Diving in Belize?

gumbypee

I am nervous about not going on a ship sponsored excursion but I don't see any diving for Belize on RCI Rhapsody in January 2017.

Am I missing it or does anyone recommend a good dive experience and getting back to ship on time?

Thanks

I read a thread on the scuba and snorkelling board that Hugh Parkey, the dive operation used by the cruise lines, has gone out of business so there isn't an alternative yet.

My husband is looking at Sea Sports Belize as an alternative, although he likes to dive with the ship in Belize due to the long tender. We're on Rhapsody in December, so hopefully something will be arranged by then.

I read a thread on the scuba and snorkelling board that Hugh Parkey, the dive operation used by the cruise lines, has gone out of business so there isn't an alternative yet.

My husband is looking at Sea Sports Belize as an alternative, although he likes to dive with the ship in Belize due to the long tender. We're on Rhapsody in December, so hopefully something will be arranged by then.

Oh Ok. That makes sense b/c I thought it was supposed to be a good dive spot. I would love to hear what happens in December! :)

• 2 weeks later...

We are on a cruise stopping in Belize on Feb 1 2017. Originally the ship had a dive excursion listed, now it's not listed :mad: Was hoping to go through the ship instead of tendering to shore and going independent. Hmmm.

the more I think about it, with tendering involved, I don't think I want to do independent dive - I would just be too paranoid about getting back on time and not have fun

maybe they will have a contract with someone by next January!

• 2 weeks later...

please don't think that way, the tour operators life depends on getting guests back in time. My son is a Captain in St.Thomas. They have 2 goals, you have a great time and getting you back to the ship. His and most tour companies take cruise guests, hotel guests, and some even are contracted to the cruise line. So funny to me when people worry about "ship" time. The tour operators know the times better then you do. Carnival or not.

please don't think that way, the tour operators life depends on getting guests back in time. My son is a Captain in St.Thomas. They have 2 goals, you have a great time and getting you back to the ship. His and most tour companies take cruise guests, hotel guests, and some even are contracted to the cruise line. So funny to me when people worry about "ship" time. The tour operators know the times better then you do. Carnival or not.

unless they can guarantee me getting back to the ship or if they don't they would pay for me to get to the next port, I don't think it is going to happen for ME. I would stress too much and not enjoy it. I totally understand it is good business for them to make sure their guests get to the ship on time but there are those flukes with weather, traffic, accidents.

unless they can guarantee me getting back to the ship or if they don't they would pay for me to get to the next port, I don't think it is going to happen for ME. I would stress too much and not enjoy it. I totally understand it is good business for them to make sure their guests get to the ship on time but there are those flukes with weather, traffic, accidents.

I'm with you. Pay a few dollars more for an insurance policy and not have to worry.