Itinerary help for old and young group

fun1367

We are a group of 8 ranging from 5 and 7 yrs old to 80. Visiting at end of August and ship will dock at King's Wharf for 3 days. I am trying to come up with a suitable itinerary for everyone! Please comment.

For the kids and beginner swimmers, thinking of Horseshoe Bay and Tobacco Bay for beach/snorkel day. How deep is water at Tobacco Bay? Understand there is kids area at Horseshoe. What other south shore beaches are good for this group?

How is the Glass bottom boat tour for this group?

The older folks will visit St George and Hamilton and Crystal Caves. Is the latter worth visiting?

The more energetic may like to visit Tom Moore's Jungle. Just read that its underwater caves and pools are off limits! So what's to do there? Trekking and trails only? Are trails mostly in the shade? Thinking of visiting in the afternoon after St George/ Tobacco Bay. Possibility of getting lost if DIY?

For the golfer, what would be an easy accessible golf course?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

We are a group of 8 ranging from 5 and 7 yrs old to 80. Visiting at end of August and ship will dock at King's Wharf for 3 days. I am trying to come up with a suitable itinerary for everyone! Please comment.

For the kids and beginner swimmers, thinking of Horseshoe Bay and Tobacco Bay for beach/snorkel day. How deep is water at Tobacco Bay? Understand there is kids area at Horseshoe. What other south shore beaches are good for this group?

How is the Glass bottom boat tour for this group?

The older folks will visit St George and Hamilton and Crystal Caves. Is the latter worth visiting?

The more energetic may like to visit Tom Moore's Jungle. Just read that its underwater caves and pools are off limits! So what's to do there? Trekking and trails only? Are trails mostly in the shade? Thinking of visiting in the afternoon after St George/ Tobacco Bay. Possibility of getting lost if DIY?

For the golfer, what would be an easy accessible golf course?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Tobacco Bay is shallow. At Horseshoe there is a cove to the right that some call a baby beach. I would consider that appropriate for toddlers.

As far as the Crystal Caves, if you have been to any of the large caves in the US you might not think much of them. I didn't but I had soon the hugh caves in the US, if you have never been in a cave they could be of interest. Be aware that they are approx 88 steep steps down and up. No elevators.

Tom Moores Jungle, since you are going in August I would check back later for 2017 trip reports for the actual scoop. I wouldn't go by a few lines from a newspaper article. I don't think I would worry about getting lost DIY. If you get lost you will figure it out.

For Golf, my friend who golfs has done most of l the courses, the last seven years he has settled Port Royal, which is in Somerset, not far from the Dockyard.

Hi Charles,Appreciate your reply. Thanks for tips on the beach and golf course. Would the underground Crystal Caves be cooler in the hot August afternoon? Maybe some may consider visiting even though not spectacular just to get out of the sun! Will be mindful of the many steps!

Will keep track of what's happening at Tom Moore's. No sense of venturing out there if one can't take a dip in the cool water. Right?

Hi Charles,Appreciate your reply. Thanks for tips on the beach and golf course. Would the underground Crystal Caves be cooler in the hot August afternoon? Maybe some may consider visiting even though not spectacular just to get out of the sun! Will be mindful of the many steps!

Will keep track of what's happening at Tom Moore's. No sense of venturing out there if one can't take a dip in the cool water. Right?

It is cool inside the caves. But you might have to wait outside some to get in. The caves are not large so they take small groups in at a time. The grounds that the caves are on are very nice, and there were benches to sit on if there is a wait time. There are two caves and you can see one or both. There are differing opinions on which one is best. Crystal Cave, the smaller of the two has a deep pool of crystal clear water. Fantasy Cave is larger. I like Crystal because the deep pool and to me it is a prettier cave. Others prefer Fantasy Cave because it is larger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, Charles, Crystal Cave sounds very pleasant for a visit. Guess will take ferry to Hamilton and then bus. If we purchase 15-tickets booklet can we split it up for 2 families going different places? Or everyone has to travel together to use the transportation booklet?

Thanks, Charles, Crystal Cave sounds very pleasant for a visit. Guess will take ferry to Hamilton and then bus. If we purchase 15-tickets booklet can we split it up for 2 families going different places? Or everyone has to travel together to use the transportation booklet?

You can take a ferry to either Hamilton or St. George's and then take a bus to the caves. You can share ticket booklets, split them up, but ticket booklets are not sold at the Dockyard. You would not be able to get them until getting to Hamilton or St. George's. They only sell tokens and One or Two day transportation passes at the Dockyard Visitor Information Centers. You would have to do the math as to whether it is worth it to get ticket booklets or just get tokens since you will need tokens to get to Hamilton and St. George's where you can buy the booklets. Tokens are $4.50 for adults, $2.75 for children 5 to 15. Under 5 free.

for the jungle this was my experience. take the bus to the swizzle in. go down to the gas station and get water etc if you need it then go further down the hill toward the water. on the otherside is an entrance to the jungle. we didnt spend more than 1 or 2 hours there but even just at that 'end' of the jungle there were nice caves and trails and a surprise or 2 in there. we couldnt find the more extensive trails to go further but i feel just in that limited area is is so well worth it to do something you cannot do many other places. the caves were very cool

You can take a ferry to either Hamilton or St. George's and then take a bus to the caves. You can share ticket booklets, split them up, but ticket booklets are not sold at the Dockyard. You would not be able to get them until getting to Hamilton or St. George's. They only sell tokens and One or Two day transportation passes at the Dockyard Visitor Information Centers. You would have to do the math as to whether it is worth it to get ticket booklets or just get tokens since you will need tokens to get to Hamilton and St. George's where you can buy the booklets. Tokens are $4.50 for adults, $2.75 for children 5 to 15. Under 5 free.

