Cruise terminal to Victoria Square in Adelaide?

You might consider getting off the train to city at Port Adelaide on the way to the city. A beautiful old preserved historic precinct. You can explore it easily on foot. I had a wonderful visit there last year on the Australia Circumnavigation voyage on the Volendam.

Free city bus shuttle in Adelaide is very handy too.

Train Trip to city takes about 30 mins and I seem to remember that you can get a concession if you are a senior.

Best wishes Danny

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I suggest you catch the train into Adelaide Central station. Take a walk from there to visit the beautiful St Peters Cathedral, passing by the parklands of the River Torrens. Here is a link. http://www.stpeters-cathedral.org.au/about-us/visitors/

So, if you catch the train in, walk along North Terrace, turn left at King William St, walk along the parklands and across the bridge....then you will see this Cathedral sitting up on the hill. Easily walkable.

As said before, Adelaide is laid out in a grid like fashion, with the inner city being exactly 1 mile square, surrounded by parklands, and bordered by North,South, East and West Terraces. Running down the centre of these terraces, between Nth and Sth Terrace is King William Street, with Victoria Square in the middle of that section. The train stops along North Terrace. There is a free bus that goes from the train station to Victoria Square. By looking at a map, you will easily work it all out. The main shopping precinct in the city is Rundle Mall, which is off King William St, and nearer to the train station than Victoria Square. Victoria Square is surrounded by govt buildings, court houses etc, and the small Chinatown.

Other suggestions are to catch the tram down to Glenelg. Tram goes to and from the city train station, down King William St, and then heads down to Glenelg. Allow a minimum of 2 hrs to do this. If it is a nice day, then allow more time. This is my 'home' area, so I am somewhat biased in regards to Glenelg....I think it is worth the trip, def.

Bob

You encapsulated that so beautifully. Brings back wonderful memories.

Hazelnut, there is only one more thing I could add. There is the most gorgeous market in the city. Adelaide Central Market, Gouger Street. If you are into that sort of scene, it is a wonderful assault on all your senses in a very multicultural setting. Maybe Bob could give more detail for a nice coffee place there or lunch as he is a local.

It is one of our main wine growing states with plenty of wineries to visit and if you have time, there is a beautiful hamlet in the Adelaide Hills called Hahndorf. German people settled there and famous painter lived in the area Hans Heysen. He delighted in painting gum trees and pastoral scenes.

Welcome down under

Danny in Mt Tamborine Queensland a long way from Adelaide.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Wow! So much great information. Time to get out my maps and do some serious planning. We will be in Adelaide on a Sunday and someone on CC had recommended St. Francis Xavier Cathedral in Victoria Square if we wanted to attend a service and then include some sightseeing. Thank you everyone for such detailed responses.

Susan