Haines - what to do?

Straitlover

The cruise I have booked (June 2018 HAL southbound) stops in Haines rather than Skagway. Due to the ferry times (using this year's times), if we want to do the train in Skagway, we could only do the shorter ride to the summit and just the train (not train/bus combo which is supposed to be the better option).

If we stay in Haines, I would be interested in the Takshaunak (sp?) Mountain 4X4 excursion where you drive the Kawasaki Mules, the Haines Scenic Byway & Summit bus tour (100 mile trip in a bus), or renting a car and driving it on our own. The 4X4 one gets great reviews, but you only go 6 miles, and it's $140 per person. I ask myself: Is it worth $140??? We might be doing an ATV tour at Denali, so I'm wondering if this might be kind a duplicate. I don't know if we will ever be back.

If these were your choices, what would you do? We're three ladies in our 50's if that matters. :D

If you have any better options, please pass them on.

TIA!

I rented a car a just drove out of town a couple of hours, stopping wherever there was something interesting to see. Had lunch at a nice little place about an hour out of town.

If you can afford it I'd recommend a flightseeing trip over Glacier Bay with Mountain Flying Service. Spectacular views from the air

I love the car rental idea. Take your passports and drive up the Haines Highway. Beautiful area. Depending on the time you have, you might make it to Kluane National Park. You could also drive to Chilkoot Lake (opposite direction). Also a beautiful area, but not very far.

I'm on a June trip as well and struggled with this. Ultimately I just booked the ship's tour train ride. The times on the ferry were intimidating. I knew private tours left at a set time. But if the ferry was 10 minutes late I might boss the tour.

I know it is supposed to be great, but it is 7 or 8 hours all in. I'm leery of this one.