Flying into Boston same day (NCL)

Beachiekeen

We are booked for a cruise out of Boston in late October. We were planning to take a flight from Dallas that would have us arriving at 11:43 a.m. The ship (NCL Dawn) leaves at 4:00 but I have read we need to be on the ship two hours prior. Are we ok with this flight or should we do something else? Are they really strict with the 2-hour thing? Coming in the night before is not ideal due to work but I could look for other flights I guess.

Logan Airport is notoriously slow in delivering your luggage. I've waited up to an hour. I believe you need to be on the ship 2 hrs to 90 minutes prior to departure and it seems to be some government regulation (don't know which one).

The good news is the airport is a short taxi ride to the airport (will be 20 minutes or so but no longer than 30 minutes).

We are booked for a cruise out of Boston in late October. We were planning to take a flight from Dallas that would have us arriving at 11:43 a.m. The ship (NCL Dawn) leaves at 4:00 but I have read we need to be on the ship two hours prior. Are we ok with this flight or should we do something else? Are they really strict with the 2-hour thing? Coming in the night before is not ideal due to work but I could look for other flights I guess.

Is that the very first flight from DFW? What airline? Is it nonstop?

The problem is that no one is going to tell you it's a terrific idea to fly in the day of the cruise. You have no wiggle room. If you miss the ship, Bermuda is the next port.

What are your flight options the day before? I'm seeing a 4* Hotwire hotel in Back Bay/Copley for Oct 19 for $121 plus tax and fees, which is an absolutely fantastic deal. Someone else booked this offer and it was the Sheraton, but there are no guarantees. Regardless, it will be a wonderful hotel.

Is that the very first flight from DFW? What airline? Is it nonstop?

The problem is that no one is going to tell you it's a terrific idea to fly in the day of the cruise. You have no wiggle room. If you miss the ship, Bermuda is the next port.

What are your flight options the day before? I'm seeing a 4* Hotwire hotel in Back Bay/Copley for Oct 19 for $121 plus tax and fees, which is an absolutely fantastic deal. Someone else booked this offer and it was the Sheraton, but there are no guarantees. Regardless, it will be a wonderful hotel.

Yeah I know it's never advised and we've actually never done it either. The problem is work--my husband would have to take an extra day off and that's not ideal for him as he is a teacher. Yes that's the earliest flight. There is an 8:40 pm the night before that gets in at 1:00 am which is pretty horrible. We may reconsider as anything can happen. Thanks for the rec--hubby's brother actually lives in Boston and is hosting us after the cruise but we may decide to just do a hotel if we come in late the day before.

Yeah I know it's never advised and we've actually never done it either. The problem is work--my husband would have to take an extra day off and that's not ideal for him as he is a teacher. Yes that's the earliest flight. There is an 8:40 pm the night before that gets in at 1:00 am which is pretty horrible. We may reconsider as anything can happen. Thanks for the rec--hubby's brother actually lives in Boston and is hosting us after the cruise but we may decide to just do a hotel if we come in late the day before.

Just remember that a 1 am arrival is midnight central time.

Also the Hotwire deal won't last forever. My best guess us that the Sheraton is trying to fill up their hotel next October. This is the 4th time I've seen this offering for an Oct date.

I am assuming you are thinking of flying on a Friday and using AA. Depending on what time you can leave there are a couple of other options that leave about 3pm and arrive in Boston at 9 and 10pm. One connects in ORD and the other in DCA. Or you can take the late direct flight at arrives in Boston at 1am local (or midnight Tx time). Another option is to take a repo flight Friday evening and catch an early sat morning flight form someplace like CLT, DCA or ORD into Boston. (all this assuming you want to stay on AA). You can also look at going into Boston via Untied or Delta (most likely connecting in Detroit, Atlanta, Chicago, Houston). You really do have many options going form big city to big city.

Well, we decided to come in the day before. In the end, it just seemed too risky. My boss gifted us points at the Aloft so we are all set.

Excellent decision! What a wonderful gift from your boss! Now you will have peace of mind. What time do you arrive? If it's late, I would call Aloft the day of travel to tell them about your late arrival and to ask them to block out a room for you.

Excellent decision! What a wonderful gift from your boss! Now you will have peace of mind. What time do you arrive? If it's late, I would call Aloft the day of travel to tell them about your late arrival and to ask them to block out a room for you.

Our flight gets in around 3:00 I think. We just decided to take the whole additional day off. In the end it's worth it for peace of mind. Lesson learned! :)

Yes, it was very nice of him. They really jack up the rates for that night--I'm sure they know why we are there!

Edited by Beachiekeen

Our flight gets in around 3:00 I think. We just decided to take the whole additional day off. In the end it's worth it for peace of mind. Lesson learned! :)

Yes, it was very nice of him. They really jack up the rates for that night--I'm sure they know why we are there!

Unbelievably those are pretty normal rates in Boston for a business travel night. It really doesn't have anything to do with cruises. My guess is that there will be deals later on, but that doesn't help folks who want to book now.

Unbelievably those are pretty normal rates in Boston for a business travel night. It really doesn't have anything to do with cruises. My guess is that there will be deals later on, but that doesn't help folks who want to book now.

Well when we priced a random Thursday in February it was much cheaper. At any rate (ha!), we're just happy to have it taken care of now. :)

No one wants to come here in February. In October, with the regatta, leaf peeping, conventions and college Homecomings we are VERY popular.

Ha Ha! My feelings exactly. That's why I'm sailing away in 12 days.

I have been very successful in getting inexpensive hotel rooms in the winter to deal with weather events that affect commuting and travel. Over the last few years DH has had the pleasure of experiencing the Theater District hotels as well as the Quincy/Dorchester hotels. It's amazing what these "not top tier" are charging for next Oct.