Skagway - what are the things / activities not to miss when renting a jeep?

enjoyinglife

With the jeep, ride out to Dyea. Do your homework, and find out about the area history. Simple via a google search.

On the Klondike Highway- refer to Murray's guide and stop where YOU want to.

With the jeep, ride out to Dyea. Do your homework, and find out about the area history. Simple via a google search.

On the Klondike Highway- refer to Murray's guide and stop where YOU want to.

Thanks. I wasn't sure there was enough time to do both Dyea and the you know hwy so thx. I'll look up Dyea now.

Do u think 3 adults would enjoy the Klondike gold fields? I see most people excellent reviews usually have kids with them

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are you on a cruise? How long do you have? We are renting a car and have about 12 hrs. Do you need a Jeep to do Dyea?

I am wondering whether it's worth going as far as Whitehorse, or just to Emerald Lake. We will choose a couple of places along the way to do some hikes of 2 hrs or so.

Thanks.

Are you on a cruise? How long do you have? We are renting a car and have about 12 hrs. Do you need a Jeep to do Dyea?

I am wondering whether it's worth going as far as Whitehorse, or just to Emerald Lake. We will choose a couple of places along the way to do some hikes of 2 hrs or so.

Thanks.

The road from Skagway to Dyea doesn't require a 4-wheel drive vehicle.

While I love Whitehorse, I would not suggest driving to Whitehorse round trip from Skagway with a twelve hour port call. While scenery is subjective (i.e., what I find stunning others might find blah) for me the most interesting scenery is from Skagway to Emerald Lake.

I rented a green jeep in Skagway. I have Murrays guide. What are the things recommended not to miss? For example, stop to see emerald lake, etc.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also doing this in Skagway, so would like to hear what everyone has to say. Def planning on Emerald Lake!

Thanks for the input. The consensus does seem to be the best scenery ends at Emerald Lake. But Whitehorse is only a little further and I wondered if it's interesting. The main thing I've found thus far is the 1920s riverboat that you can tour. But skipping it would give us more time to hike and less pressure on the return drive.

Our port date is August 17 by the way. Renting from Avis as they open earlier and close later, giving us more time out.

Thanks for the input. The consensus does seem to be the best scenery ends at Emerald Lake. But Whitehorse is only a little further and I wondered if it's interesting. The main thing I've found thus far is the 1920s riverboat that you can tour. But skipping it would give us more time to hike and less pressure on the return drive.

Our port date is August 17 by the way. Renting from Avis as they open earlier and close later, giving us more time out.

I will see you at the rental counter! ;) :)

I'm gonna try to be there really early! I hear it can get crowded and you end up waiting for your car.

Getting really excited about this trip! Have a great time on your cruises.

Thanks. :)

Day 2 of Radiance.

Cold and rainy, but...hey...it's Alaska. ;)

A "little" farther is 80 miles round trip. Adding Whitehorse is dull scenery driving. I've been there several times for specific reasons. But it absolutely is NOT worth the trip for the "riverboat" you mention. Another "riverboat" you can easily see is at Pioneer Park in Fairbanks- if a "must"?