Malta Questions

We will be in Malta on a cruise in October, This is our first time, and we want to see what's important to us, without racing around to see everything. We have a long stay in Valletta, on a day that appears to have about 14,000 cruise passengers. (Yuk! I had hoped Malta wouldn't be of interest, and we could just stay onboard.) The following day, we stop in Mgarr for a few hours. We would like to see St. John's Cathedral and St. Paul's Shipwreck churches; the war rooms; and Game of Thrones locations. (I'm somewhat confused about GoT locations, as I've seen mention of the Malta connection, and Croatia, as well. We're both ports used in the series, or do I have misinformation?) Are any of these within a reasonable (for 70-somethings) walking distance of either of the ports? If not, would a half day tour be sufficient, or must we find an all-day tour (not our favorite.)

Edited by nonni2
Concern about misinformation

This website might help clarify the locations on Malta and Gozo that were used in GoT. Apparently they moved to Croatia in the second series because of environmental concerns at some Maltese locations.

http://www.thetraveltester.com/game-thrones-locations-malta-gozo/

You would need to get a bus or taxi from Valletta to Mdina or Rabat, for example.

There is a fairly frequent and cheap bus service from Valletta to the ferry terminal at Cirkewwa at the northern end of the island for Gozo; if I recall correctly the bus journey takes about 45-60 mins. On Gozo you would probably be able to find a taxi to provide you with a tour.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On the island of Valetta there is a pretty decent public transit system. The bus station is not too far from the port, but up on top of the steep hill that overlooks the port. There is an elevator that can get you up that hill, or its a pretty steep walk (we love the exercise). Just about everyone speaks English on Malta, so its pretty easy to get directions or help if needed.

Mgarr (on Gozo) is a different story. The port is somewhat isolated and you need to use some kind of shuttle bus (or taxi) to get from the port into town. This is a lovely green island with some interesting coastal areas...but public transit is somewhat limited. When we visit Gozo we prefer to get our own rental car. But I recall there is a double decker sightseeing bus that takes in the top sites of the island.

Hank