What to do in Malaga

campolady

Can you tell me more about the shuttle from the cruise ship. Does it have more then one stop or just at the Plaza de la Marina? I take it that the shuttle uses Paseo del Muelle Dos rather then Paseo de Matias Prats? Any word on the cost of the shuttle this year? Is it per trip or all day use?[/quote

Just one stop at the Plaza de la Marina as far as I know. Cost was €3 last time we were at the port but someone recently reported it to be €5 - this is for one return journey. Your ship may also provide its own shuttle bus.

Edited by campolady

Looking at going to the waterpark Aqualand, anyone have suggestions how to get there from the port. 11 people in total inc 1 kiddies

Thanks

Not the easiest of journeys by public transport - best bet would be to pre-book 2 x 7 seater taxis (ordinary taxis can only take a maximum of 4 passengers) to take you from the cruise terminal direct to the Water Park although this wouldn't be cheap.

You can get a bus from the bus station outside the port gates** to Torremolinos bus station from where it is a good 20-25 minutes walk to the Water Park. There are also trains to Torremolinos from the Alameda railway station that is a 10 minutes walk from the port entrance**. To save the walk from Torremolinos centre to Aqualand taxis operate at a flat rate of 7 euros each way but no guarantee that you will get 7 seaters from there.

I have just heard of a new bus service that has a stop just 10 minutes walk from the Water Park but you may have to go into Malagas main bus station to get this which is 20 minutes ealk from the port gates**- I will make enquiries for you to find out for sure.

**Don't forget that it is a 20 minutes walk from the cruise terminal to the port gates - although a shuttle bus is available to the Plaza de la Marina close to the bus stop - so you need to add this to your journey time.

Looking at going to the waterpark Aqualand, anyone have suggestions how to get there from the port. 11 people in total inc 1 kiddies Thanks

I have just heard of a bus service that has a stop just 10 minutes walk from the Water Park but you may have to go into Malagas main bus station to get this which is 20 minutes ealk from the port gates**- I will make enquiries for you to find out for sure.

I now have this bus information - the M110 bus DOES run to Torremolinos from the stands outside the Port gates (Muelle Heredia bus station).

Edited by campolady

We shall be in Malaga in August and are doing a 6 hour ship's excursion. Is there anywhere within the port area (and preferably near the ship's location where were are dropped off at the end of the day) where my daughter and I can go for hot chocolate and churros?

We shall be in Malaga in August and are doing a 6 hour ship's excursion. Is there anywhere within the port area (and preferably near the ship's location where were are dropped off at the end of the day) where my daughter and I can go for hot chocolate and churros?

Sorry, Churros are only served in a morning not later in the day; similarly the thick Chocolate that goes with Churros is a morning drink although Cola Cao (conventional powdered Hot Chocolate) will be available in some bars at any time. There are numerous bars within the 'Muelle Uno' (Pier 1) area within the port grounds.

Edited by campolady

Sorry, Churros are only served in a morning not later in the day; similarly the thick Chocolate that goes with Churros is a morning drink although Cola Cao (conventional powdered Hot Chocolate) will be available in some bars at any time. There are numerous bars within the 'Muelle Uno' (Pier 1) area within the port grounds.

Good to know was planning on going for Churros in the afternoon between a load of laundry. Might have to skip the Cathedral in the morning and check that out between loads of laundry instead:) What time would Casa Aranda serve churros until?

The shuttle seems to take you a long ways away from the ship? Looks like it would be just as easy to walk from the ship to the beach rather then taking the shuttle as the shuttle heads so far west before dropping you off?

Edited by mattR

Good to know was planning on going for Churros in the afternoon between a load of laundry. Might have to skip the Cathedral in the morning and check that out between loads of laundry instead:) What time would Casa Aranda serve churros until?

The shuttle seems to take you a long ways away from the ship? Looks like it would be just as easy to walk from the ship to the beach rather then taking the shuttle as the shuttle heads so far west before dropping you off?

Have just checked for you and have been told that Casa Aranda, being such a Malaga institution, stops serving Churros at noon but serves them again from 5-8 p.m.

