Norway cruise for active family

polyhedral

Hi! I am looking into a Norway cruise to take my family on this coming July, 2017. My husband and I have 4 boys and we are an active family that enjoys hiking, sightseeing and getting away from the crowds. We are not big fans of shopping and over-crowded touristy spots/cities.

I know this is difficult with a cruise, given you are deposited into ports with hordes of people, but does anyone have recommendations for a cruise with destinations/ports where we can access hikes, waterfalls, fjords etc. and experience the beauty and nature of Norway within the time frame that the cruise is in port?

Our budget is mid-range and we will be flying from the U.S. We also would be fine if the cruise begins/ends in a neighboring country.

Thank you!

My family has similar travel aims and yet I like cruises mostly for the combination of relaxation and moving around to new places. I haven't yet taken a Norway cruise, but have it on the short list for the next two years so have done some research. I have also been to Norway including when a cruise was in port in Oslo so have seen it first hand. Some of the smaller cities might get "overun" but if you head out into nature I think you can still enjoy yourself. Even in Oslo beautiful nature is a very short drive away.

I hadn't known about the option above but even a mainstream cruise can offer a lot of advantages for seeing Norway and cost wise Norway is extremely expensive so having your lodging and meals on board will save a lot over staying in a land hotel and let you spend your money on activities. Assuming you have a direct flight to London cruising out of Southampton can also save time and money over Scandinavian cities.

If the goal is to "experience the beauty and nature of Norway within the time frame that the cruise is in port" I'm not sure that the Hurtigruten is the best option, since the port calls are quite short (half a day in the bigger cities, and just a few minutes at the small stops in between). The scenery is stunning, but a lot of it would have to be enjoyed from the ship, which isn't particularly active.

We ended up skipping the Hurtigruten in favor of a traditional cruise in order to extend the time we had in the ports. We found that with a small bit of effort, it was very easy to avoid the crowds from the cruise ship and still see quite a bit.

From my experiences, some recommendations for more active, independent port exploration would be:

Bergen - Disembark as early as possible, and head straight for the Fløibanen funicular. The queue can become crazy long, but it's not bad if you go first thing and beat the crowd. You can enjoy the views from the top, and then follow the paths through the forest back down to the city center (because the historic Bryggen waterfront is a must-visit even with crowds). Additionally, the funicular entrance is quite close to the historic city center, so if the lines are outrageous it's easy to change plans and head elsewhere.

Geiranger - I love to spend port days in Geiranger hiking, because you can really get away from everyone and still enjoy the scenery. You can find the trail map free online (or buy a copy at the tourist office). The simplest start is to take walk up to trailhead behind the Union Hotel where trail A begins. This is a fairly easy uphill hike to the Vesterås gard farmstead. At that point, Trail B to Vesteråsfjellet is an extremely easy walk ending in a very nice fjord view, or Trail C to Løsta is a bit more strenuous with another excellent view. Trail D leads up to the Storseterfossen waterfall, which you can walk behind. We did this on our first visit, and found that since most of the trail is inland, you don't have such great fjord views, and the waterfall was a bit disappointing compared to the fjord scenery.

Tromsø - If you take the funicular up the mountain, you can keep hiking higher for even more dramatic views of the city and surrounding mountains.

Lofoten Islands - Rent a car and explore the islands. Visit one of the classic wooden fishing towns, and admire the dramatic mountain-to-sea scenery.

Longyearbyen - We were lucky to find a cruise that made it all the way up to Svalbard, and we contacted a local outfitter to book a trip for the day. Since we were there in early June, the ground was still extremely wet from the snowmelt, so a day hike wasn't a great option for us. Instead we took a half-day kayaking tour across the fjord to explore the abandoned mining village. There are plenty of independent excursion options that can be booked ahead of time (since you can't leave town without a rifle for polar bear protection).

If the goal is to "experience the beauty and nature of Norway within the time frame that the cruise is in port" I'm not sure that the Hurtigruten is the best option, since the port calls are quite short (half a day in the bigger cities, and just a few minutes at the small stops in between). The scenery is stunning, but a lot of it would have to be enjoyed from the ship, which isn't particularly active.

You're missing the point that Hurtigruten can be booked in segments, giving you the flexibility to spend however long you like in places of interest, where a traditional cruise does not.

Virtually everywhere on the west coast is within walking distance of quiet countryside. For example, from Geiranger, walk straight ahead up the hill; Olden, turn left for another hill walk; Eidfjord, along the river for an easy walk or up the hills for a longer one. You will be able to get walks maps from the tourist board websites for most places.

But essentially, the villages are so small that getting out isn't a problem; and if you're hiking, you'll outdistance nearly everybody on board so won't be tourist-ridden.

If numbers are still a concern, stick with the smaller lines like Fred Olsen or Cruises & Maritime. Though of course you can't control the number of other ships in port.

Longyearbyen - We were lucky to find a cruise that made it all the way up to Svalbard, and we contacted a local outfitter to book a trip for the day. Since we were there in early June, the ground was still extremely wet from the snowmelt, so a day hike wasn't a great option for us. Instead we took a half-day kayaking tour across the fjord to explore the abandoned mining village. There are plenty of independent excursion options that can be booked ahead of time (since you can't leave town without a rifle for polar bear protection).

You can also fly to Longyearbyen from Oslo but there's also nonstop flights 4 to 5 times per week from Tromso on SAS.