Your transportation info is most helpful. Thank you very much. Ticket booklet seems to be best but unfortunately not easy to obtain!!! Guess Will have to figure out the best economic fares for such a large group. Will be visiting Horseshoe Bay, Hamilton, St George, Crystal Cave, Tobacco Bay......

for the jungle this was my experience. take the bus to the swizzle in. go down to the gas station and get water etc if you need it then go further down the hill toward the water. on the otherside is an entrance to the jungle. we didnt spend more than 1 or 2 hours there but even just at that 'end' of the jungle there were nice caves and trails and a surprise or 2 in there. we couldnt find the more extensive trails to go further but i feel just in that limited area is is so well worth it to do something you cannot do many other places. the caves were very cool

Thank you, Luckyinpa, for the detailed instruction to TMJ. Sound like a fun destination. Some of us are interested if it is not unbearable hot and sunny in the August heat. Any shade? Might not be able to cool off in the pool/underground water aS they may be closed to swimming! Is it easy to navigate the trails? Could you get lost exploring the caves? Would like to find the 'surprises'.

Thank you, Luckyinpa, for the detailed instruction to TMJ. Sound like a fun destination. Some of us are interested if it is not unbearable hot and sunny in the August heat. Any shade? Might not be able to cool off in the pool/underground water aS they may be closed to swimming! Is it easy to navigate the trails? Could you get lost exploring the caves? Would like to find the 'surprises'.

I don't think it is 'might'. My understanding of the article in the Royal Gazette is that there is no swimming. Here is the thread with the link to the article. Be sure to read the post in the thread by member Charles4515 about the new ‘Hidden Gems of Bermuda’ mobile app.

SBtS

I don't think it is 'might'. My understanding of the article in the Royal Gazette is that there is no swimming. Here is the thread with the link to the article. Be sure to read the post in the thread by member Charles4515 about the new ‘Hidden Gems of Bermuda’ mobile app.

SBtS

Am aware of article on closing of pools but just hope for the best! May have favourable development when summer comes along!!! Thanks for suggestions to check 'hidden gems of Bermuda'.

Be advised the Tobacco Bay is pretty small, so if there are two ships in port it will be very crowded. The water is mostly shallow, anywhere from 2 feet to 4 feet, until you head way out.

When we did St. George, we hit the St. Catherine's fort which is very cool, kids would really like this.

Be advised the Tobacco Bay is pretty small, so if there are two ships in port it will be very crowded. The water is mostly shallow, anywhere from 2 feet to 4 feet, until you head way out.

When we did St. George, we hit the St. Catherine's fort which is very cool, kids would really like this.

Thanks very much for the head-ups on Tobacco Bay and St Catherine's. Think the kids will have a ball!

There is a beautiful beach right next to St. Catherine's Fort. It is usually empty but the beach area is beautiful. There are no facilities or concessions there but, as I said, the beach is beautiful. I believe it is call Gate's Bay.

The beach on Gates Bay is St. Catherine's Beach. If they start construction on the St. Regis Hotel access to that beach may be problematic this year. That is a big if. They did kick off the short lived recent concession in anticipation.

St Catherine's.

That is great of La-la-gal, Flowers44 and Charles4515 to suggest other sites of St Catherine's besides Tobacco Bay for us. Our group is happily deciding to spend full day at St George:)! We will beach hop:cool: between Tobacco and Gates, visit the fort and then rest of time at the historical town. Since it is in August with very young and old, will it be better to take the shuttle bus:rolleyes:? Do they run often? So very thankful for all your great suggestions.

St Catherine's.

That is great of La-la-gal, Flowers44 and Charles4515 to suggest other sites of St Catherine's besides Tobacco Bay for us. Our group is happily deciding to spend full day at St George:)! We will beach hop:cool: between Tobacco and Gates, visit the fort and then rest of time at the historical town. Since it is in August with very young and old, will it be better to take the shuttle bus:rolleyes:? Do they run often? So very thankful for all your great suggestions.

August can be hot and humid. I usually walk to all those places in St.George's but ended up taking taxis when I was there in August because of the combined heat and humidity. YMMV. The question of whether there will be shuttles in St.George's and if there are shuttles, on what schedules has been changeable from year to year. Last year the St. George's shuttle info was announced late. Best to check back in May/June for answers to that question. Taxis are inexpensive to take between places within St. George's because the distances are not far but seven is the most that can be accommodated in one taxi.

Those who book the late April and early May cruises are in a some sense "beta testers" for every Bermuda cruise season. Since you are going in August there should be pretty good info available for this year by the time of your sailing.

Edited by Charles4515

St Catherine's.

We took the ferry over then took a cab to St. Catherine's fort. From there it was a nice walk to get to Tobacco Bay.

Thank you for suggestions to take taxi. It is very helpful of evrryone to offer so much advice. Will have to do homework:( aS cruise draws near to check for Tom Moore's, ferry schedule, shuttle service.....But I know we will all(young and old and in between) have a great time and most importantly able to maximize our time at Bermuda:D!