The shuttle drops you off at the Plaza de la Marina just across the road from the port gates so it is probably slightly quicker to walk from the ship to the beach than to take the shuttle. However, if visiting Malaga in high season (i.e. from now until mid-October) I would definitely recommend the shuttle for going into the old city centre - the 1.5km walk from the cruise terminal to the Plaza de la Marina can be killer on a hot Summers day.

Hi Campo Lady

Many thanks for all your helpful information!

Do you know if the Malaga Ferris Wheel / 'Malaga Eye' is at the port still? I can't be sure from googling it , it appears it might have been removed?

Many thanks

Hi Campo Lady

Many thanks for all your helpful information!

Do you know if the Malaga Ferris Wheel / 'Malaga Eye' is at the port still? I can't be sure from googling it , it appears it might have been removed?

Many thanks

Was still there 2 days ago!

Your tour company probably gets a guaranteed allocation of tickets in advance ahead of public sales.

The website is currently showing just 1 ticket aqvailable for the morning of 3rd June but still has 256 available for the evening (17.30-19.30 hours). http://www.ticketmaster.es/en/tickets-family/alhambra-general/2/

Alternatively there is a 'Granada Card' available that, although more expensive as it is valid for several days, can be purchased right up to the date required and virtually guarantees admission to the Alhambra plus other attractions. http://granadainfo.com/alhambra/bono.htm

Many thanks for these links. Alas, Spain Day Tours have just given me an update that they have not as yet been able to secure tickets to the Alhambra. They are sold out and there is only a very small chance that there will be the hoped for release of additional tickets. Not sure what to do now!

Many thanks for these links. Alas, Spain Day Tours have just given me an update that they have not as yet been able to secure tickets to the Alhambra. They are sold out and there is only a very small chance that there will be the hoped for release of additional tickets. Not sure what to do now!

Oh what a shame. What about booking the Alhambra Gardens ticket - you see everything except the Nasrid Palaces (which are a bit of a let down in my opinion)? There are still 60 tickets available for the morning and 80 for the afternoon of 3rd June http://www.ticketmaster.es/en/tickets-family/alh-generalife-y-alcazaba/4/

Edited by campolady

I love my wines, and saw in the current Wine Enthusiast a section on Andalucia wines &Sherry. On a TA in Oct, and want to combine wine tastings with an easy walking tour (DH uses a cane, but get around fine). Any suggestions for him to see the sights and me to do some tastings (wine & tapas?) Thinking maybe the HOHO would take too much time. Do we need to do the shuttle, then a cab, or can we take the cab direct to Alcazaba?

I love my wines, and saw in the current Wine Enthusiast a section on Andalucia wines &Sherry. On a TA in Oct, and want to combine wine tastings with an easy walking tour (DH uses a cane, but get around fine). Any suggestions for him to see the sights and me to do some tastings (wine & tapas?) Thinking maybe the HOHO would take too much time. Do we need to do the shuttle, then a cab, or can we take the cab direct to Alcazaba?

You can get a cab straight from the cruise terminal so no need to take the shuttle first.

The best place IMO for local Wine Tasting (Malaga Wines are fortified similar to Sherry and range from very dry to very sweet) is Bodega Antigua Casa de Guardia http://www.casadeguardia.com/ which was the old Malaga jailhouse situated on the main thoroughfare the Alameda Principal. Here all the wines are stored behind the bar in Oak casks and your running total of drinks consumed is chalked up in front of you on the old wooden bar. Great atmosphere and Seafood Tapas, but very popular with the locals at lunchtime and seating is at a premium so get there early. For a mid-sweetness Malaga Wine try the famous Pedro Ximenez - I don't usually like anything even slightly sweet but love this!

If you leave by the rear entrance of Casa de Guardia you will be facing the excellent Atarazanas indoor market that has several good Tapas stalls http://www.andalucia.com/cities/malaga/ataranzas-market.htm . This is very much a locals market rather than a tourists market and is a must see for food lovers; you will be able to buy local wines in plastic bottles at some stalls cheaper than when sold in glass bottles in shops.

Bar El Pimpi is another great place for Tapas and Malaga Wines; this is one of the most popular/oldest bars in Malaga and again is very busy with locals at lunchtime but there is more seating (both indoor, and outdoor) than at La Casa de Guardia; if you sit outside do take the time to go inside to look around. El Pimpi is accessed either from opposite the Amphitheatre (where the outside seating is) or down a little alleyway off Calle Granada not far from the Cathedral https://www.elpimpi.com/en/

Throughout the old city centre you will be spoiled for choice of Tapas Bars - just follow the locals/go into the noisiest bars and you won't go wrong.

