Iguazo Falls- 01argentina

TiogaCruiser

Looked at using them as against doing it ourselves this past Feb and decided to go by ourselves as they were expensive. Had a fabulous time and we didn't need a guide at all. Both parks (Argentina and Brazil side) easily accessible. Stayed at Sheraton on Argentine side and it was soooooo easy and even with the extra cost of being in the park at the Sheraton, still cheaper than 01argentinas prices for staying in Iguazu township. Staying in the park is fabulous, you miss the crowds of buses because you can get into the park before they arrive and before it's too hot, can see the falls from the balcony having dinner and great place away from the crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by davwen81

No need for a tour agency. This is an easy DIY.

VidaNaPraia -

I'd appreciate your recommendations on how to structure our DIY visit. We (group of 4 adults) arrive at Iguassu Falls airport at 1 pm on Friday 1/6/17 and fly out on Sunday, 1/8/17 at 4 pm and are staying at the San Juan Eco Hotel between the airport and park. We definitely want to visit both sides of the park and the bird sanctuary. Do you think it best to spend Saturday - when we have the entire day - on the Argentine side and split up the Brazilian side for Friday afternoon and Sunday morning/early afternoon?

We aren't traveling light since this will be following a 31 day cruise from LA to Rio necessitating heavy clothes for going around Cape Horn. We plan on storing some of our luggage at the Rio airport (GIG) since we will be flying back to the States on Sunday night. Do you happen to have any info about the storage facility? I've found its name (Malex) and location on the second floor of terminal 1 but no info on pricing or even the exact size of the lockers.

Thanks for your help!

VidaNaPraia -

I'd appreciate your recommendations on how to structure our DIY visit. We (group of 4 adults) arrive at Iguassu Falls airport at 1 pm on Friday 1/6/17 and fly out on Sunday, 1/8/17 at 4 pm and are staying at the San Juan Eco Hotel between the airport and park. We definitely want to visit both sides of the park and the bird sanctuary. Do you think it best to spend Saturday - when we have the entire day - on the Argentine side and split up the Brazilian side for Friday afternoon and Sunday morning/early afternoon?

We aren't traveling light since this will be following a 31 day cruise from LA to Rio necessitating heavy clothes for going around Cape Horn. We plan on storing some of our luggage at the Rio airport (GIG) since we will be flying back to the States on Sunday night. Do you happen to have any info about the storage facility? I've found its name (Malex) and location on the second floor of terminal 1 but no info on pricing or even the exact size of the lockers.

Thanks for your help!

Your plan at the falls sounds fine, with the full day in Argentina. Take the boat ride under the falls from there.

The first day you probably have time to get your luggage to the hotel and walk the path on the Brazilian side (aneeds bout 3 hours). Last day, maybe the Bird Park, (not a "sanctuary". There are cages, house sized ones, but sti...) which is near the entrance to the Brazilian park.

At GIG. look for the signs that say "Guarda Volumes" to find the Malex facility. Last time I used it, there was a storage room as well as lockers. I didn't find the prices particularly cheap (It's according to size of bag.), but not outrageous unless you're leaving the stuff for weeks.

Your plan at the falls sounds fine, with the full day in Argentina. Take the boat ride under the falls from there.

The first day you probably have time to get your luggage to the hotel and walk the path on the Brazilian side (aneeds bout 3 hours). Last day, maybe the Bird Park, (not a "sanctuary". There are cages, house sized ones, but sti...) which is near the entrance to the Brazilian park.

At GIG. look for the signs that say "Guarda Volumes" to find the Malex facility. Last time I used it, there was a storage room as well as lockers. I didn't find the prices particularly cheap (It's according to size of bag.), but not outrageous unless you're leaving the stuff for weeks.

Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...
No need for a tour agency. This is an easy DIY.

