Berlin, Germany - Visby, Sweden -

Riga, Latvia - Tallinn, Edtonia -

St. Petersburg, Russia - Helsinki, Finland - last stop Stockholm, Sweden

First off need help on free wifi spots. To use wifi in cruise

is very costly. also so is calling home. I have 4 kids and would like

to check in once in awhile. If I can figure where some free wifi spots

are than I can plan with them when to look for messages from me and when

I will be able to read theirs.

Second what things I should make sure I see/do everywhere.

Any customs/culture stuff I should know? Like don't do this there, be prepared for this.

I have never been out of the US before. Am very excited. I want to be prepared!

Feel free to share anything you think I should to help prepare me.

Thank you!

In Helsinki it's easy. City of Helsinki offers a free wireless connection in city centre. It even works on some busses. Also shopping centers like Kamppi offer a free wi-fi. Most cafes and restaurants have wi-fi for the customers, but in that case You have to buy something. Welcome to Helsinki!

http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en/come/welcome-helsinki/experience-wireless-helsinki

http://www.hel.fi/hki/Helsinki/en/City+government/City+administration+and+economy/Transactions/wlan

http://www.hel.fi/palvelukartta/?lang=en&theme=25536&city=91

I am going on a cruise this summer

We are boarding in Copenhagen, Denmark than on to -

Any customs/culture stuff I should know? Like don't do this there, be prepared for this.

Thank you!

I can relate to your needs on communicating with family back home. One thing to take into consideration is the significant time differences in between the multiple regions you will be visiting. In my case (EST) the greatest span is St. Petersburg at 9 hours ahead. Best of luck in your planning and enjoy your trip! :)

Dolfans from Miami

"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do!"

Walt Disney

Thank you!

First of all welcome to Cruise Critic and the Baltics part of it. I can say for sure, that this cruise will be special. these are some fantastic cities you will be visiting, like a once in a lifetime trip. The Baltics are special, so filled with history and great places to see. It is a very 'port intensive' cruise, meaning that for the times you will be in port, you will be off and running, without much time to rest. This cruise is not about sitting down, putting your feet up and relaxing. There is so much to see and do, and you will love every minute of it.

Since this is your first post here, take a look around and you will find the answers to many, many of your questions. For one, depending on you mobility and who is with you, almost all the ports you will be stopping at are very easy to do on your own. We have people here form almost all the ports who gladly give out such valuable information. Again, for the most part, forget any ships excursions, and think of doing it all on your own.

In St Petersburg, you cannot go off the ship without a visa. Most here have booked excursions with private tour companies, who supply the visa for you, take you around St Petersburg for however many days you will be there, and give you the biggest bang for you buck.

Here are a few of my pixs from our cruise. You can't help but take great pixs as the scenery is just magnificent.

Since you will be departing from Copenhagen, try and get there a few days early to be able to spend time in this wonderful city.

One thing you will want to do is take one of the canal boat tours from the section of town called Nyhavn.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe247.jpg

Another place to visit in Copenhagen is Rosenborg Castle where you can tour and see the Crown Jewels

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe332.jpg

St Petersburg is the jewel of this cruise and when you visit you will see why.

One of the places everyone visits is Peterhoif, the home of Peter the Great. here you will see the Palace and all the famous fountains.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster734.jpg

Another place that everyone needs to visit in St Petersburg is the Hermitage Museum. Here you will walk from magnificent room to magnificent room,viewing so many wonderful works of art and many other things

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe927.jpg

We loved Stockholm when we visited. Make sure you visit the Gamla Stan section of this city. It is what they call 'the old town' where you can just wander many narrow cobblestone streets. Truly a marvelous way to spend a day. From here you can also visit the Royal Palace and view the changing of the guard ceremony

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1306.jpg

Once again spend some time browsing some of the past pages, and any questions you have just ask away.

Cheers

Len

Here's a fun way we "called" home - free.

We would be sitting on our balcony while in port and noticed when the tour busses were parked beside the bus all of a sudden we had free wifi. The tour buses for excursions were their own hotspots and we could use them with our iPod and earbuds with a microphone to make VOIP calls back to the states.

Here's a fun way we "called" home - free.

We would be sitting on our balcony while in port and noticed when the tour busses were parked beside the bus all of a sudden we had free wifi. The tour buses for excursions were their own hotspots and we could use them with our iPod and earbuds with a microphone to make VOIP calls back to the states.