Edited by campolady

The best place IMO for local Wine Tasting (Malaga Wines are fortified similar to Sherry and range from very dry to very sweet) is Bodega Antigua Casa de Guardia http://www.casadeguardia.com/ which was the old Malaga jailhouse situated on the main thoroughfare the Alameda Principal. Here all the wines are stored behind the bar in Oak casks and your running total of drinks consumed is chalked up in front of you on the old wooden bar. Great atmosphere and Seafood Tapas, but very popular with the locals at lunchtime and seating is at a premium so get there early. For a mid-sweetness Malaga Wine try the famous Pedro Ximenez - I don't usually like anything even slightly sweet but love this! .

By the way, a new Gastro Food Market - the Mercado Merced - has just opened in the heart of Malaga http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/nov/01/mercado-merced-malaga-food-market-spain-foodie-traveller .

Although not fully operational until later in the year, many stalls are already up and running including one operated by the bar I suggested in my previous post 'Bodega Antigua Casa de Guardia'. http://www.mercadomerced.com/antigua-casa-de-guardia/

http://www.mercadomerced.com/mercado-merced/

Edited by campolady

Oh my, campolady...this thread is a wealth of information! Thank you so very much.

I will be traveling with a group of 6 upper 40's/mid 50's age range, all good walkers.

We are interested in the auto museum, castle-citadel-roman ruins (are these adjacent? ) market, tapas and stepping foot on a beach!

What order would you recommend we follow? Would we be able to also include Picasso museum?

We will be on the Windsurf if that makes any difference, in Sept.

Thanks for any input!

Edited by olesiabr

Oh my, campolady...this thread is a wealth of information! Thank you so very much.

I will be traveling with a group of 6 upper 40's/mid 50's age range, all good walkers.

We are interested in the auto museum, castle-citadel-roman ruins (are these adjacent? ) market, tapas and stepping foot on a beach!

What order would you recommend we follow? Would we be able to also include Picasso museum?

We will be on the Windsurf if that makes any difference, in Sept.

Thanks for any input!

OK, the Windsurf generally - although cannot be guaranteed - docks at the nearest point to the city centre rather than the main cruise terminal which makes your tour easier for you.

To follow your itinerary I would first take a taxi direct to the Automobile Museum then walk on to the Picasso Museum (if you only have time for one I would definitely choose the Picasso Museum immediately opposite the main entrance of which is a great Tapas Bar). A short walk from the museum will take you to the main indoor market where you will want to spend the best part of an hour - add a good 15 minutes if you want to sample a glass of vino at one of the bar stalls there. Then take a cab (plenty parked outside the market) - or walk for less than 10 minutes to the main thoroughfare (Alameda Principal) to catch the bus - up to the Castle from where you can descend to the Citadel and Roman Ruins - you can buy a joint ticket for the Castle and Citadel; the castle is directly above the citadel which is directly above the Roman ruins. Come out of the ruins and immediately opposite is the rear entrance to Bar El Pimpi which is great for Tapas, the local Malaga wine and a true Malaga atmosphere. From there it is a short walk to the Cathedral and just across Alameda Principal and its parallel coast road bear left to the main beach - La Malagueta http://www.visitcostadelsol.com/things-to-do/la-malagueta-beach-p20471. From here it is just a gentle 10-15 minute walk back to the port.

Don't forget that tipping is not expected in taxis - we just round up the fare to the next Euro - and that 5% is more than enough in Spanish restaurants; if you just have a coffee or one drink and a Tapa no tip is expected.

I hope that this helps.

Edited by campolady

Yes, this helps tremendously! Do you think we will need two cabs, or are there larger suv-type vehicles that will take 6?

There are larger vehicles but you may have a long wait for one. Fares are very reasonable so I would just get in the first 2 cabs in the queue.

Edited by campolady

Very close to the port La Malagueta beach is very popular with the locals. A fair choice of eateries - 'Picasso' is a good Chiringuito (beach bar) for food.

Perfect ... Thank you!