Granada excursions

fun1367

Last year we did HAL's excursion from Malaga to Granada. The main attraction was the Alhambra. HAL did not have to do much but get us there as once there a local guide took over. The Alhambra is a great place to visit.

Last year we did HAL's excursion from Malaga to Granada. The main attraction was the Alhambra. HAL did not have to do much but get us there as once there a local guide took over. The Alhambra is a great place to visit.

Glad you had a great time. Local guides at Alhambra pretty good? Do you have enough time for the palaces and gardens? We are thinking of doing the ship's tour so as not to worry about long travel/delays. If RCL also engages local guides then we have no worry about its tour being mediocre. Hate to spend so much time and money for lousy tours.

The Alhambra is lovely but the day can be very exhausting (lots of steps) especially if you are visiting in high-Summer when temperatures can be horrendous. For a more restful day stay in Malaga - so much to see.

Thank you for suggestion but we would like to visit the famous Alhambra palace and gardens. Think it is the top tourist sight in Spain (or even Europe).

Thank you for suggestion but we would like to visit the famous Alhambra palace and gardens. Think it is the top tourist sight in Spain (or even Europe).

Interesting thought, but there are quite a few monuments in Europe more visited by tourists than the Alhambra, including the Eiffel Tower (France), Acropolis (Athens), Colosseum (Italy), and more. I took a look and did not see the Alhambra in the top 10...

That's not to say that it's not worth a visit, especially if you are interested in Moorish history and architecture. :)

On a cruise last year, my ship included a 'special' visit to the Alhambra in the evening -- there were far fewer people around, but also it got dark about halfway through the tour so that I don't feel we really saw the Generalife and the gardens in the best way. We did have an EXCELLENT local guide.

In a few months I'm returning to Malaga and this time I will heed campolady's advice and stay there!

We went to the Alhambra from Motril, using a group tour (bus). I thought it was pretty good for photography, which was my primary interest. The guide on the bus was quite good, and then at the Alhambra, we were placed in small groups and turned over to a local guide. In the town, some people went with the "bus" guide afterwards to visit a few places, but we were hot and tired and just stayed in a square while they went. I thought the Alhambra was worth visiting, despite the fact that it's not really close to anywhere a cruise ship will dock. h

We had been to Malaga before, and we enjoyed that city as well. I think I walked up to the castle, saw the bullring below, and then took a public bus around the city, finishing up with a sunset visit to the beach and a walk along the waterfront. If you're there for sunset, try to do the same.

Glad you had a great time. Local guides at Alhambra pretty good? Do you have enough time for the palaces and gardens? We are thinking of doing the ship's tour so as not to worry about long travel/delays. If RCL also engages local guides then we have no worry about its tour being mediocre. Hate to spend so much time and money for lousy tours.

Here is a link to some of our pictures

https://southerneurope.shutterfly.com/pictures/183

It is the most visited tourist attraction in Spain but that does not make it the best. And as for being the best in Europe - no way!

The Alhambra is well worth visiting, though it is tiring and a long trip from the port, very hot in the heat of the summer. I would agree with campo lady that it is by no means the best attraction in Europe but well worth going to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We went to the Alhambra from Motril, using a group tour (bus). I thought it was pretty good for photography, which was my primary interest. The guide on the bus was quite good, and then at the Alhambra, we were placed in small groups and turned over to a local guide. In the town, some people went with the "bus" guide afterwards to visit a few places, but we were hot and tired and just stayed in a square while they went. I thought the Alhambra was worth visiting, despite the fact that it's not really close to anywhere a cruise ship will dock. h

We had been to Malaga before, and we enjoyed that city as well. I think I walked up to the castle, saw the bullring below, and then took a public bus around the city, finishing up with a sunset visit to the beach and a walk along the waterfront. If you're there for sunset, try to do the same.

Thank you for relating your experience at Alhambra. We love photography too. Guess you were lucky to have a shorter distance to travel from Motril! Yes, Granada is far away from any cruise ports!!! It is not even reached by AVE yet! Much less accessible than Paris, Rome, London...the other top destinations. But to me it is definitely worthy of a long journey

to visit such an exotic locale, see such unique architecture and immerse in its rich history and culture.

Mskaufman,

Thank you for your beautiful photos collage of Alhambra. Very appreciative of you letting me have a glimpse of the splendid Alhambra! Such magnificent architecture! Do love the intricate, elaborate carvings and decorative elements and iconic water gardens. So looking forward to visit it on our excursion.:D

We have visited the Ahlhambra (the first visit) from a cruise ship docked in Malaga. Our 2nd visit was when we actually spent 2 nights inside the Ahlhambra at the local Parador (quasi government hotels). The Ahlhambra (and Generalife) is one of the tourist highlights of Spain and well worth a visit. Yes, you will have to do some walking (we always thought this was part of traveling/touring) and it is a long day. But so what! Go!

We should add that DW and I tend to do nearly everything on our own. But the Ahlhambra (on a Port day) presents some challenges for the do it yourselfer...including a long drive and timed (morning/afternoon) entrees which usually need to be pre booked). So we strongly recommend a private excursion or (choke) a cruise line excursion.

Hank

Mskaufman,

Thank you for your beautiful photos collage of Alhambra. Very appreciative of you letting me have a glimpse of the splendid Alhambra! Such magnificent architecture! Do love the intricate, elaborate carvings and decorative elements and iconic water gardens. So looking forward to visit it on our excursion.:D

Thanks and hope you enjoy.

We have visited the Ahlhambra (the first visit) from a cruise ship docked in Malaga. Our 2nd visit was when we actually spent 2 nights inside the Ahlhambra at the local Parador (quasi government hotels). The Ahlhambra (and Generalife) is one of the tourist highlights of Spain and well worth a visit. Yes, you will have to do some walking (we always thought this was part of traveling/touring) and it is a long day. But so what! Go!

We should add that DW and I tend to do nearly everything on our own. But the Ahlhambra (on a Port day) presents some challenges for the do it yourselfer...including a long drive and timed (morning/afternoon) entrees which usually need to be pre booked). So we strongly recommend a private excursion or (choke) a cruise line excursion.

Hank

It must be magical to be able to stay overnight at the atmospheric Alhambra! Wish our ship could dock overnight at port so we can spend more time at the iconic city. What better way to get acquainted than roaming its quaint alleys and walking its plazas! Thank you for your enthusiastic recommendation to visit Granada. Will definitely make the long bus ride and splurge on a ship's excursion. That will be a wonderful and unique experience!!!