I actually did a full comparison of DIY vs. 01Argentina. This was for two nights and three days. The pricing came out about the same for airfare, airport pickups, lodging, and tours of the Argentinian side of the falls and the rain forest. I didn't want to go to the Brazilian side as another rather expensive visa is required to do it. I booked with 01 Argentina and have received ALL of my vouchers including my plane tickets . Very easy and they let me pick my hotel

I actually did a full comparison of DIY vs. 01Argentina. This was for two nights and three days. The pricing came out about the same for airfare, airport pickups, lodging, and tours of the Argentinian side of the falls and the rain forest. I didn't want to go to the Brazilian side as another rather expensive visa is required to do it. I booked with 01 Argentina and have received ALL of my vouchers including my plane tickets . Very easy and they let me pick my hotel

I can't imagine how that could be. You do not need tours. A taxi would do fine. And for airport pickup as well. There are comfortable hotels at all price points, both in Puerto Iguazu (which tends to be cheaper anyway) and in Foz do Iguacu.

And to miss the Brazilian side, from which most of the iconic photos came that attracted you to this destination in the first place, is a mistake, IMO, after coming such a long way and spending so much overall.

I agree VidaNaPrai, we did BOTH sides stayed at the Sheraton in the park, got a taxi to Brazil side and taxis to/from the airport, had meals and all cheaper than what we were quoted from 01Argentina!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

We just booked air from BA to the Argentine side of the falls.

The air fares on the Aerolineas Argentine site were about 1/3 less than on other NA sites BUT they did not accept non Argentine credit cards on this site.

I called the 1800 Aerolineas number and spoke the agent. She gave me the call center number in BA, told me the hours of operation, and told me that they would accept credit card billing up to 5000 pesos ($350usd).

I selected my preferred flights on the Argentine web site, then used my long distance phone card to phone thier BA call center.

They have english speaking agents. Had my reservations taken immediately and the tickets emailed to me while I was still on the phone. You will need you passport numbers if you do this. It took about 10 minutes. The agent had to put the tickets on our Visa one charge at a time. All in all we saved about $100. per ticket doing this. It was very straighforward.

Edited by iancal

I ended up booking with the cruise line for a 2 night package. For my circumstances and factoring in total cost of the cruise and insurance, it was only a slight bit more than DIY.

I finally got the iguazu extension itinerary from the cruise line and am planning to do the Brazilian side in our free time in the afternoon. How long should I expect to spend there? It would be afternoon as our AM is the Argentine side (its day 2 of the tour). Is there more fog in the afternoon typically?

I have a contact with an agency guide who offers a private trip from the Sheraton to the Brazil side and back for $160 US. Does that sound about right?

I ended up booking with the cruise line for a 2 night package. For my circumstances and factoring in total cost of the cruise and insurance, it was only a slight bit more than DIY.

I finally got the iguazu extension itinerary from the cruise line and am planning to do the Brazilian side in our free time in the afternoon. How long should I expect to spend there? It would be afternoon as our AM is the Argentine side (its day 2 of the tour). Is there more fog in the afternoon typically?

I have a contact with an agency guide who offers a private trip from the Sheraton to the Brazil side and back for $160 US. Does that sound about right?

I'd love to see your figures for DIY in that case. One person's "slight bit" must be another's "a fortune".

The Brazilian side of the park takes about 3 hours to walk the path and take some photos. You may want to see the Bird Park (house sized cages you can enter and be up close and personal with macaws, parrots, etc --an amazing experience) which might take another couple of hours.

U$160 for that trip is highway robbery!

I'd love to see your figures for DIY in that case. One person's "slight bit" must be another's "a fortune".

The Brazilian side of the park takes about 3 hours to walk the path and take some photos. You may want to see the Bird Park (house sized cages you can enter and be up close and personal with macaws, parrots, etc --an amazing experience) which might take another couple of hours.

U$160 for that trip is highway robbery!

For my price comparison I am taking in the total cost of the cruise, Pretour, air and cancel any reason insurance coverage, (including return IF I have to cancel) for my specific needs and exposures. Yes, my numbers for DIY do come in much lower for the iguazu portion alone. But I have to look at all angles, total cost, and that is where the difference lies.

