Snorkeling at Coco Cay

my1stcruise

I have seen the various threads about whether a vest is required for snorkeling in coco cay but my question is just a bit different. When we were in Grand Turk my daughters and I "snorkeled" by hanging over a blow up mat and using our masks and snorkels to see the fish. Would this be allowed on the snorkel beach in coco cay or are they particular about wearing the proper equipment?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When I was there snorkel vests were "required" at CocoCay but there were several people not using them and I didn't see lifeguards giving them a hassle.

That being said, I'd suggest using them...either renting them there or buying vests beforehand (on eBay for around $15). The best areas to snorkel are fairly far from the beach, but well-worth visiting and the water will be over your head. They'll tell you about the underwater landmarks at the snorkel shack, even if you aren't going on an excursion. There are sunken planes, cannons, all sorts of things. You will see HUNDREDS of fish if you go out there, and there are floating platforms where you can go to rest.