RE: Athens

Karen2912

Going to Athens in late April, into the Port Piras need to find out which is the best way to travel around.

Ie. Hop on Hop Off Bus versus trains and buses

Wanting to visit most of the tourist sites.

Regards

Karen

HoHo leaves from the cruise terminals so is probably the easiest way to get to the city. The HoHo takes you from Piraeus to near the Acropolis. You can visit the Acropolis then take a second route into the city of Athens.

You will need to return to the Acropolis stop and change back to the other line to get back to the ship.

Cost was very reasonable as we got pensioner rates!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The new express bus (do a search on this forum for more info) also leaves from right at the terminals and is very inexpensive. If you're just looking for transportation I'd recommend it. The central area of Athens is very walkable once you get there. No need for transport to get around from the Acropolis to the Agora to the Acropolis museum to the Temple of Olympian Zeus, etc.

It depends on how much a DIY'er you are. The HoHo's are convenient as they stop by the terminal. But as others have mentioned, the express bus is pretty convenient (also stops just by the terminal) and inexpensive with many/most of the key sites you'd probably want to focus on if it's your first time within walking distance of a core area.

We had an overnight in Athens last year and just used the express bus to get into town. The only caveat is that for anyone with an overnight and planning to stay late, the express bus back to the terminal may only run to a certain hour (10pm'ish? but should check as timetables can change). We missed the last bus so we had to cobble together a different route back to the terminal with the help of google maps.

Good point about the dates. It started on April 30th in 2016 and was still running into November.

I have emailed the transport company to ask them if it is currently running or when it is planned to start in 2017.

When I get a reply I will post here.