Viking Romantic Danube beer/wine related activities

zitsky

I'm specifically interested in the Regensburg micro breweries tour in PM/Evening. Also Krems? Heurigen evening. Both of this are listed as "snack included". What I'd like to know, is whether you have time to either eat lunch or eat dinner before those activities? I don't want to be drinking if I'm just having a few small snacks.

Also, if you did either of these, did you enjoy it??!!

I'm specifically interested in the Regensburg micro breweries tour in PM/Evening. Also Krems? Heurigen evening. Both of this are listed as "snack included". What I'd like to know, is whether you have time to either eat lunch or eat dinner before those activities? I don't want to be drinking if I'm just having a few small snacks.

Also, if you did either of these, did you enjoy it??!!

Unless it's an all day excursion by coach, tours are typically timed so you can have your lunch and dinner meals on the ship before they depart.

We just got back from the Romantic Danube. We did not do the micro breweries, but the folks that did were back for dinner. Our schedule may have been altered since we did a ship swap due to low water levels. We did the Heurigen evening in Vienna. It was an interesting dinner with a tour of a vineyard behind the restaurant. You also get to see some parts of Vienna outside the city center. However, it’s a bit pricey for what you get considering you miss dinner on the ship. I would highly recommend the beer fest tour in Passau. We went out to a very interesting farm and the tour guide was a young lady who lives there. Her family has had the farm since the 15th century.After a thorough tour of the farm, we had some great beer and her dad performed traditional Bavarian dancing. There was plenty of food available to soak up the beer.

• 3 weeks later...
We just got back from the Romantic Danube. We did not do the micro breweries, but the folks that did were back for dinner. Our schedule may have been altered since we did a ship swap due to low water levels. We did the Heurigen evening in Vienna. It was an interesting dinner with a tour of a vineyard behind the restaurant. You also get to see some parts of Vienna outside the city center. However, it’s a bit pricey for what you get considering you miss dinner on the ship. I would highly recommend the beer fest tour in Passau. We went out to a very interesting farm and the tour guide was a young lady who lives there. Her family has had the farm since the 15th century.After a thorough tour of the farm, we had some great beer and her dad performed traditional Bavarian dancing. There was plenty of food available to soak up the beer.

Thanks for your post! I appreciate it.

So you didn't have dinner before the Heurigen trip. And you didn't have dinner on the ship? Viking promotes the Heurigen evening as a snack, not dinner. I can't imagine drinking too much alcohol on an empty stomach. I suppose there might be time to grab something on the Aquavit terrace before you head out.

Also, the day starts in Krems but the Heurigen is listed in Vienna. Does the ship cruise to Vienna during this activity?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking for information on the Bavarian beefest tour in Passua. Glad to see this! We are sailing in Sept. and it looks like something we will like. Do they give you just 1 beer or a certain number? Thanks for any info!

Connie

Thanks K-cup! These are the exact excursions that we wanted to do. We are planning to walk the micro brewery tour and also the Heurigen wine excursion, but maybe not based on your comments. We were undecided on the beer fest excursion but now I think we will do it. How about the Hungarian horsemen or any of the other add-on excursions? We're there any exceptional ones that cruisers raved about? Thanks for your post, we leave August 19th on the same cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been looking for information on the Bavarian beefest tour in Passua. Glad to see this! We are sailing in Sept. and it looks like something we will like. Do they give you just 1 beer or a certain number? Thanks for any info!

Connie

It was one beer called Hacklberg. Like all the other beer on the trip, it was very good.

We did this trip in May, starting in Budapest. HIGHLY recommend Danube Narrows optional tour. The scenery was amazing, and it includes the oldest brewery in Bavaria (run by monks), and you can sample some of their beer while on the small boat cruising the narrows. They have a beer garden at the abbey, too. All happened between lunch and dinner.

• 3 weeks later...

We returned from our Romantic Danube cruise on 8/26. We made this trip somewhat of a European pub crawl for my husband and he put up with my obsession with horses. We did not do the micro brewery tour because we were tired from the earlier city tour, only 4 people from the boat went. They said it was fine and came back a bit tanked. I would recommend the Bavarian beer fest tour. It was rousingly fun and very interesting, even learned the schuhplattler dance. There were pretzels, meats, cheeses and two big barrels of beer that they tapped the old fashioned way. The beer flows freely, much as you can handle. (and for me they had horses :). We had a breakfast beer on the Danube Narrows excursion and they sold the beer that the monks make at the monastery (very reasonable beer glasses for sale too).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 months later...
Thanks for your post! I appreciate it.

So you didn't have dinner before the Heurigen trip. And you didn't have dinner on the ship? Viking promotes the Heurigen evening as a snack, not dinner. I can't imagine drinking too much alcohol on an empty stomach. I suppose there might be time to grab something on the Aquavit terrace before you head out.

Also, the day starts in Krems but the Heurigen is listed in Vienna. Does the ship cruise to Vienna during this activity?

By now you have cruised. Did you do the Heurigen evening? How was it? I was told there is dinner on the ship, true?

Thanks

By now you have cruised. Did you do the Heurigen evening? How was it? I was told there is dinner on the ship, true?

Thanks

Memory is a little hazy. Dinner was at the usual time. I had some food at the event, but not that much. Definitely a good idea to grab a snack somewhere. You can fill up if you want on the food. It wasn't quite a proper meal. Wine was ok but not great.

Highly recommend the Regensburg beer tour. The Passau was not that great only one kind of beer.