You can also fly to Longyearbyen from Oslo but there's also nonstop flights 4 to 5 times per week from Tromso on SAS.

I must have misunderstood. I thought the OP was looking for a cruise. My advice would be different for a non-cruise trip around Norway.

I must have misunderstood. I thought the OP was looking for a cruise. My advice would be different for a non-cruise trip around Norway.

You're correct, the OP is indeed asking about a cruise, but appears to not know about the ferry option which would fit in with what they want to do better than a cruise, as they mention a cruise being difficult. They don't want a touristy holiday with hordes of others, but an off the beaten trail type of thing and looking for ideas for less crowded ports that are scenic and offer hiking, waterfalls, fjords.

Edited by Rustybuttons123

We cruised in Norway with Oceania. They have 4 smaller ships (700 or so pax), so at least you wouldn't feel totally surrounded by people all the time. They aren't very family focused, but of course families are welcome. They go to some of the places that most of the larger ships don't go to. Of course, in any port, you won't necessarily be the only cruise ship there, so it's a little hard to predict how many people will be there! Oceania mostly does cruises that start out in one place and end in another. Their prices may seem a little high, but keep in mind that flights are almost always included in the price. They also often have more ports on the itineraries and fewer days at sea than the larger, better known lines - something that many people love but some don't. They also don't charge extra to dine at their specialty restaurants, plus basic drinks like sodas and bottled water to take off the ship with you are free.

Viking Oceans (the newest part of Viking Cruises) has some great cruises in Norway, as they are a Norwegian cruise line. They market to English speakers, though, so language would not be a problem. They are also a little expensive, with an older crowd and few children, so may not be the best choice for you. The ships carry around a thousand passengers, I think. Included in their cruise price is an excursion in each port, plus beer and wine during lunch and dinner. Their "Into the Midnight Sun" cruise has gotten good feedback on Cruise Critic.

As for which ports to choose, I also thought of Geiranger, which has been covered before. We loved Alesund for its beauty, but I don't know if it would hold the same appeal for an active family. We often rent a car on cruises, although we didn't do that in Geiranger or Alesund. If you start out early, you usually have enough time to do a lot more than just see the city you're visiting, and roads are usually quite good in Europe.

Edited by roothy123

Thank you so much for your advice! I really like the idea of the ferry, giving us the flexibility to book our trip into segments. I'm going to do a bit of research on that and I am sure I will be back with more questions! Thank you again!

Didn't take me long to come back with questions! I looked up the ferry and couldn't find an option to pick and choose ports to get on/off on, only pre-set cruises. I was specifically looking for a ferry from Alesund to Loften islands. Any advice on how to book that on their site?

Thanks

In the upper right corner of main page click on "menu", then on the left click "find a voyage", then select your ports. To change the number in cabin click on "select travellers", for 2 adults and 4 children you'll probably have to put 1 adult and 2 children in two cabins, so click "add another cabin" for the 2nd cabin.

Options with Hurtigruten would include booking shorter segments rather than a full cruise, which would then result in being on several different ships. When I went there were a number of people, both Norwegian and from other countries who did this. One couple rented a car in Bodo and took it onto the ship there, then got off in the Lofotens, planning to spend a week driving around the islands and hiking. Sounded like a great trip.

Hurtigruten is also now offering Expedition Coastal Cruises, which stay in ports a lot longer than their regular ferry service, with fewer stops in small towns. Right now this is only available on the MS Spitsbergen, but they plan to add this to other ship's voyages as an option as well. https://www.hurtigruten.us/us-travel-suggestions/ms-spitsbergen/

Didn't take me long to come back with questions! I looked up the ferry and couldn't find an option to pick and choose ports to get on/off on, only pre-set cruises. I was specifically looking for a ferry from Alesund to Loften islands. Any advice on how to book that on their site? Thanks

Glad you are coming back with questions, doing thoughtful research, etc. Keep doing this great advance planning. Glad you mentioned about the wonderful Lofoten Island.

I have shared with others . . . .

KEY NORWAY COAST CHALLENGE/QUESTION: Your major issue is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go farther north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice!!??

Agree with the experienced and skilled kaisatsu about: "Lofoten Islands - Rent a car and explore the islands. Visit one of the classic wooden fishing towns, and admire the dramatic mountain-to-sea scenery."

Below are a few of my visuals samples to give you ideas and potentials for so much to see and do along this scenic Norway coast. Plus, to help build the EXCITEMENT!! Many more on my full live/blog. Glad that you are aiming for July. On average, that is your best month, on average, for good weather there. Keep those good questions rolling along. Happy to share more and answer your detailed questions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 204,647 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords. Being up on the top of the boat can provide great view on BOTH sides as you sail up and down these various fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

Here is one of our first Lofoten Islands views from a stop early in the trip as we drove south towards “Å" along the A-10 highway from Leknes.

LofotenEarlyValleyViewRedBldg.jpg

We went to the end of the road as our “adventure” in the dramatic Lofoten Islands with our rental car. We stopped in a village called “A”. In their alphabet, this “A” has a small “o” above the letter. This is a simple name for a charming fishing town with spectacular scenery. We brought along box lunches from the ship and dined on a picnic table on the wooden dock with water and sights all around us. This was our dining view with the busy and noisy birds providing entertainment!!:

LofotenARedBldgBirds.jpg

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands of Norway on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg