. Our particular favourite is Cortijo de Pepe which is a real Tapas institution for Malaga locals and tourists are made very welcome; the bar has been in business for over 40 years offering a wide range of delicious traditional Tapas. good wines and reasonable prices. Opening times - 12:30 – 16:00 and 20:00– 01:00 Wednesday - Monday. Closed on Tuesdays. Plaza Merced, 2, 29012 Málaga - tel. 952224071. https://www.cortijodepepe.com/

Hope this helps.

Have been trying to read all of your Malaga info. and "walked thru" on google map to find this place. Had my route and then realized we would be there on TUESDAY.

I am so thankful we toured El Alhambra when on a cruise 5 years ago but this time the other three couples on the cruise with us wanted to go there. After reading just some of your replies to others on Malaga I will have them thrilled to tour this beautiful city! And this groups likes to walk old cities and eat Tapas!

I have been looking at tripadvisor for some ideas.:)

I still like these - as per my original post - but so many other good places too:-

TAPAS BARS

Malaga is a Foodies paradise. You are spoiled for choice of high class restaurants but, for us, Tapas is the only way to go. Definitely try the local speciality 'Fritura Malaguena' which is a delicious mix of deep fried small fish. Just follow locals into a bar and you won't go far wrong; to get a good feel of the citys bar culture and atmosphere people visiting for the first time may enjoy:

El Pimpi - Accessed down a ginnel off Calle Granada or from immediately opposite the Roman Amphitheatre ruins, El Pimpi is one of the best known bars in Malaga where you can sample local Wines, Hams, Cheeses etc. http://www.elpimpi.com/en

Bodega Antigua Casa de Guardia - this bar can be accessed either off the main street Avenida Alameda Principal or from opposite the Indoor Market. A Malaga institution (gets packed at lunchtime so visit around noon) it is rumoured to be the oldest bar in the city and was once the prison house. Numerous casks house all varieties of the famous Malaga Wines (fortified wines similar to Sherry) plus wines from other parts of Spain. As you select each glass your running total is chalked up in front of you on the old wooden bar. Good seafood Tapas served too. http://www.casadeguardia.com

Cafeteria Axarquia - A basic café just up from the Casa Antigua de Guardia on the Avenida Alameda Principal. Don't be put off by appearances, the Tapas and Seafood here are excellent (quality and price).

Bar El Jardin - Situated at the rear of the Cathedral (on the left hand side if you face the Cathedral), this is an Art Deco bar/restaurant that serves great Tapas (best Tortilla anywhere IMO). Although slightly dearer than other Tapas Bars, the decor and food make it a place that we never miss when visiting Malaga. http://www.eljardinmalaga.com

Port Bar - If you don't want to walk into the city centre there is a bar in the main port/ferry building (opposite the entrance to the port) that is a popular watering hold for local workers - not the most elegant of bars but they offer a good choice of Tapas. This place is a lot cheaper than the bars you will find in the Muelle Uno development within the port grounds.

I still like these - as per my original post - but so many other good places too:-

TAPAS BARS

Malaga is a Foodies paradise. You are spoiled for choice of high class restaurants but, for us, Tapas is the only way to go. Definitely try the local speciality 'Fritura Malaguena' which is a delicious mix of deep fried small fish. Just follow locals into a bar and you won't go far wrong; to get a good feel of the citys bar culture and atmosphere people visiting for the first time may enjoy:

El Pimpi - Accessed down a ginnel off Calle Granada or from immediately opposite the Roman Amphitheatre ruins, El Pimpi is one of the best known bars in Malaga where you can sample local Wines, Hams, Cheeses etc. http://www.elpimpi.com/en

Bodega Antigua Casa de Guardia - this bar can be accessed either off the main street Avenida Alameda Principal or from opposite the Indoor Market. A Malaga institution (gets packed at lunchtime so visit around noon) it is rumoured to be the oldest bar in the city and was once the prison house. Numerous casks house all varieties of the famous Malaga Wines (fortified wines similar to Sherry) plus wines from other parts of Spain. As you select each glass your running total is chalked up in front of you on the old wooden bar. Good seafood Tapas served too. http://www.casadeguardia.com

Cafeteria Axarquia - A basic café just up from the Casa Antigua de Guardia on the Avenida Alameda Principal. Don't be put off by appearances, the Tapas and Seafood here are excellent (quality and price).

Bar El Jardin - Situated at the rear of the Cathedral (on the left hand side if you face the Cathedral), this is an Art Deco bar/restaurant that serves great Tapas (best Tortilla anywhere IMO). Although slightly dearer than other Tapas Bars, the decor and food make it a place that we never miss when visiting Malaga. http://www.eljardinmalaga.com

Port Bar - If you don't want to walk into the city centre there is a bar in the main port/ferry building (opposite the entrance to the port) that is a popular watering hold for local workers - not the most elegant of bars but they offer a good choice of Tapas. This place is a lot cheaper than the bars you will find in the Muelle Uno development within the port grounds.

Thank you! I had written down your comment of Guardia at some point and we have plans to walk there for sure! Maybe later in the day we could visit one of the others too.

Thanks so much. You are such a help to all of us! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Campolady

Thank you for all the good information. I have a bad leg, so I use a folding mobility scooter. Can I get around? I like the idea of starting at the Castle, and working my way down. How can I get around, will a taxi take me. Any advice would be appreciated