Store hours

Herfnerd

I know that stores in port have published hours but didn't know if they stay open a little later when cruise ships are in port?

We are in Juneau until 10pm and Victoria, BC from 6pm until midnite and was just curious

The stores know the cruise ship schedules months in advance and plan their hours accordingly. I wouldn't count on them being open outside published hours. At least in Juneau it seems like most people go back to the ship for a "free" dinner rather than shelling out $25+ per person to eat at a restaurant, so the crowds get sparse in the evening.

I know that stores in port have published hours but didn't know if they stay open a little later when cruise ships are in port?

We are in Juneau until 10pm and Victoria, BC from 6pm until midnite and was just curious

Funny store opening story. A bunch of years ago, we were in either Juneau or Ketchikan on a Sunday on a non-cruise ship visit. We wanted to do some shopping but the stores were wall-to-wall people because there were several large ships in town so we figured that we would have a nice lunch and do our shopping after lunch. When we finished our lunch, the ships and and shoppers were gone and all of the stores were closed. Remember - it was a Sunday.

The moral of the story is that if the economy of the town is based on tourist dollars and there are ships in town, the stores will be open although maybe not as late as midnight. With regard to Victoria, that is a big city and cruise ships do not drive the city's economy so they will probably not adjust opening hours for a few thousand people off a cruise ship.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

The Glacier Smoothie Soap log cabin located next to the Library on the Juneau pier is the only one that I know.that closes at 6:00 PM because it is family-owned and they have family dinner each evening.

I adjust all of my time in Juneau to make sure that I make my souvenir soap purchases before 6:00 PM as I have for the past eight years.

I have read a lot about those soaps. What makes them better than other soap, the scent or the soap itself? I think I have to try some for myself.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The soaps are handmade by the shop owner's family, so I am told, using the silt left by the movement of glaciers. there are many amazing scents for both men and women, unscented version, and cloth bags that are color-coded per scent. The log cabin is no larger than my kitchen but the shelves are filled with soap in bags that beg to be sniffed.

The soaps are the favorite souvenirs that I brought to my coworkers from Alaska.

I go to Alaska every year and have standing orders from friends.

I have read a lot about those soaps. What makes them better than other soap, the scent or the soap itself? I think I have to try some for myself.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I buy some every year also, for many of the same reasons as Crew News. Also, I associate them with my trips to Alaska. In the dead of winter, with my next cruise 6 months away, I love to unwrap a fresh bar and instantly be transported back to Alaska.