Internet/Phone Access in Japan

freddie

I know that this subject has been addressed previously on CC; but I cannot find any posts on CC more recent than 2009 in this regard.

We will be boarding Crystal Symphony in April in Tokyo and traveling in Japanese waters for five days until entering Russian territory.

I recall reading that shipboard internet access is not available while in Japanese waters. Could someone verify that?

Further, even if internet access is not available, is the regular ship-to-shore or WMS-at-Sea telephone/cellular service available for communication? We are a bit OCD about keeping in touch with our housesitter regarding the welfare of our two little cairn terrier pooches and therefore are not happy being out of contact.

Any info respecting this matter will be gratefully accepted.

Cheers, Fred

Edited by freddie

In 2013 we did a cruise with Japanese ports. Whenever we were within 12-miles (IIRC) we didn't have Internet per Japanese law. On sea days it cut in and out as irregular coastline came within 12-miles of our ship.

I'm sorry I don't remember about phone service as we didn't try to use that.

Yes, they do turn off the Internet whenever within the 12m zone. The mobile network (via the very expensive satellite system...) was always available, plus we could sometime pick up the Japanese networks.

I guess you will have days in port and thus access to internet (besides McDonalds, you find more and more free WIFI in the main shopping areas).

It really depends on the ship and which equipment is available. "C" Band, which is used by many cruise ships for Internet and satellite telephone, must be turned off when a non-Japanese flag ship is in Japanese waters. Newer ships - or ships spending long periods in Japan - frequently have "Ku" band antennae that are legal in Japan. If your ship has this system, Internet and satellite telephone will be working in Japanese waters.