About how much would I expect to pay a taxi from Argentina side round trip?

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Yes, RT.

I imagine so. I'm a more frugal traveler and use the easy local public buses.

About how long is the ride?

Can I assume most people in that area of Brazil also speak some Spanish or English?

(I understand the local language is Portuguese and the similarities of the languages.)

About how long is the ride?

Can I assume most people in that area of Brazil also speak some Spanish or English?

(I understand the local language is Portuguese and the similarities of the languages.)

iirc it takes about 45 minutes. Have the hotel arrange a driver.

Assume most Brazilians speak Portuguese, period. In this border area, some Brazilians may speak Spanish. Most Brazilians do not recognize similarities between the languages. English speakers are not easy to find, even in the tourist sector, but the hotel surely has at least one person who does. Bring a phrase book/dictionary and prepare to be creative when out and about.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

iirc it takes about 45 minutes. Have the hotel arrange a driver.

Assume most Brazilians speak Portuguese, period. In this border area, some Brazilians may speak Spanish. Most Brazilians do not recognize similarities between the languages. English speakers are not easy to find, even in the tourist sector, but the hotel surely has at least one person who does. Bring a phrase book/dictionary and prepare to be creative when out and about.

Vida,

We are going to Iguazu March 15 through March 18 from Buenos Aires. Are you saying that one does not need a Brazilian Visa to take a taxi over to the other side?

Joe:):):)

Vida,

We are going to Iguazu March 15 through March 18 from Buenos Aires. Are you saying that one does not need a Brazilian Visa to take a taxi over to the other side?

However did you read that into anything I wrote?

Of course you need a Brazilian visa (if carrying a US passport).

You must get stamped out of Argentina at their booth and into Brazil at theirs. The opposite on the way back. The taxi will stop for you to do this, or the driver may be willing to take the passports inside for you. (The days of a driver crossing the border without stopping at border control seem to be over.)

Edited by VidaNaPraia

However did you read that into anything I wrote?

Of course you need a Brazilian visa (if carrying a US passport).

You must get stamped out of Argentina at their booth and into Brazil at theirs. The opposite on the way back. The taxi will stop for you to do this, or the driver may be willing to take the passports inside for you. (The days of a driver crossing the border without stopping at border control seem to be over.)

Thank you for your response. It was just a case of not seeing any mention of visas in various comments. I have done enough business trips to Brazil to know that you need a visa, mine has expired unfortunately and my days of doing business down there are over so no real need for a one off visit visa.

Again, thank you for your valued input....Brigada

Thank you for your response. It was just a case of not seeing any mention of visas in various comments. I have done enough business trips to Brazil to know that you need a visa, mine has expired unfortunately and my days of doing business down there are over so no real need for a one off visit visa.

Again, thank you for your valued input....Brigada

Just realize that most of the iconic photos, the spectacular views, that probably draw most tourists to the falls, are taken from the Brazilian side of the park.

The Bird Park on the Brazilian side is a unique experience, one that allows macaws, parrots and other birds to come as close as they wish to you; some came right next to me. Unforgettable!

And btw, Joe, men say Obrigado, with an O. The A form is spoken BY women, not TO women.

Just realize that most of the iconic photos, the spectacular views, that probably draw most tourists to the falls, are taken from the Brazilian side of the park.

The Bird Park on the Brazilian side is a unique experience, one that allows macaws, parrots and other birds to come as close as they wish to you; some came right next to me. Unforgettable!

And btw, Joe, men say Obrigado, with an O. The A form is spoken BY women, not TO women.

Obrigado, been too many years since my last visit and too many years elsewhere. Will stick with the Argentinian side and our stay at the Sheraton, plus we have walked amongst the various bird species on a number of occasions, Manaus and the Amazon, the forests of Costa Rica and the outback in Australia plus, plus....

However, if people can do both sides then we say do it..