Noel Tours vs Bernard's Tours

nickw

Back in 2012, I did a private island tour with Noel Tours. I remember at the time that it was a close contest between Noel and Bernard, but I ended up choosing Noel. Looking at my options now, it looks like Noel has gone defunct and or priced himself out of the market.

Is Bernard's the only option now? Are there any other island tours that cater to the cruise passengers? I'm looking to visit both Orient Beach and Maho beach for as long as possible.

Back in 2012, I did a private island tour with Noel Tours. I remember at the time that it was a close contest between Noel and Bernard, but I ended up choosing Noel. Looking at my options now, it looks like Noel has gone defunct and or priced himself out of the market.

Is Bernard's the only option now? Are there any other island tours that cater to the cruise passengers? I'm looking to visit both Orient Beach and Maho beach for as long as possible.

If you're just looking to go to Orient and Maho the easiest thing to do is take a taxi to Orient and then taxi back to Maho. That way you get to stay at each place as long as YOU like. I've done that in the past after using Bernards which was awesome, but once i decided I just wanted to go to Orient and Maho used a taxi the last time and going to do the same thing next April when there. Hope that helps!

If you're just looking to go to Orient and Maho the easiest thing to do is take a taxi to Orient and then taxi back to Maho. That way you get to stay at each place as long as YOU like. I've done that in the past after using Bernards which was awesome, but once i decided I just wanted to go to Orient and Maho used a taxi the last time and going to do the same thing next April when there. Hope that helps!

I like your idea. About how did you spend for taxis?

I like your idea. About how did you spend for taxis?

Sorry, I honestly don't remember. Was just interested in being at both beaches that day and nothing else so the taxi's seemed the easiest thing to do. I'm sure others on the board can quote taxi prices. We we left Maho we taxied back to town and walked around there for awhile, perfect day.

Anyone ever ask Bernard why he doesn't do a quick stop at the fort? I think that the quick 5 minute climb up the stairs from the parking lot is worth the views. If some folks don't want to climb up they could walk down the other stairs and spend more time in Marigot or simply wait under one of the big trees and look down onto Marigot.

• 2 weeks later...

We used Bernard twice. The first time we had a late ship arrival and timing was off. Never saw planes at Maho, not much cake left at Sarafina in Marigot, and Orient was deserted. The second time was wonderful. I would recommend Bernard for a first time tour of the island provided that you have an early arrival.

We thought about taking a cab to Maho and Orient, but are hesitant because there are three ships. Last time we where there we were the only ship. Breakaway and Anthem alone have a lot of passengers. Wondering if it will be difficult to get a taxi. We are thinking of booking Amigo Tours for a trip to Maho and Orient.

We used Bernard twice. The first time we had a late ship arrival and timing was off. Never saw planes at Maho, not much cake left at Sarafina in Marigot, and Orient was deserted. The second time was wonderful. I would recommend Bernard for a first time tour of the island provided that you have an early arrival.

We thought about taking a cab to Maho and Orient, but are hesitant because there are three ships. Last time we where there we were the only ship. Breakaway and Anthem alone have a lot of passengers. Wondering if it will be difficult to get a taxi. We are thinking of booking Amigo Tours for a trip to Maho and Orient.

We've did Amigo's Orient Beach-Maho Beach 2 years ago and are booked again for next month. Taking friends with us this time.

They bus you to Orient, drop you off at a beach bar that offers 2 chairs/umbrella and 2 drinks each for $25 (if I remember correctly). You can go anywhere on the beach you like but I think Amigo and the bar have a partnership of some kind. We stayed on the beach by the bar and were quite happy.

After approx 2 hour at orient they bus you to Maho beach.

You spend 2 hours watching planes take off and land. beach was pretty packed, had a couple drinks at the bar.

After 2 hours here you walk to the bus parked 50 yards away in parking lot. Then back to the ship.

Total cost is $36PP and includes all alcoholic drinks, soft drinks and water while on the bus. I probably had 3 rum punches and 3 or 4 beers so they werent shy about giving you drinks.

Have heard Bernards is good too but we like the 2 beach option with Amigo.

We've did Amigo's Orient Beach-Maho Beach 2 years ago and are booked again for next month. Taking friends with us this time.

We had a terrific time with Bernard's, but like you, we want beach time only. We don't want the hassle of finding a cab (or not finding a cab) coming back from Orient. The two beach tour seems like our best option and it will allow us to have a little time in Phllipsburg too. Our ship arrives in port at 11 a.m. and we are hoping that we will be able to see a couple of planes land at Maho.

Thank you for sharing. :)

• 3 months later...

We've used Bernard's tours twice and absolutely loved them both times. They really know what they are doing and make the day very enjoyable. It's actually my favorite excursion ever. I love Maho beach and watching the planes fly in and out but Orient beach is beyond beautiful. We asked to skip the shopping and extra stops the second time and just did more time at the beaches and they were very accommodating. Hope that helps and have fun!

• 1 month later...

I'll second/third/echo what others a have said about Bernard Tours. I've taken the same tour two or three times and it's really good. As noted by others, you can adjust a bit -- one time he took part of our group over to Marigot because they wanted more time to sightsee and shop there, and left the rest of us at Orient Beach for some beach time. Very accommodating -- and the included drinks are good. We skipped his "this is the best souvenir place" stop right outside Philipsburg in lieu of more time in Philipsburg.

You'll enjoy it!

We ended up going with Bernard's. I made a video of our trip:

Check the video out if you have time.

We arrived late in port, so we didn't get to see much sunshine at Orient, which was pretty disappointing.

And we only got to see 1 plane.

I don't blame Bernard for this... it was definitely the bad timing of when we were in port.

They bus you to Orient, drop you off at a beach bar that offers 2 chairs/umbrella and 2 drinks each for $25 (if I remember correctly). You can go anywhere on the beach you like but I think Amigo and the bar have a partnership of some kind. We stayed on the beach by the bar and were quite happy.

After approx 2 hour at orient they bus you to Maho beach.

You spend 2 hours watching planes take off and land. beach was pretty packed, had a couple drinks at the bar.

After 2 hours here you walk to the bus parked 50 yards away in parking lot. Then back to the ship.

Total cost is $36PP and includes all alcoholic drinks, soft drinks and water while on the bus. I probably had 3 rum punches and 3 or 4 beers so they werent shy about giving you drinks.

This sounds great, and not to put a damper on it, but it would come out to $61/pp with the added $25 for chair and umbrella. That is why I was wondering if Bernards included chair and umbrella. Then again, I guess $25 for 2 drinks is about reasonable in the Caribbean! :eek::cool: And then they "throw in" the chair and umbrella! :p