I just love all the "creative" tips I pick up from my fellow savvy cruisers on these boards. Genius! Many thanks for sharing. ;)

Dolfans from Miami

Walt Disney

Scandinavians are very relaxed and liberal. If you do anything we find strange, we'll just roll our eyes and think "Oh, a tourist". ;)

Religion and politics are sensitive subjects (like everywhere else). It's OK to ask, but strong opinions might be frowned upon.

That's all, really :)

Emails cheap enough on board. You type your email on your laptop without logging in to the ship's internet. Then you log in, copy and paste your email into Outlook, fire it off, copy and paste any emails you've received, and shut down Outlook. You're online for 5 minutes or so, which is affordable, and you can save the shore time for sightseeing.

Scandinavians are very relaxed and liberal. If you do anything we find strange, we'll just roll our eyes and think "Oh, a tourist". ;)

Religion and politics are sensitive subjects (like everywhere else). It's OK to ask, but strong opinions might be frowned upon.

That's all, really :)

Ahhh, Sinppu, I was just thinking about you! I was going to do a search to find the post in which you provided the instructions on how to get from the port in Helsinki to Market Square. I know you had said that they changed the direct route and we now have to go to Rock Church and travel from there. Do you think you can provide me with that info once again? We are sailing on the RCI Brilliance and will be in port on Saturday, 6/1. Many thanks and greatly appreciate all your efforts!

Dolfans from Miami

Walt Disney

I can relate to your needs on communicating with family back home. One thing to take into consideration is the significant time differences in between the multiple regions you will be visiting. In my case (EST) the greatest span is St. Petersburg at 9 hours ahead. Best of luck in your planning and enjoy your trip! Dolfans from Miami

dsrdsrdsr: Emails cheap enough on board. You type your email on your laptop without logging in to the ship's internet. Then you log in' date=' copy and paste your email into Outlook, fire it off, copy and paste any emails you've received, and shut down Outlook. You're online for 5 minutes or so, which is affordable, and you can save the shore time for sightseeing. [/quote']

ronron1616: Cruise help' date=' free wifi spots, things to do. I am going on a cruise this summer

We are boarding in Copenhagen, Denmark than on to - Berlin, Germany - Visby, Sweden -Riga, Latvia - Tallinn, Edtonia - St. Petersburg, Russia - Helsinki, Finland - last stop Stockholm, Sweden. First off need help on free wifi spots. To use wifi in cruise is very costly. also so is calling home. [b']Second what things I should make sure I see/do everywhere.[/b] Any customs/culture stuff I should know? Like don't do this there, be prepared for this. I have never been out of the US before. Am very excited. I want to be prepared! Feel free to share anything you think I should to help prepare me.

Super excellent points by dolfans0704 on the timing realities as you might try to call back home during your Baltics cruise and dsrdsrdsr's wise suggestion for composing off-line on your laptop or iPad to be more time-efficient in using your on-ship computer hook-up time smartly.

From somebody who has done 22 different countries in Europe, many of them multiple times, here are some key suggestions for a first-timer in these great areas.

First, "free" wifi sounds, great, but how valuable is your time? There are so many great port options and your schedule will be super busy, busy!! Yes, you want to save money, but your time is worth something. The Baltics in general, are not cheap. Prepare to loosen up a little, spend some money to save time, but smart on your schedule and maximizing your efforts to see and enjoy so much in this area.

Below are just four quick visuals to get you excited about the many great potentials in this historic, interesting and charming part of Europe. It is good you are starting in Copenhagen and finishing in Stockholm. That allows added time there in these great cities before and after your cruise.

From our previous travels to many great cities/ports of Europe, here are some of my book and research tips. You might grab, maybe from your public libraries or ask for them to do a book transfer they can process for you, such super excellent visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc. Rick Steves, Fodors, Frommers, Lonely Planet, etc., can work well, too. In my opinion, no one travel book has it "ALL", perfectly and completely for all of your needs. Right now for our early 2014 Australia-New Zealand cruise, I have a big stack of all of the major travel books from the library for these two countries.

These resources, especially the visual ones, can help you better figure out your priorities, in advance, for what you want to do and see. That early research is very important. Don't wait until you get on the ship to "GUESS" what might be of interest. I always build a "file" on my laptop computer for each port stop with highlights from that reading and then pulling up stories/articles from the travels sections of the New York Times, Telegraph of London, Wikipedia, etc. All of those help to consider your many great options. Amazon can be very good in providing such books at reduced prices, plus some used books websites. Lots of great options!!! Especially in these days of the Internet, it makes things easier to research and plan ahead. You can use Google.com for great access to various text items, plus a wide variety of visuals and maps. One option for some private tour and other local options is to contract the tourism office in each of your ports. You can use Google.com and put in the search term such as "city/port name tourism office". Then follow-up to each of those office by e-mail, ask your questions, get their suggestions, options to consider, etc.

