Xel-Ha

Red5

What's the best bang for your buck here? We're might go on our stop in Cozumel in October and have never been before. Is there easy transportation from the pier?

What's the best bang for your buck here? We're might go on our stop in Cozumel in October and have never been before. Is there easy transportation from the pier?

Here is the web site: http://www.xelha.com/

The park is located on the mainland - your cruise will be stopping at the island of Cozumel. Google maps is your friend. ;)

Take an easy cab from your ship pier to the ferry pier (for about $10), then buy ferry tickets ($15-20 r/t per person) and ride the often rough ferry :eek: from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen - about a 45+ minute journey. Then taxi to the park, enjoy your day and reverse the trip to get back to your ship before it sails away without you. :(

Too much to do on Coz for me to spend the time getting back and forth, but it is your call.

If you want to do Xel-ha, do it through your ship. No way I would risk not making it back in time. There are so many factors involved, primarily that it is on the mainland, not Cozumel, and taking a ferry. The regular ferry only runs ONCE per hour. The cruise ships have reserved their OWN ferry, so it leaves when their people are ready and takes them back to their ships pier, not the ferry pier.

No kidding... IMHO I would not do any excursion on the mainland unless it is through the cruise ship for this reason alone.... reserved ferry to and from your ship vs the public ferry that goes to and from the ferry piers at their schedule once an hour.

There would be so much travel time that you might not have much to spend at the resort. Does your ship offer this as an excursion? As much as I try to avoid taking the ship excursions and book my own, this is one where I would do it through the ship due to the time factor.

I've been here before, along with the Tulum ruins. The park is nice with kids, like a nature Park, lots to do and swimming, but I don't think it's worth the long drive to and from. We saw ducks and lemurs really close up, and they have a dolphin encounter you can pay extra for. There is a nice wooden bridge over the water that we didn't make it to.

If your kids want to swim and do zip lines (some small ones here over the water) I think there are closer options, probably even in Cozumel itself (or on other stops on your cruise). I echo others' suggestions on doing a ship tour for this one if you decide to go.