Iguazu Falls - Traveling from Brazilian to Argentinian side of Falls

jjmprod1963

Hi - We're going to be staying on night in a hotel on the Brazilian side of the Iguazu Falls and would like to travel over to the Argentinian side of the falls as well. Has anyone done this, and how did you do it (tour guide, bus, etc.)? I read that American citizens need to show a "reciprocity document" to cross the border. Does anyone know what the is and how to obtain one?

Thanks for your help!

Hi - We're going to be staying on night in a hotel on the Brazilian side of the Iguazu Falls and would like to travel over to the Argentinian side of the falls as well. Has anyone done this, and how did you do it (tour guide, bus, etc.)? I read that American citizens need to show a "reciprocity document" to cross the border. Does anyone know what the is and how to obtain one? Thanks for your help!

If the reciprocity document is proof of payment of the Argentine reciprocity fee that was suspended for Americans last March and officially waived last summer. It is still in effect for many other nationalities and is bought on-line and is good for 10 years.

We did this in early January and arranged the drive (there were 4 of us and a Brazilian family of 3 in a very comfortable van) through the tour guide company in our hotel. We had to provide our passport info to the company ahead of time since they had to complete an official document (or maybe two documents) listing all the passengers. On the day of the trip we left the hotel early aiming to be at the park when it opened and brought our passports. At the border our driver got in line and handed the paperwork to the Argentine officials - that took less than 5 minutes. The surprise to us - obviously not to the driver - was that we had to show all the paperwork again to the Argentine officials when leaving the country. Around 5 pm (on a Saturday) the line of vehicles was more than 1/2 hour long and it took about 10 minutes for the driver to handle the paperwork with the officials. Passing into Brazil took only a couple of minutes.

Don't let this dissuade you. The falls are one of the most beautiful vistas I've ever seen anywhere in the world! Since you are staying on the Brazilian side make sure you visit that park too. It is a shorter visit (a couple of hours versus a full day) and you will have a view of the boardwalks you will walk on the Argentine side.

You can take a tour, grab a taxi, or just take the local public bus. Depends on your travel style and budget. The buses are fairly straight forward, but the trip involves a change of bus.

All forms of transport go through the immigration booths at the border. Out of Brazil (1 booth) and into Argentina (1 booth).

(As mentioned the Argentine reciprocity fee for US passport holders is no longer a requirement.) Then on the way back, out of Argentina and into Brazil.

Not that it's such a big deal to do it on your own, but taxi drivers can carry the documents inside to get stamped for you.

Enjoy.

After a cruise ending in Buenos Aires my husband and I are flying into IGR (landing around noon) which is the Iguazú Falls airport on the Argentinian side and 3 nights later flying out of IGU (leaving around 7 PM) which is the airport on the Brazilian side. We will be staying near Iguazú Falls for 3 nights and want to split nights between the Sheraton Iguazú Resort & Spa (Argentina) and the Belmond Hotel das Cataratas (Brazil). Both resorts are located in their country's national park. Can you help me decide whether we should stay 2 nights at the Sheraton and then 1 night at the Belmond OR should we stay 1 night at the Sheraton and 2 nights at the Belmond? And if you have ideas for an itinerary, please include those as well. Thanks!!

With that itinerary I would spend 2 nights in Argentina and 1 in Brazil. The Argentine park is larger and more time consuming. If you have any interest in birds you should have plenty of time to go to the bird park near the entrance of the Brazilian park. We spent about 2 hours there (and probably could have spent at least another 1/2 hour) and enjoying seeing birds from around the world. Some are in large cages, more are in aviaries and there are some that are allowed free range. http://www.parquedasaves.com.br/en/ and https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303444-d737277-Reviews-Parque_das_Aves-Foz_do_Iguacu_State_of_Parana.html

One more question to add to this discussion please:

We are staying at Sheraton Iguazu in the Argentine park for 2 nights. We plan to do a half day trip to the Brazil side on the second day. I know we will be paying the Brazil Park fee to enter there, and we will have paid a fee to enter the Argentine side when we arrive.

But will we have to buy pay a second Argentine entry fee to re-enter the park and get back to the hotel on the Argentine side when we return? or does the fee we pay to enter Argentina's park on the first day cover for both days?

And what is the current fee for the Argentine side in AR?