Here are a couple of other suggestions to help you and other future travelers. FIRST, scroll back through all of the earlier postings. You will see many different items on ports you would visit and/or at the board for each separate cruise line in planning for your upcoming cruise. SECOND, do a search on these boards by each city and you will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop. Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with specific questions in each port city.

Keep these good questions rolling along!! Lots of great ideas and people are here on these boards and they are happy to help. Don't be shy!! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. Keep researching and planning. It will be very helpful for when you do your actual trip and that experience.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 116,184 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 93,919 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard is one of the key highlights and is handy, close to the next-door historic old town area. And it’s free! No charge or tickets required.:

1A-StHolm-Guards.jpg

Here are some of the fountains and water at the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg. The greatest technological achievement of Peterhof is that all of the fountains operate without the use of pumps. Water is supplied from natural springs and collects in reservoirs in the Upper Gardens. This elevation difference creates the pressure driving most of the fountains for the Lower Gardens, including the Grand Cascade.: : [/b]

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

Here is an overall view of the size and scale of St. Isaac's interior in St. Petersburg. It is the largest Russian Orthodox cathedral in this historic city and was dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, a patron saint of Peter the Great. The cathedral took 40 years to construct, 1818 to 1858, under direction of a French architect. During Soviet rule, it was nearly destroyed and was made into a Museum of Scientific Atheism. It has been restored to its religious beauty/role. The cathedral's main dome tops out at 333 feet and is plated with pure gold.:

1A-StP-StIsaacInt.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!!:

Boat.jpg

Ahhh, Sinppu, I was just thinking about you! I was going to do a search to find the post in which you provided the instructions on how to get from the port in Helsinki to Market Square. I know you had said that they changed the direct route and we now have to go to Rock Church and travel from there. Do you think you can provide me with that info once again? We are sailing on the RCI Brilliance and will be in port on Saturday, 6/1. Many thanks and greatly appreciate all your efforts!

Dolfans from Miami

Walt Disney

Hi Dolfans!

This is the current information (but look for updates as it may change): You are docking at Hernesaari Quay at the Western Harbour. The bus leaves right outside the terminal.

Take bus 14 to the Rock Church (stop Kauppakorkeakoulut).

Take tram 3T from the church to Eira/Kauppatori direction.

If you want to use public transportation to go back, I recommend using this site:

http://www.reittiopas.fi/en/

Type in where you are leaving and where you are going and it will show you all you need to know.

Any other questions, just ask away :)

Thank you Sinuppu. I have included this in my notes. Maybe I can bother you on one more question. Do you have first hand knowledge on the beer garden/pub/restaurant at Suomenlinna or do you have any other suggestions on where we can sit and have a couple of drinks that is nice over there? Many thanks for your feedback!

Dolfans from Miami

Walt Disney

Thank you Sinuppu. I have included this in my notes. Maybe I can bother you on one more question. Do you have first hand knowledge on the beer garden/pub/restaurant at Suomenlinna or do you have any other suggestions on where we can sit and have a couple of drinks that is nice over there? Many thanks for your feedback!

Dolfans from Miami

Walt Disney

I happen to have been there :)

It is quite nice especially when it's sunny weather. If you aren't interested in Suomenlinna otherwise and find that you are short of time when in Helsinki, there are a lot of great places to sit down and enjoy a drink.

For example Hotel Torni has a roof top bar Ateljee with excellent views and sky high prices (pun intended ;))

Thank you, Terry, for the kind comments. I so much enjoy reading your posts and looking at your beautiful photographs :) You have no idea how much you have contributed to my research and planning for my visits to this amazing region. I greatly appreciate you taking time to "navigate" us 1st time visitors with all of your wonderful recommendations and helpful tips. I learn something new each time I read through one of your postings. Thanks again and enjoy your next trip!

Thank you, Terry, for the kind comments. I so much enjoy reading your posts and looking at your beautiful photographs. You have no idea how much you have contributed to my research and planning for my visits to this amazing region. I greatly appreciate you taking time to "navigate" us 1st time visitors with all of your wonderful recommendations and helpful tips. I learn something new each time I read through one of your postings. Thanks again and enjoy your next trip!

