iPhone

maverade

• 3 weeks later...

So we're back from our Getaway cruise and I'm here to report on my experience with Wifi on the ship. As others recommended, I put phone on airplane mode, logged into NCL wifi and.... nothing...

I was unable to text our kids, both of whom also have IPhones. I tried several times, turning phone on and off, etc. etc.

What I decided to do was purchase the NCL option on the ship for $5/ day which gave me ability to text and also use What's App texting onboard. The $5/day was well worth the ability to keep in touch on the ship. FYI if anyone decides to do this, be aware that they'll charge you for the full number of days on the ship, regardless of the day you sign up (up to 4th day). No pictures within the texts could be seen on the ship with this option.

(I have ATT and had also purchased on-land coverage, ATT Passport)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So we're back from our Getaway cruise and I'm here to report on my experience with Wifi on the ship. As others recommended, I put phone on airplane mode, logged into NCL wifi and.... nothing...

I was unable to text our kids, both of whom also have IPhones. I tried several times, turning phone on and off, etc. etc.

What I decided to do was purchase the NCL option on the ship for $5/ day which gave me ability to text and also use What's App texting onboard. The $5/day was well worth the ability to keep in touch on the ship. FYI if anyone decides to do this, be aware that they'll charge you for the full number of days on the ship, regardless of the day you sign up (up to 4th day). No pictures within the texts could be seen on the ship with this option.

(I have ATT and had also purchased on-land coverage, ATT Passport)

Well that is certainly disappointing but perhaps inevitable. Thanks for the report.

Maybe you were doing something wrong? My sister just got off the Dawn and had no problems sending me texts while at sea. No charges applied.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I tried several times (turned phone on and off etc), made sure I followed directions on this topic and couldn't send any texts until I purchased the option while on board. I had airplane mode on, and it said it was on NCL wifi, but - for me and my iPhone - it didn't actually do anything until I purchased the $5/day texting option. (Then had to set up via "login.com")

Oopppsssssy didn't realize there was an app? [emoji51] I put on airplane mode and then set wifi to NCL Getaway.....

We've booked another NCL for next year, and will be happy to try again if I didn't actually do it right!

Do you even have an iphone? Have you ever tried this technique? If not, why are you in here harassing everybody? You are always all over everybody and generally unpleasant. What is your deal?

Gee. I am sorry if I was offending or harassing everybody.

I was only replying to someone that was able to text for free and was never charged.

I have always paid for texts, wifi, cell calls on my iphone - foolish I guess.

Do you even have an iphone? Have you ever tried this technique? If not, why are you in here harassing everybody? You are always all over everybody and generally unpleasant. What is your deal?

:D

Hilarious!

I had this same discussion with garycarla early on in this thread and 4 pages later he still can't come to grips with it.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to cause any problems. I just know that we have never paid and we have gone with large groups of 30+ and many had iPhones and that's how we communicated with each other.

I hate to ask a stupid question... but I'd like to try it again next year when we're back on NCL - was there an app I was supposed to have used with my iPhone in addition to the airplane mode/wifi setting? Thanks [emoji5]

I am currently on the Escape right now and have sailed on the Getaway twice before and I have always been able to text other iPhone users (via iMessage) without having any WiFi plan. I did have IConcierge downloaded on my phone but was not messaging through that. My wife did not have iConcierge downloaded and was also able to send messages to me on the ship but never tried anyone else. We will try tomorrow.

I hate to ask a stupid question... but I'd like to try it again next year when we're back on NCL - was there an app I was supposed to have used with my iPhone in addition to the airplane mode/wifi setting? Thanks [emoji5]

Oh the Iconcierge app? No I didn't have it on because I was trying for the no-cost concept.

In the end, I was happy to have spent the $5/ day to be able to text our children and our neighbor who had to put on our hurricane shutters during Irma!

I am currently on the Escape right now and have sailed on the Getaway twice before and I have always been able to text other iPhone users (via iMessage) without having any WiFi plan. I did have IConcierge downloaded on my phone but was not messaging through that. My wife did not have iConcierge downloaded and was also able to send messages to me on the ship but never tried anyone else. We will try tomorrow.

Sounds great. Are you able to make phone calls?

Sounds great. Are you able to make phone calls?

To be honest, I did not know about WiFi calling so never tried. I just tried to change it in settings to allow it but you must be in the US to turn it on for Verizon - at least that is the message I received when trying to turn it on. I will know next time to turn it on.