How long does it take to get through customs at FCO?

cruisingmoose7

I'm booking a tour that will pick us up at the airport at FCO since we arrive in the morning and wont be able to check into our hotel for several hours. I need to let them know what time to pick us up though, but I'm unsure how well the airport handles customs and how long it takes to get out of there. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Customs isn't the issue, it's passport control and baggage claim. I've made it through in as little as 30 minutes (only once, but it happened) or as long as 90 minutes. Average is probably a little less than an hour.

Nevertheless, if you're using a private car/tour service, you don't need to worry about this. Simply tell them the flight number and planned arrival time and they'll do the rest. This is their profession, they know about how much time they need and they'll track your flight so they can adjust.

Our major delays at FCO has often been caused by lousy luggage service...where we have sometimes waited 45-60 min for our luggage to show up on the Carousel. Passport control lines really vary from a very short wait to much longer waits. I think about the longest we ever waited to get through Passport Control was about 30 min...but most of the time it takes no longer then 15. As Euro posted, the Customs folks are not an issue and seldom stop/search anyone.

Hank

Our major delays at FCO has often been caused by lousy luggage service...where we have sometimes waited 45-60 min for our luggage to show up on the Carousel. Passport control lines really vary from a very short wait to much longer waits. I think about the longest we ever waited to get through Passport Control was about 30 min...but most of the time it takes no longer then 15. As Euro posted, the Customs folks are not an issue and seldom stop/search anyone.

Hank

We have only flown into FCO twice in the last 5 years but both times we waited 1 hour for the luggage to start coming. It was chaotic both times. However both times our driver was still waiting for us - they know what to expect.

Customs isn't the issue, it's passport control and baggage claim. I've made it through in as little as 30 minutes (only once, but it happened) or as long as 90 minutes. Average is probably a little less than an hour.

Hi euro cruiser,

seems to me that you are very familiar with the FCO airport so I like to ask you for an advice and some guidance.

End of June wife and I will fly in to FCO from YYZ and 3 hours later after landing, we have a flight on Air Berlin to KRK.

The luggage needs to be picked up at the FCO terminal ( I think T3) and check in for the flight on Air Berlin ( T3 - I believe).

Do I have sufficient amount of time ?

When I booked the flights there was about 5 hours to do all the transactions but both airlines changed the time on their flights.

I will have to go through all the check in and security check after I get the luggage, do the check in on Air Berlin - right ?

The flights are not on the same ticket.

Thank you.

Even when there are two flights on different tickets, if the airlines have a baggage handling agreement you can sometimes check through to the final destination. Call the first airline and ask if they have an agreement with Air Berlin and if they'll check it through.

If they won't you still have enough time under normal circumstances. Air Berlin check in at FCO is in Terminal 1 but it's not that far away, maybe a ten to fifteen minute walk.

i have 12:30 delta flight from FCO on june 29 to the U.S what time should i get to the airport , coming from the port after a cruise.?

I too would get there 3 hours before the flight to give yourself plenty of time.

Keith

I'm booking a tour that will pick us up at the airport at FCO since we arrive in the morning and wont be able to check into our hotel for several hours. I need to let them know what time to pick us up though, but I'm unsure how well the airport handles customs and how long it takes to get out of there. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

The precise time to get through immigration (passport control) will vary.

On average from the time you get off the plane I would say about an hour to claim luggage and get through passport control. But it could be a little shorter or longer depending on time of day, number of people on line and number of personnel working.

Just have patience.

Keith