Alaska Trip Report & Photos: DIY Seward/Denali + Star Princess Southbound

emeybee

Thanks everyone...

The photos were all shot in RAW, except for the panoramas, because the camera won't do panoramas in RAW for some reason. They were all edited in Lightroom.

We definitely had AMAZING weather on the cruise. I kind of wish the good weather had spread out a bit so I could've seen Denali, but out of the checklist of things I was hoping to see (bear, moose, eagle, otter, puffin, whale, Denali, northern lights, calving), the mountain was the only thing I missed, so I consider that to be pretty good!

Edited by emeybee

Thanks for the review! I really liked your photos and the details you provided. (Especially getting prices, however uncouth it is. I wish more people would put them in so I can stop getting all excited about something I read about only to later learn there's no way I can afford it!)

• 3 months later...

I realize I'm a few months later than everyone else, but I just starting researching my DIY land tour of Denali, and want to thank you for such a thorough, helpful review. And as everyone else has said, wonderful job on the photos!!

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 1 (Skagway, 7am-8:30pm)

Activities: Self Drive to Emerald Lake

In Skagway I rented a car to drive up to Emerald Lake. I'd thought about doing the train, but I just don't like being cooped up all day. Plus, the car was much cheaper (though it was crazy expensive for a one-day car rental -- $136). My mom and aunt ended up deciding to join me. We took the Skagway Smart Bus from the ship to the Avis office at the Westmark Hotel (it would have been about a 15 minute walk, but my aunt had just had foot surgery not too long ago). The bus was very efficient and cost $2 each way, or $5 for an all-day pass.

I'd bought and downloaded Murray's Guide ahead of time for the drive ($5), and it offered some handy descriptions along the way. We stopped at the suspension bridge, Caribou Crossing, Emerald Lake, and Carcross, as well as countless turnouts, waterfalls and viewpoints. It was a gorgeous drive and a very good day. The weather was crisp and started hailing and then snowing for a bit, but it was never too cloudy to see the views. We originally were going to have lunch at the Chilkoot Bakery in Carcross, but the sandwiches were all pre-made and didn't look very good, so we left and went to The Bistro instead. It was pretty good, though the portions were too big to finish and the building was really cold. We also stopped at Watson's General Store but that was a letdown (just touristy junk). At Caribou Crossing we fed some cheeky goats and laughed at the funny-looking Alpacas. On the way back we even saw a black bear crossing the road, but it scooted off before I could get a picture.

We'd picked up the car as soon as Avis opened at 8am and returned about 3:30, but that was with a LOT of stopping. The day could have been done faster if we'd been on a shorter schedule. When we got back to Skagway we wandered for a little bit and then returned to the ship well before our 8:30pm departure.

Love your review! Our family has similar traveling style as you.

We want to do this - drive from Seward to Emerald (Green) Lake and back. our ship is docked from 7-4pm and I had wondered (and created a thread/post) asking if it doable. This is great to know we can do this an get back to ship on time.

Thank you so much for your review and photos. It is evident that your trip was amazing, not only for what you planned to see and do, but what you experienced and appreciated in the moment. Just reading about your adventure builds my excitement about our upcoming June trip! Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Your review and photos are superb thankyou so much for all your time and trouble . It's such valuable info I am going to post a link to this thread on my own thread which no one else has joined yet as its very early days ( late June / early July 2017, also Star Princess, sadly too bright to see the Northern Lights but that time is our coldest time in NZ where I live.

I am an only child too but sadly don't have a mom and aunt to join me so I cruise solo and i like it that way.

Hope your aunt is o.k now am contemplating foot surgery myself afraid long hikes are out for me and I dont drive so tours tend to be my option.. After the land tour I will cruise Southward like you but I will be doing my main viewing up on deck as i have a not too badly obstructed cabin port side Emerald deck between the tenders so wont get the wonderful viewing you had from your mini suite.If I win lotto I will get a balcony!!

emeybee, thank you so much for taking the time to do such a thorough review! I hadn't seen your review when you posted it because we hadn't planned on an Alaska cruise this summer until last month. :rolleyes: Right now we are in the beginning stages of planning a land-only Alaska vacation for next summer, and following along on your trip has been such an education. We had been thinking about using the Alaska Railroad to get us to Seward/Talkeetna/Denali, but now we're not so sure. The car is sounding better and better.

Panasonic should pay you for selling their camera, because DH and I are about to go buy one! Your pictures are amazing.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...