Tendering in Juneau

jchristi

The one and only time we had to tender in Juneau we arrive exactly as described in the above post and attachment. This will put you pretty much in the cruise ship tourist assembly area for heading out on organized excursions or to do your own walking tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been here 4 times, but never had to tender. How bad is tendering? Do you loose port time due to it?

Any experience or thought appreciated. Looking to book a cruise that tenders in Juneau wondering if i should reconsider?

Have been here 4 times, but never had to tender. How bad is tendering? Do you loose port time due to it?

Any experience or thought appreciated. Looking to book a cruise that tenders in Juneau wondering if i should reconsider?

ANY tender operation is going to slow down people getting off the ship. Especially in popular Alaska, there can be long lines and extensive waits. Better if you have priority tender opportunity. Otherwise, be up early, and ready to go, in line at least a 1/2 hour prior to the posted time- IF you want off the ship as soon as possible.

On the Legend, May 26, we are tendering in Juneau. Where do the tenders dock ashore? We are renting a car through Avis and wondering about logistics.

Thanks!

You actually will be closest to the Rivergold. Short distance. Turn left when you get off the tender and walk a few blocks. On the other side of the street.

We tendered once and I thought it was a pain. It was pouring rain and all the tours for the cruise line had first priority. It took an hour plus from the time they started the tenders to when I was allowed to tender.

How bad is tendering? Do you loose port time due to it?

Do reconsider...

•  
  • I think someone said that cruise booked excursions get priority for debarkation.
  • people ask about getting seasick on a cruise ship.... you get more motion on a small lifeboat.
  • does anyone have mobility limitations? stepping in/out of a rocking lifeboat may be an adventure.
  • is anyone is a wheelchair? I got a notice that wheelchair bound cruisers will not be permitted to use the tender.
  • as someone already mentioned.... you must wait for the lifeboat if it has already left already. Swimming is not an option. It's a very slow process for a big cruise ship.

juneau-gg-westerdam.jpg

Juneau harbour is protected for miles by Douglas Island and I have never experienced any rough water there. Dudette has MS and travels in a wheelchair, never once has she been refused a tender, she does however have to get out of the wheelchair and step on to the deck of the tender. I can assure you that the tender crew is very adept at helping people with mobility issues. It is not a whole lot worse of an experience then some of the gangways that are used by ships in many berthing situations and quite frankly it can be fun.