What is acceptable?

babets_99

Our 7 day had 2 formal nights. My DH wore a suit coat and tie both nights, no tux for him. I wore a dress pants and a dressy shirt, the other night was a black cocktail dress. Some wore tuxes, but few and women ranged from dress pants/tops to long gowns. Whatever you feel comfortable in that's dressy should work.

For formal nights we'd typically wear a dark sport jacket and dress pants with a button up shirt and tie. Dress shoes/belts/etc... (I always think of it as what you'd wear to a job interview or a 5 star upscale restaurant).

On cruise formal nights, some wear tuxes, some wear suits, but a lot will not. It's fairly flexible but you do want to look good. :)

Women wear everything from upscale gowns to classy pant-suits.

Personally, we don't like lugging our tuxes around and then having to press them so we go "low key," and it has never been a problem, even on Cunard. And by Low Key I mean a sport jacket and tie...

Edited by corpkid

There will probably be two formal nights, likely on sea days. You've now heard from the dress-up fan club. If you like doing that, pack the suit or tux, and have a blast on formal night.

As for the rest of us, we also paid the fare for our cruise, and we won't be told to go and eat in the Windjammer or to order room service those nights. RCI publishes a dress suggestion for formal night. Interpret that as you wish. You probably shouldn't show up in board shorts, a muscle shirt and a baseball cap on formal night. If you did, the Maitre d' would probably hustle you to a table in a dark corner.

You're going to eat an elegantly-served meal in a dining room with real table cloths and napkins. Some people around you will be putting on the glitz - tuxes, gowns, suits, the whole nine yards. So put on some long pants (preferably not denim ** see note below) and a shirt that doesn't look like it came out of the rag bag. Or dress upward from that, if you enjoy doing that.

** I did see one guy show up at formal night who broke all the rules. He was wearing the most elegantly fitted jeans you could imagine, plus a perfect Armani jacket and shirt. His manicured feet looked amazing inside a pair of sandals that would have cost a month's rent where I come from. Seriously, think Leonardo de Whoosis. You think the Maitre d' would have turned him away?

Edited by wassup4565

Always a good idea to ask cruise line specific questions on the cruise line board.

Keith

And a good idea not discussing what is the standard dress on HAL cruises even when it's established that an OP is going on another line.

I do recommend checking the FAQs on the website for the cruise line you're going on.