Passau to Munich Airport?

tjb19841987

Hi all-- I read up on a few older threads on this subject, but hoped to get more up-to-date information.

We're booked on a November Viking cruise (Budapest to Passau). We booked via VikingAir, paid to deviate, and won't be making our return flight until a few days after disembarkation. As such, our understanding is that we won't have airport transfer included (since they have no idea that we happen to be flying from Munich to London; the flight we booked is our return flight from London to DC four days later). Has anyone (recently) navigated the trek from Passau to the Munich airport? Leading suggestions seem to include the FlixBus or the train. We aren't interested in spending big $$$ on private transfer (and are young/spry), so I'd appreciate any advice/pros/cons. Thanks!

The train from Passau to Munich HBF is a direct route. Are you staying in Munich at all? If not, you will have to transfer to the train which goes to the airport, and, IIRC, requires a separate ticket.

I will say, when we went from Passau to Munich, it was on a Saturday, and the two Munich soccer teams were playing that afternoon, it was the day of the "endless night of music," the last weekend of SpringFest, and May Day weekend. Needless to say, the train was packed, and we were glad we had First Class tix.....which, aren't terribly expensive.

Enjoy your trip.

Oh, and it's possible you'll be docked outside of town, and will need a taxi to take you from the ship to the train station.

Robin

Thanks for confirming some of our suspicions, Robin! I'm a big soccer fan, but will definitely heed your advice if we end up purchasing train tickets, as I'd rather not spend two hours with revelers (and I don't think Bundesliga has released a full fall schedule yet).

Kim

We just did this last month. It's very easy. Take the train from Passau to Freising. When you get off the train, you will see signs for the bus to the Munich airport. It's about a 15 minute bus ride. I think the buses run every half hour. When you buy your ticket at the Passau train station, tell the clerk you want to go to the airport & she will issue you a bus ticket as well. The bus stops at both terminals.

I did forget about stopping in Freising instead of Munich, however many ways to get to airport. The Bayern pass should include the bus or the s Bahn, so always check that out first, but there are some restrictions. I have always found that if you leave after rush hour after 9 am on weekdays the regional trains are very easy to use even with luggage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I´m not absolutely sure that the Regio-Ticket Donau-Isar does include other public transportation than the trains. The Bayern-Ticket does include the local public transportation. But it doesn´t say so on the Regio-Ticket Donau-Isar website (in German).

Bus 635 runs every 20 min between Freising train station and Munich airport.

Be aware that Bayern-Ticket and also the Regio-Ticket Donau-Isar is only valid for regional trains and for departures past 9 am (on weekdays).

steamboats