Discover the South - transfers to and from Southampton

Hi

I have searched this forum and there are lots of recommendations for Discover the South (division of WestQuaycars.com) on here but they are old

I am a travel agent but my suppliers' rates are much higher than the quote I just got from Discover the South (235 GBP roundtrip in May from Heathrow to the Grand Harbour hotel and home from the port to Heathrow).

I would love some recent experience with them.

Yes, Discover the South is the touring division of West Quay Cars. Their drivers aren't guides, but WQC put their most experienced, knowledgeable and customer-orientated drivers on DtS jobs.

The rate they,ve quoted is about £50 to £60 total more than simple transfers.

Is there a reason for more than a simple point-to-point driver ?

JB :)

Yes, Discover the South is the touring division of West Quay Cars. Their drivers aren't guides, but WQC put their most experienced, knowledgeable and customer-orientated drivers on DtS jobs.

The rate they,ve quoted is about £50 to £60 total more than simple transfers.

Is there a reason for more than a simple point-to-point driver ?

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. We don't need anything more than point to point. Last time we did Southampton we got a driver who took us to Stonehenge first. If there is a less expensive supplier I'd love to know! But would love it knowing someone has used successfully. Don't want to be stranded at LHR or Southampton!

I just received a quote for 6 people from Smiths for Airports - $106 GBP (99 $ 7 for parking). This is for transfer from Heathrow to Southampton. Good reviews.

Yes, http://www.smithsforairports.com

This operator has an excellent reputation for both quality and price and is by far the most frequently used by Cruise Critic members

Like any operator they can quote for a stop at Stonehenge on the way - it adds about 50 minutes to the journey time, and Stonehenge is worth a stop of 60 to 90 minutes. And you can add mebbe an hour at Salisbury, mainly for the cathedral.

You'll probably already know that there are audio-guides at Stonehenge, but be aware that since the opening of its new visitor centre about 3 years ago, to be sure of avoiding delay or disappointment you need to pre- book timed tickets.

Yes, http://www.smithsforairports.com

This operator has an excellent reputation for both quality and price and is by far the most frequently used by Cruise Critic members

Like any operator they can quote for a stop at Stonehenge on the way - it adds about 50 minutes to the journey time, and Stonehenge is worth a stop of 60 to 90 minutes. And you can add mebbe an hour at Salisbury, mainly for the cathedral.

You'll probably already know that there are audio-guides at Stonehenge, but be aware that since the opening of its new visitor centre about 3 years ago, to be sure of avoiding delay or disappointment you need to pre- book timed tickets.

Thanks John! I had heard of Smiths but never had a recommendation. I will ask for a quote. Last time we did Southampton we did stop at Stonehenge but that was before the new visitor center. My son and his girlfriend visited there this September and I couldn't believe how far they had to walk to the ruins.

I'll let you all know what my quote is for the transfer.

Hi

I have searched this forum and there are lots of recommendations for Discover the South (division of WestQuaycars.com) on here but they are old

I am a travel agent but my suppliers' rates are much higher than the quote I just got from Discover the South (235 GBP roundtrip in May from Heathrow to the Grand Harbour hotel and home from the port to Heathrow).

I would love some recent experience with them.

If your suppliers' rates are much higher than the £235 quote from DTS, for a simple point to point, looks to me to need to find another supplier! In your search of this forum you will see many, many recommendations for Smiths for Airports. We also just got a quote from them, same as "cruise52", £99 for 6 people plus parking charge of £7 from Heathrow and £3 on the return.