Appreciate so much your kind viewpoint on my pictures and postings. Glad to know you're a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make these generous comments.

As a "bonus" for ronron1616, here are a few more options to consider for Copenhagen, Tallinn, St. Petersburg and Helsinki. Keep those nice comments and questions rolling along.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 116,184 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 93,919 views.

Lots of beautiful church towers and buildings are located all over in historic St. Petersburg. Some “riding around time” allows an opportunity to see the variety of buildings in this historic capital.:

1A-StP-Ch.jpg

At St. Petersburg’s Hermitage, here is just one of the many, many great galleries with so many different and great architecture details, soaring ceilings, dramatic floors, etc., in areas where the Czars entertained and impressed other Royals and nobility. Even without the art items, these five palaces are so spectacular! This room is adorned with 19th-century Russian lapidary works and feature Italian and Spanish canvases of the 16th-18th centuries, including Veronese, Tintoretto, Velázquez and Murillo.:

1A-StP-HermitageGalleries.jpg

Helsinki’s City Hall in the main downtown overlooking the interesting and varied market area that is a must-see for walking around.:

1A-Helsinki-CityHall.jpg

Helsinki’s Church of Rock, or Temppeliaukion Kirkko, is carved out of solid stone with a unique contemporary design. This Lutheran church was opened in September 1969. For economic reasons, its suggested plan was scaled back and the interior space reduced to about one-quarter of the original, pre-WWII plan. The interior was excavated and built directly out of solid rock and is bathed in natural light which enters through the glazed dome. The church is used frequently as a concert venue with its excellent acoustics. The acoustic quality is created by the rough, virtually unworked rock surfaces. The Temppeliaukio church is one of the most popular tourist attractions in this city with half a million people visiting annually. :

1A-Helsinki-RockChurch.jpg

Tallinn’s rooftops in this charming Estonia Capital from the Toompea/upper town with docked cruise ships shown in the more distant background:

1A-Tallinn-Rooftops.jpg

A guard and statue in front of the current Royal Palace in Copenhagen. Amalienborg Slot includes four rococo-styled residences of Denmark’s royal family. This site includes a museum surrounding an octagonal cobblestone courtyard. You can witness the Royal guards walk from Rosenborg Castle to Amalienborg Palace for the Changing of the Guard daily at noon. Adult fee for museum about $13. For more info, see: ses.dk/amalienborg.:

1-CPH-PalaceonWalk.jpg

I can relate to your needs on communicating with family back home. One thing to take into consideration is the significant time differences in between the multiple regions you will be visiting. In my case (EST) the greatest span is St. Petersburg at 9 hours ahead. Best of luck in your planning and enjoy your trip! :)

Dolfans from Miami

Walt Disney

I am looking for a hotel to stay for 2 days in Copenhagan that is near the center of town

I am looking for a hotel to stay for 2 days in Copenhagan that is near the center of town

Welcome to these Cruise Critic boards. Lots of great ideas and people are here on these boards and they are happy to help. Don't be shy!! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. Keep researching and planning. It is very helpful. Below is some info on The Square hotel where we stayed. Super handy location.

In Copenhagen, we stayed at The Square hotel that overlooks the main plaza in front of their City Hall with its large tower. This picture angle is framed by two statutes in front of this famed civic building. The design for The Square is also very unique and nice. It gives more of the feel of being in Denmark with the special design style and approaches. From the Travel Channel on her "Passport" TV shows, Samantha Brown stayed there and gave it good, deserved play/praise.:

CPHtheSquareHotelFront.jpg

• 2 months later...
I assume the Wasa has free Wi-fi for their downloadable tour guide. Is that only inside? Do you know if it can be used while standing in line waiting for tickets?

I don't know, I only tested it inside but I don't think it will work outside. Tour guide is available at their website though.

Thank you!

You might want to buy an international prepaid sim card. I bought the phone and the sim card from this website http://www.telestial.com/ and plan to use it for emergency use in the Baltics this August. From what I saw before purchasing, calls from the Baltics range from 20 cents to 40 cents a minute. They also have smart phone and data plan options.

As far as what to see/do definitely check out the Copenhagen thread as it is super helpful as well as the ones for Helsinki and Stockholm. Danish Viking has been super helpful in helping me plan my days in Copenhagen. You should be able to see my plans in that thread. I am also staying at The Square hotel based on recommendations I read here.

As far as traveling out of the country, it really isn't much different than traveling in the US for me. Just treat it as if you were going to New York or LA. Try to blend in, don't wave money around, and be polite.

Archived