Beach Day Costa Maya or Cozumel?

danp2482

Hey everyone! I was wondering if everyone could help out with opinions and advice. My wife and I are on the NCL Getaway in May. We were thinking of doing one of the beach clubs in Costa Maya but as I was reading on the Boards yesterday, there seems to be an issue with Sea Grass and murky waters in the majority of the Costa Maya beach club beaches. Have the sea grass and murky waters cleared up or are we better of doing our beach day at Cozumel? Thanks for your help!

The latest reports I'm reading from last week are that the seagrass is currently not a problem and that the Mexican government has paid to dredge up a lot of it to alleviate the issue. I'll be there in early April and can give you an updated analysis then.

Ralphinsc is correct, based on what Steve at Tropicante told me. And based on what I saw---NO SEA GRASS along the malecon. That said though seagrass is somewhat seasonal and somewhat current driven in nature, so you'll just have to wait. If Ralphinsc finds no sea grass on his visit, you'll be okay too.

If choosing whether to do a beach day in Costa Maya or Cozumel, pick it on what you are looking for in a beach club as far as amenities are concerned. Coz's well developed beaches have more options than CM's, but getting to the beach is easier in in CM and cheaper taxi fare wise. There's no real delineation between beach sand in Mahahual and you can easily walk from one to another. But you're better prepared to have a good day with an advanced reservation at on of the better reviewed places as service and food/drink quality varies greatly. Taxis aren't all that expensive in Coz either but some clubs charge entrance fees and others don't. For a "truer" Caribbean beach experience, I'd probably choose Coz over CM but that's not to say CM's beaches are poor. You can also base it on the number of ships in each port with you. 5-8 ships in Coz will mean that some more popular clubs are crowded. Likewise in CM if there are 2-3 ships in. Often there's only 1 so you have the un of the place.

Thanks for your help everyone!

The latest reports I'm reading from last week are that the seagrass is currently not a problem and that the Mexican government has paid to dredge up a lot of it to alleviate the issue. I'll be there in early April and can give you an updated analysis then.

Raplphinsc, I would be very thankful for a report on the situation down there!

For a "truer" Caribbean beach experience, I'd probably choose Coz over CM but that's not to say CM's beaches are poor.

crewsweeper, what did you mean by a "truer" Caribbean beach experience?

We did beach days at both ports and prefer Costa Maya as it is more laid back. The vendors are a little annoying but a "no gracias" pretty much turns them away. The beaches at Coz were so busy and we did not like that. Not much shade and people are there to get drunk it seems. We went to Playa Mia at Coz and the Tropicante at Costa Maya.