Fairbanks Advise Sept 11-13

CMM

I'm a little lost on what to do in Fairbanks

We arrive around 8:30 pm and will stay one night at the Westmark and the second night at the Princess Riverside Lodge. The 3rd day in Fairbanks we begin is our first Princess Activity which is the Riverboat.

I've tried reading suggestions and really only got as far as reserving a rental car. I read that it is necessary to see the best Fairbanks attractions.

The Chena Hotsprings, is that a worthwhile visit if you won't be getting into the springs? I am confused there seems to be 2 ice museums. One there and one in town. Are they recommended?

Not interested in the antique car museum.

Looks like we are too late in the season for the animal research facility.

The Alaska Pipeline would interest my hubby. The Gold drege tour is not included in our tour and is sold out.

I would be interested in suggestions. We have an expensive Flightseeing tour scheduled already in Talkeenta.

Thanks everyone we leave in 2 weeks!!!

Yes there are 2 Ice Museums- IF the Fairbanks one is still open. Myself, no I don't bother with Chena Hot Springs outside of winter. It is hardly worth you going if you aren't interested in the springs? Why did you choose your split lodging? Kind of a waste of time, frankly to be tied up with moving? PLENTY of other lodging available. What would be a possiblity is to stay at the Hot Springs and hope for some aurora.

No the Fairbanks Animal Research Farm does NOT "close". The animals are always there. Not sure what you were expecting? Simply, you drive by, pull in the parking lot and take a look at the musk ox and Caribou/Raindeer. You don't need the informative talk. There is also the botanical gardens and of course the Museum of the North. Pioneer Park is worth some time, so is the Public Lands exhibits, Creamer Field etc. Did you look through http://www.explorefairbanks.com ? Where are you looking for the Gold Dredge- did you go direct? both tours are available both your days??

I'd rethink your flight options. The flying out of Fairbanks is spectacular and especially excellent is the combo day flight/road Dalton Highway tour. by Northern Alaska tours. Very well run. Cheaper, is to consider picking up some cargo flights with Warbelows, which I've always enjoyed.

I just tried a dummy reservation for the Gold Dredge on Mon 9/12 at 10:30am and had no trouble getting a res for 2. If it's something you really want to do, try again or call their toll free number. We really enjoyed the tour. The pipeline exhibit is interesting as are the UofA Museum of the North and Morris Thompson Culture Center.

The Fairbanks Visitor guide is in a thread near the bottom of the page, HELPFUL RESOURCES for planning a visit to Alaska .... look thru it for additional ideas.

Very much appreciate the posts, thank you.

We added the 2nd night when our EZaire got changed to arriving on an absurd red eye. So we changed to a much better flight with an extra day, however the Princess Riverbanks lodge was booked that night and the Westmark was booked the other night so the split resulted.

When I looked to see if spots were available at the Gold Dredge I swear it said sold out or not available. Maybe I was on some 3rd party sight or had the wrong dates in, but I am very grateful this was pointed out as I will consider that now!

I do just really have the one day. I enjoy reading on these boards and get a lot out of pondering numerous reviews of things and pulling out those that interest me. With Fairbanks there is so little posted & I find the web sites a bit harder to determine what is practical with the cruise tour plan in mind. That is where this site is rather helpful.

The flightseeing we booked independently with a hefty deposit down so that is also set. I understand now the Fairbanks animal research place would be more of a quick pass by thing. Their website noted tours stopping the week before, but see from the comment that is a non issue.

Another vote for the museum at the University. We didn't rent a car instead relied on the local bus routes which were easy to figure out and very convenient. Also look for local eateries we found several that were great, very reasonably priced as compared to the hotel dining.

CMM: Just a few comments from someone who lives in Fairbanks.

You will be in Fairbanks rather late in the tourist season, so I also would be extremely surprised if the Gold Dredge is actually sold out. Fairbanks is rather spread out, and unless you can find a tour which will deliver you to the Gold Dredge facility you will need transportation. I don't use our bus system, but unless there have been some recent changes I don't think that our limited bus system includes Fox.

Also, while the Pioneer Park grounds never actually close the little shops in the old original cabins from Fairbanks' original town site generally close on Labor Day.

Since you are visiting so late in the season you may want to just call the Fairbanks Princess and confirm that they still are sold out on the night you need. Never know -- someone may have cancelled.