Help with flying into FLL and cruising out of POM

Biris

Hi all,

We are a family of four, kids age 7 and 11. We'll be flying into Fort Lauderdale 2 nights prior to leaving for a cruise out of POM. It will be our first time visiting these two cities. We are on a budget and a gold member of Hilton Honors. We don't plan on renting a car, but will do so if it's more economical . Please help us decide if we should spend one night in FLL and one night near POM, or both in one of these two cities. We are not really active people but don't have mobility issues. We need recommendation of a good family hotel in the Hilton group that's close to restaurants and entertainments in either FLL or POM area. We are not interested in partying or nightly entertainments.

Thank you in advance your help. Any suggestion is very much appreciated.

Biris

http://www.sunnyorg has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info

In general the FLL area is more family friendly and will offer more for your kids. Hotels in the FLL area are generally cheaper than comparable properties in either Miami or Miami Beach.

Lots of hotels, including several Hilton varieties, in the downtown/17th street area of Fort Lauderdale. We like the Embassy Suites.

Shuttle to get 4 of you from FLL area to POM will run about $15 per person each way. Check with QLS, SAS, MJS, Go Airport and others often suggested on this board. The ride from FLL to POM takes 45-60+ minutes.

If you don't want to rent a car, I suggest staying on the beach in Fort Lauderdale on A1A. The Doubletree Bahia Mar would be a great place for your family.

You can walk to lots of dining and activities.

I would Uber to POM.

ES is our go to hotel when cruising out of FLL - nice area with shopping and dining options within walking distance, great breakfast, nice pool and free happy hour! :D Not close to the beach like the Doubletree suggested by Blue

Edited by JohninDC

With two kids? We've regular Ubered four in a car but then again, we were just going from the Riverside Hotel to Spazio.

4 passengers plus cruise luggage for 4 (especially if one of them packs like my wife :o) will be a tight squeeze in an Uber from FLL to POM. I would opt for a shared shuttle or Uber XL

I would definitely suggest renting a vehicle. We flew into FLL the day before and cruised out of POM. We rented a vehicle - SUV type and it was super easy and cheap! I believe it was through Alamo or one of the cheaper places. It was easy and only about $50 for the rental (one night) but the best part was that we picked up the vehicle from FLL and dropped it off back at MIA and the shuttle took us to the port for free. We did the same thing on the reverse trip and it worked out great - took the shuttle to the airport, picked up a car, went to South Beach for a few hours and then drove to FLL to catch our plane. Again, I think it was about $50, but it was cheaper than the carnival transfers and such. Good luck!

Hi all,

We are a family of four, kids age 7 and 11. We'll be flying into Fort Lauderdale 2 nights prior to leaving for a cruise out of POM. It will be our first time visiting these two cities. We are on a budget and a gold member of Hilton Honors. We don't plan on renting a car, but will do so if it's more economical . Please help us decide if we should spend one night in FLL and one night near POM, or both in one of these two cities. We are not really active people but don't have mobility issues. We need recommendation of a good family hotel in the Hilton group that's close to restaurants and entertainments in either FLL or POM area. We are not interested in partying or nightly entertainments.

Thank you in advance your help. Any suggestion is very much appreciated.

Biris

I mentioned on another board that I used a private van. I Show 4 You. Does not run anymore than Uber but much more personable and has taken my bookings for October, January and April of 2016 and 2017. Was right on time and was so enjoyable talking to him and getting some suggestions.

His name is Scott and his number is 954-449-3508. He will give you a quote and you can decide then. I thought he was better priced than Uber even with a tip. A lot of Uber drivers do this as a side business. This young man does it as his living. about $50

Good luck and I use to live in that area and Embassy Suites was a great choice. If you are able to get to Gilberts on 17th street for dinner or lunch, do not miss it. Great food at good prices for a family. They have everything but their burgers are outrageous. I try to go everytime I cruise out of FLL.

See if you can get an Everglades airboat tour. The kids will love it and so will you. I lived 17 years there and finally went on one about 4 years ago.

Edited by Kugel

I have never used Uber. My town is to small to have them. I would need an XL car too. Do you just call them or can you call ahead? Do you use a credit card or cash to pay? We will need a car from Fort Lauderdale hotel to POM. Thanks for your help.

I have never used Uber. My town is to small to have them. I would need an XL car too. Do you just call them or can you call ahead? Do you use a credit card or cash to pay? We will need a car from Fort Lauderdale hotel to POM. Thanks for your help.

Download the Uber App now on your smart phone. Set up an account using a credit card. When you are ready to leave your hotel, just open the app and order your ride. You will need to set the destination as "port of Miami". It will show you an estimated cost. If you use code rzh9gue, you will save $15 on your first ride.

Download the Uber App now on your smart phone. Set up an account using a credit card. When you are ready to leave your hotel, just open the app and order your ride. You will need to set the destination as "port of Miami". It will show you an estimated cost. If you use code rzh9gue, you will save $15 on your first ride.

Follow Sharon's directions above - with a little help from my 20-something daughter even a dinosaur like me has been able to set up and use both Uber and Lyft.

Follow Sharon's directions above - with a little help from my 20-something daughter even a dinosaur like me has been able to set up and use both Uber and Lyft.

:D Same for us! My daughter just shakes her head when I ask her "technical" issues.

But...I have a step up on her and her husband when they need good deals on hotels, cruises etc. All evens out.;)

Thank you all for your great suggestions. Renting a car for the reverse trip seems to be a great option since we have a few hours before our flight home. Now, where in South Beach can I find a good Cuban restaurant or trailer food :D?

Biris

Thank you all for your great suggestions. Renting a car for the reverse trip seems to be a great option since we have a few hours before our flight home. Now, where in South Beach can I find a good Cuban restaurant or trailer food :D?

Biris

What is trailer food?

My favorite for Cuban is Havana 1957 and they have locations in Brickell and South Beach. I also like Puerto Suaga and Davids but Cuban food in Miami is like Coke in Atlanta, it is everywhere.