Which NZ cruise?

Hi I was wondering if I can get your opinions on this. I booked a cruise around NZ on Royal Caribbean, doing Wellington, Auckland, Napier etc. But now I see one that does Milford Sound, Doubtful sound etc. Which one would you choose? Is the one that does Milford sound etc the one that is really the place not to miss if you do NZ? On the other hand I think we could go to the Lord of the Rings film set of we go on the other one which would be interesting. Any thoughts? Which would you do if you could only do one?

Christian

Cruising the Sounds in the South Island is definitely the highlight of all NZ cruises

There are plenty of highlights in all of the Ports of Call in NZ and plenty of tours and sightseeing

We are doing our third NZ cruise for Xmas this year and will be back again as we love the NZ cruises

John

I would have thought that you could get lots of cruise trips that would cover both? The sounds are very special and I personally would recommend going there.

Every trip is not guaranteed to go into Milford Sound though, if it is too rough. We have been there 3 times and it was beautiful every time, even when it was raining.

Perhaps 'm not the one to ask as Lord of the Rings does nothing for me, but I'd take Mlford/Doubtful Sounds every time.

But which, if any ports are actually lost?

Cruise A is Picton, Wellington, Napier, Tauranga, Auckland.

Cruise B is Milford Sound, Dusky Sound, Doubtful Sound, Dunedin, Wellington, Picton.

Cruise B is Milford Sound, Dusky Sound, Doubtful Sound, Dunedin, Wellington, Picton.

These seem to be the 11 day cruises by rci, have you considered the 14 day ones that include both north and south islands? Try something that includes say Bay of Islands in the north. Definite vote for including the sounds though.

Of your choices - I'd chose B - get a bit of both that way. The sounds are not to be missed. Having said that - if the weather deals you bad cards - you can miss ports and sounds :eek: I am tempted to keep going, like mind changing - what if etc - by starting with "but erm maybe"..................so I won't :p B would be my choice :D

Edited by dizzy1948

cassamanda: These seem to be the 11 day cruises by rci' date=' have you considered the 14 day ones that include [b']both north and south islands?[/b] Try something that includes say Bay of Islands in the north. Definite vote for including the sounds though.

Agree on trying to do a longer trip and/or get BOTH great areas. Super stops, potential, sights, experiences, etc., for the North and South Islands of New Zealand. As noted in the live/blog below, we got off of the Solstice in February after a wonderful sailing. Check out the postings below on my live/blog for more info/background on these many different ports, tour options, visuals, etc.!

Wellington is wonderful, plus Tauranga area, Dunedin, etc. Did not get a stop in Picton. On our sailing, our ship offered the option of doing an overnight in Queenstown. We got off of the ship in Milford Sound. Joined up with the ship in Dunedin on the second day. It was spectacular to see so much of the interior of the South Island. Doing the JetBoats in the narrow canyons was amazing. You cannot do it "all" on one trip, but it is fun trying. Below are a few highlight visuals to spark up excitement for NZ. Yes, Bay of Islands was wonderful. And, we had two extra days in and around Auckland. Loved it ALL!!! The below photo evidence should be powerful proof for spending more time in NZ!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 87,178 views for this posting.

From our group's Bay of Islands water fun, we got to do real sailing, including going out into the nearby Pacific Ocean! See the proof and success below. It was both a perfect weather day and such fun sampling this great region of northern NZ. One of the options for those in our Central Ohio group on this custom, private sailing was to help to do as much (or as little as desired) in helping make this sail experience happen. Here you can see Captain Murray guiding the ship from this great vantage point on the back of the Zindabar. Was this exciting and scenic for our group?:

BayOfIslandsA14_zps5d841758.jpg

This is Old St. Paul's church in Wellington. It is the former cathedral in the Diocese of Wellington for the Anglican Church. As an example of 19th-century Gothic Revival architecture, they adapted to colonial conditions and materials. It is at 34 Mulgrave Street, close to the New Zealand Parliament. Its construction was completed in June 1866. After a significant battle to prevent its demolition, Old St. Paul's was purchased by the New Zealand Government in 1967 and restored. Although not a parish church, it remains consecrated and is a popular for weddings, funerals and other services. It is constructed from native NZ timbers. The interior has been likened to the upturned hull of an Elizabethan galleon with its exposed curving trusses and roof sacking. The flags displayed in the nave include the Royal Navy, NZ Merchant Navy and US Marine Corps. Many of our Marines were stationed in Wellington during World War II. My wife is in yellow walking down the center aisle as she absorb the building details. This was a very important and "moving" site to experience. :

WellingtonA9_zpse247f172.jpg

At Te Puia near Rotorua in northern New Zealand, this Maori performance starts its ceremonies outside and then we entered the Wahiao Meeting House. Fortunately (with some skill), I was in a prime front row seat to be able to get great pictures, video, etc. Plus, experience the quality for how these members share these cultural traditions.:

RotMaoriOneA2_zps3517f252.jpg

Here is a picture from our New Zealand South Island JetBoat ride that my wife loved so much. Me, too!! Notice her hands and those of others in our row super tightly gripping the safety bar? That says so much about the speed and thrills while roaring up and down this amazing stretch of scenic river. I showed my wife this picture (and several others like this but where the wind was blowing her hair in the opposite direction). She liked this picture so much, that she said to put this one in her obituary (not that this need is upcoming anytime soon). It showed her having fun and she said this ride was the most fun of the whole cruise/trip. We've had lots of great moments on this trip, but one was a unique and special ride in a location that is spectacularly world-class near the NZ Southern Alps. And, perfect weather with good friends adds to the great joy!!:

JetBoatOne1_zpscafe58a3.jpg

Here is one of the famed gannets from Cape Kidnappers near Napier along the eastern NZ coast. This is just one small sampling of many large groups of these super cute birds that we saw here as they were nesting.:

NapCapKidGannets14_zps56dac26a.jpg

Here is one of my visuals in connection with this steamship sailing leading to the dinner at the sheep station at the other end of this scenic lake near Queenstown during the two-day Solstice excursion. You will see lots of scenic mountains and areas during this sailing that is a key part of this evening fun. And, there was food!!:

QueentownExcurA24_zps2a4c81d5.jpg

Thanks for all your responses, particularly TLCOhio for posting the pictures. I have decided to do the Sounds. I wish I could do a longer cruse to fit in both north and south islands but can't get away during that time. The sounds look unique and spectacular.

I know you have already made your decision but I agree to a longer one doing both the islands.

Even though you have picked the sounds one depending on when you go and the weather be prepared to miss out on one or more. We did the 14 day cruise early Dec a couple yrs ago and missed out on Napier and Doubtful and Dusky Sounds, only just got into Milford, all due to the weather.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for all your responses, particularly TLCOhio for posting the pictures. I have decided to do the Sounds. I wish I could do a longer cruse to fit in both north and south islands but can't get away during that time. The sounds look unique and spectacular.

I am certain you will enjoy your cruise.

For someone looking for a great 14 day NZ on one of Royals best ships, Radiance of the Seas, you couldnt go past the one on Feb 12, 2015.

For someone looking for a great 14 day NZ on one of Royals best ships, Radiance of the Seas, you couldnt go past the one on Feb 12, 2015.

Agree 100% - we did that cruise in Jan 2013. NZ and the Radiance were at their very best :)

I studied abroad in NZ and lived in Wellington, and I would 100% choose the sounds. The scenery in the south is amazing - and you still get Wellington on both, which is my favorite city. The sounds are incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk