Ziplining -- Skagway or Ketchikan

goin'toalaska

I'm getting a little overwhelmed with choices -- please help! One of my kids has especially requested a ziplining excursion.

RCL offers two in Skagway: (1) "Grizzly Falls" (says 11 ziplines and 4 suspension bridges); or (2) Adventure Park (six ziplines). Seems like Grizzy Falls would be better..any thoughts?

Online, I've also found recommendations for the Beer Creek Zipline by Alaskan Canopy Adventures out of Ketchikan, and I think we could do it there instead possibly.

It also looks like there is one out of Juneau, but I thought there might be too much else to do in Juneau.

Any suggestions for which is best? We have an extensive ziplining place not far from our house, so I guess the premium would be on a ziplining experience that is unique to Alaska.

Thanks!

We did the "Rainforest Canopy & Zipline Expedition" with Alaska Canopy Adventure at Ketchikan. Everyone was very professional and I wouldn't hesitate at all going with them again. They have two zipline courses and the one we took was maybe the "advanced" course. I had never ziplined before so I asked the difference between the two. I was told either could be done by a novice, the difference was height and length of the lines. The "advanced" (that's my wording) had higher and longer runs than the "beginner" (again, my wording) course. They have the lower and shorter runs for people who might not be too sure and are nervous/scared. I'm not a fan of heights or falling (Ha Ha) but as soon as we finished the "advanced" course I could have gone through it again, no problem. I think both courses have eight line - the advanced has a couple suspension bridges. Also, in the previous post to mine, the picture of the folks on the suspension bridge: The fellow in the yellow helmet was one of our guides - a great guy! (He teaches school in Los Angeles - he said it got harder and harder to go back every year.)

I have to admit, the zipline at Skagway with the eleven lines sounds great to me! The White Pass train ride and trip to Emerald Lake was what had our attention there.

• 2 weeks later...
We did the "Rainforest Canopy & Zipline Expedition" with Alaska Canopy Adventure at Ketchikan. Everyone was very professional and I wouldn't hesitate at all going with them again. They have two zipline courses and the one we took was maybe the "advanced" course. I had never ziplined before so I asked the difference between the two. I was told either could be done by a novice, the difference was height and length of the lines. The "advanced" (that's my wording) had higher and longer runs than the "beginner" (again, my wording) course. They have the lower and shorter runs for people who might not be too sure and are nervous/scared. I'm not a fan of heights or falling (Ha Ha) but as soon as we finished the "advanced" course I could have gone through it again, no problem. I think both courses have eight line - the advanced has a couple suspension bridges. Also, in the previous post to mine, the picture of the folks on the suspension bridge: The fellow in the yellow helmet was one of our guides - a great guy! (He teaches school in Los Angeles - he said it got harder and harder to go back every year.)

I have to admit, the zipline at Skagway with the eleven lines sounds great to me! The White Pass train ride and trip to Emerald Lake was what had our attention there.

I think you just talked me into it! lol.

Do you remember how far from the ship this one is?

We're only in Ketchikan from 7-1 so wondering if we would have time to fit it in? Thx!

I think you just talked me into it! lol.

Do you remember how far from the ship this one is?

We're only in Ketchikan from 7-1 so wondering if we would have time to fit it in? Thx!

You'll have a great time! I just looked at their web page and it shows the first time as 8:15 AM. They meet you near the Ketchikan Visitor's Center (on Front Street where Mission Street intersects) with their van. Their location is about a 20 minute ride - if you look on a map and follow the Tongas Highway southeast out of downtown then go around the tip end of the island to where you'll see Herring Bay, that's where they are located. I *think* we were in Ketchikan from about 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM and had PLENTY of time before and after pickup. Our zipline time was about 11:00, I think - we were back to the docks where we had lunch, did a BUNCH of shopping and time to spare. I'd guess about a 3 hour total round trip.

You'll have a great time! I just looked at their web page and it shows the first time as 8:15 AM. They meet you near the Ketchikan Visitor's Center (on Front Street where Mission Street intersects) with their van. Their location is about a 20 minute ride - if you look on a map and follow the Tongas Highway southeast out of downtown then go around the tip end of the island to where you'll see Herring Bay, that's where they are located. I *think* we were in Ketchikan from about 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM and had PLENTY of time before and after pickup. Our zipline time was about 11:00, I think - we were back to the docks where we had lunch, did a BUNCH of shopping and time to spare. I'd guess about a 3 hour total round trip.

Thanks for your help!

Was this zipline tour in Ketchikan super physical? I would love to do it but it says strenuous on the website so just wondering how physical it really is? (Sorry to hijack--this is my only wish on our trip, the rest I am doing whatever my hubby wants to do).

Was this zipline tour in Ketchikan super physical? I would love to do it but it says strenuous on the website so just wondering how physical it really is? (Sorry to hijack--this is my only wish on our trip, the rest I am doing whatever my hubby wants to do).

Not really too physical. I'd call it "moderate", maybe. The lines we did started out at ground level so there was no climbing. The last stop you go down a stairway. The most physical part would be holding your legs up and holding on when necessary. If you don't quite make it to the next stop on a line you'll need to be able to do a hand over hand thing to pull yourself along the line and it will be slightly uphill. I had to do that once because I slowed down too much before getting to the platform. It's not like running a mile or anything like that. Gravity takes care of most of the work. ;p

Not really too physical. I'd call it "moderate", maybe. The lines we did started out at ground level so there was no climbing. The last stop you go down a stairway. The most physical part would be holding your legs up and holding on when necessary. If you don't quite make it to the next stop on a line you'll need to be able to do a hand over hand thing to pull yourself along the line and it will be slightly uphill. I had to do that once because I slowed down too much before getting to the platform. It's not like running a mile or anything like that. Gravity takes care of most of the work. ;p

Thank You!! I really want to do it. We are in our 50's but are healthy so I am going to book it. We are not going till 2018 but I am a mega planner so like everything figured out way in advance.

Thank You!! I really want to do it. We are in our 50's but are healthy so I am going to book it. We are not going till 2018 but I am a mega planner so like everything figured out way in advance.

GREAT! I'm certain you will have a lot of fun! We aren't Spring Chickens - you will be okay. Below is big,fat, chicken & scared of heights me (one handed!) and under that is our group. There was only four of us zipliners - the ones with the yellow helmets were our guides - the lady young lady zipliner had no idea where they were going, her husband (his hand on her helmet) didn't tell her. She was terrified but made it all the way through just fine. If us two chickens can do it, anyone can! :-)

33248465420_dd6c4a37f2_b.jpg

32818341693_1ea3c62b21_b.jpg