Cape Liberty Sailaway

cruisercathy

I have not booked yet but I am looking at the Anthem of the Seas. I have never sailed out of Cape Liberty. My question is....if I was to get a balcony on the port side, will I see the Statue of Liberty from it at sailaway?

The SOL is on the port side sailing out of the harbor. However, why would you want to do sailaway from your balcony? To get the full effect, particularly going under the Verazanno Bridge, you want to be outside on an upper deck. Even in the winter it's worth getting bundled up to be outside.

The reality is that your view of the SOL from the docked ship is very similar to the sailaway view. Every once and a while they do take the ship up to the SOL for a better view, but that is a rare occurrence and you can't rely on it.

The Anthem usually docks at Cape Liberty with her bow facing out, so port side cabins have a view of SOL while docked. The Anthem sails directly out top sea, so it will NOT pass by the SOL. (The Celebrity Summit does the short run up river to see the SOL, and then only when weather and harbor traffic conditions are favorable).

So if you want a view of the statue while in dock (its over two miles away), book a port side cabin. At sailaway, you'll get a slightly better view, but Anthem will turn south, and head away from SOL, to sea. You can always head up to a top deck and get a view.

SOL and Ellis Island are actually located in New Jersey but NJ is always the butt of a joke about the statue if you get my view, er meaning.

SOL, Ellis and (in my opinion Staten Island) should be in NJ, but whoever drew the map 200+ years ago said they should be in NY. Go figure. Wasn't there a Federal lawsuit many years ago, where NJ sued NY for ownership of Bedloes (SOL) island and Ellis? Heck, water and electricity comes from NJ. It was ruled the "fill portion" of Ellis was in fact in NJ. (Half the island).

The Anthem usually docks at Cape Liberty with her bow facing out, so port side cabins have a view of SOL while docked. The Anthem sails directly out top sea, so it will NOT pass by the SOL. (The Celebrity Summit does the short run up river to see the SOL, and then only when weather and harbor traffic conditions are favorable).

So if you want a view of the statue while in dock (its over two miles away), book a port side cabin. At sailaway, you'll get a slightly better view, but Anthem will turn south, and head away from SOL, to sea. You can always head up to a top deck and get a view.

Oh ye of little faith. I was at the memorial yesterday watching sailaway, and the Anthem did go up river. As a matter of fact, the North Star did two up and downs while sailing past the Statue.

Oh ye of little faith. I was at the memorial yesterday watching sailaway, and the Anthem did go up river. As a matter of fact, the North Star did two up and downs while sailing past the Statue.

I stand corrected. RCCL is copycating Celebrity. Hope they do it again in 5 weeks! And being in Northstar at the statue must be a real treat.

We sailed the RC Explorer of the Seas from Cape Liberty. Had a Balcony on the port side and had wonderful views of the SOL while waiting for sail a way.

Enjoy your cruise. I think sailing from Cape Liberty is very nice.

Happy Cruising

• 5 months later...

is anthem still going up to the SOL even in 2017? i did see it 2x on the breakaway but it's always neat

also any info on how easy to park and check in compared to the breakaway? silly things like when you self park over there, you have to take the elevator down and go back outside to give your luggage.

also whats the self park cost