Freeport & Nassau Snorkel Recommendations

SweetPea0517

We are going here late April early May & looking for snorkeling suggestions for 2 couples with one of the spouses who will say in the boat or on the beach. We would prefer not doing a ship excursion since they never give us enough snorkel time we like.

We would like to hear your suggestions for a beach to snorkel from & how you got there. Plus private snorkel excursions. The cost of a private excursion may be an issue for the other couple is why I would like to have both recommendations.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I second deadmans reef. If you do it on your own, tell a driver at the port you want to go. They may try to talk you into going somewhere else. The posted fee is $8.00/pp each way & takes about 15 minutes. The entry fee is $3 or $4 pp. You can rent snorkel equipment there or take your own & snorkel from the beach or for $5/pp they can take you out in a boat. For the day we had about $80 in it for four people. If someone in your party doesn't want to snorkel, they can hang out in a covered area or the beach. There are also chairs for rent. You can also book direct on the website for $39.99 pp including transportation, but was double what we paid on our own. That is a great deal. The owner is very responsive to emailed questions.

We are booked for dead man's reef (paradise cove) in a couple of weeks, the reviews sound great! We booked directly through the website.

We did snorkeling through Blue hole watersports a year or two ago and had a great time. It is a short walk from the port on the beach at the Hilton and the boats are small...it was just the 4 of us. He took us to a place out off of an island and we snorkeled there for a good 30 minutes and then went to a beautiful coral reef. It was just us and we spent at least 45 minutes snorkeling. We then went around Atlantis and got some nice pictures. My MIL stayed on the boat and still had a great time. I want to say we paid around $65 a person? My son was 6 at the time and had a blast.

We are booked for dead man's reef (paradise cove) in a couple of weeks, the reviews sound great! We booked directly through the website.

We did snorkeling through Blue hole watersports a year or two ago and had a great time. It is a short walk from the port on the beach at the Hilton and the boats are small...it was just the 4 of us. He took us to a place out off of an island and we snorkeled there for a good 30 minutes and then went to a beautiful coral reef. It was just us and we spent at least 45 minutes snorkeling. We then went around Atlantis and got some nice pictures. My MIL stayed on the boat and still had a great time. I want to say we paid around $65 a person? My son was 6 at the time and had a blast.

Let us know how your experience with Dead Man's Reef goes. Seriously considering them for our June cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
I contacted pat and Diane's for tour in may and just received e-mail that tour was cancelled due to damage from recent hurricanes !![emoji22][emoji22]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is a bummer! Have you decided on another excursion yet?

Following as we want to snorkel on our Freeport day and are trying to figure out which company/place is best for us.

Have you made any decisions yet?

We may just do Stuart's Cove in Nassau then just day a beach pass at Grand Lucayan hotel but I need to call & confirm this yet.

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone verify if water shoes are needed at Deadman's Reef? I've heard its rather rocky.

We were there a few years ago and yes, it is rocky. Wish we had packed water shoes. We enjoyed our time there and for the $35/pp we would not hesitate to go back.

• 1 month later...

just cameback from deadmans reef. we had flippers so we walked out in bare feet until it got deeper. it was very rocky and slippery. we saw alot of fish. there was a turtle but it was too far away to get a good look. some saw nurse sharks. definitely book throug deadmansreef.com and not the cruise ship. we booked through carnival for approx 3 hour tour. took little over 1/2 hour to get there, 20 minutes to get gear, then only 45 of snorkeling. one hour was just waiting for bus to come back. wish i had booked directly with deadmansreef.com

• 10 months later...