Singapore Hotel ??

Ashland

Suggestions for a pre-cruise hotel in Singapore ? Not looking for very high end nor low budget..not knowing perhaps I'll say in the $200.00 range :confused::confused:. Location to restaurants (again not upscale but western type food..we're simple diners) and shopping areas (I am a shopper). Thanks for some much needed help :)

And yes I have looked at TripAdvisor but am looking for the folks on this boards suggestions since I had such a great recommendation for my last visit to Shanghai (Grand Central Hotel) I was hoping for something similar for Singapore.

Edited by Ashland

I just wrote this in another thread, it is in a great spot.

Rendezvous Hotel Singapore , is a great affordable hotel at the bottom of Orchard Rd.

Do yourself a favour and try to get a taxi to Lau Pa Sat after dark for the best street stall satay of your life.

I just wrote this in another thread, it is in a great spot.

Rendezvous Hotel Singapore , is a great affordable hotel at the bottom of Orchard Rd.

Do yourself a favour and try to get a taxi to Lau Pa Sat after dark for the best street stall satay of your life.

Much appreciation..for your suggestion...will check it out !!

Suggestions for a pre-cruise hotel in Singapore ? Not looking for very high end nor low budget..not knowing perhaps I'll say in the $200.00 range :confused::confused:. Location to restaurants (again not upscale but western type food..we're simple diners) and shopping areas (I am a shopper). Thanks for some much needed help :)

And yes I have looked at TripAdvisor but am looking for the folks on this boards suggestions since I had such a great recommendation for my last visit to Shanghai (Grand Central Hotel) I was hoping for something similar for Singapore.

Hi Ashland,

For our last visit to singapore we stayed at the Village Bugis Hotel. It is a fabulous location, about 500m from Bugis St. shops and markets, overlooking the Arab quarter with all their fabulous shops, restaurants and bars. The MRT is also right there which is a cheap and easy way to get around Singapore. It is not a pretty building from the outside, and we stayed in a basic room, (student child lol)which was clean and comfortable, good wifi , with an air conditioner that was adjustable and fridge that got your drinks cold, but the higher priced rooms look lovely. For me it's all about location when travelling. I did do a trip advisor review if you were interested. Found good bargains on the various hotel booking websites.

The Rendevous also looks lovely and is in a great location, and if the Village Bugis hadn't worked out I would have tried there on my next visit.

There is an abundance of mid range hotels in Singapore and I'm sure everyone has their favourite :) I don't think you will go wrong whatever you decide.

I hope you have a wonderful and safe holiday!

Cheers

Wangeling Gal

Edited by wangeling gal

We would suggest you try going on http://www.agoda.com. We have found excellent bargains in Singapore and Hong Kong as well as other Asian cities. They specialize in these hotels. You can put in your criteria and the hotels will pop up. They often have additional amenities other sites would not have. I just looked as we need a hotel in Singapore for our upcoming cruise as well. There are many good ones in the $125 to $200 range.

We would suggest you try going on www.agoda.com. We have found excellent bargains in Singapore and Hong Kong as well as other Asian cities. They specialize in these hotels. You can put in your criteria and the hotels will pop up. They often have additional amenities other sites would not have. I just looked as we need a hotel in Singapore for our upcoming cruise as well. There are many good ones in the $125 to $200 range.

Thanks so much...would love to know what hotel you end up choosing..When is your cruise ?

Hi Ashland. Our cruise leaves Hong Kong on December 12 and arrives Singapore on December 21, doing Vietnam. Silversea Silver Wind. We have been to Singapore three times before and have stayed in different hotels each time. The first time we splurged on the Shangri La Valley wing and loved it. But it is high end. We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental the second time and found it ok but not great. We also enjoyed the Regent Hotel just off Orchard Road which was really nice with big rooms. It is a bit of a walk to the shops on Orchard Road, but not bad higher end for a reasonable price (under $200).

We are only in Singapore overnight until our flight on the 22 and I still have to book our hotel. Will probably stay in the Orchard Road area. If you like shopping, this is the area as there are many department stores and malls and restaurants, including western food restaurants. Doby Ghaut is a main MRT stop in Singapore and Orchard Road, so any hotel in that area will be really convenient to getting to other parts of the city, including the cruise ship terminal.

We actually love shopping the markets like Clarke Quay and the Bugis market for lower priced items too.

Have a wonderful trip!

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a post cruise stay in Singapore and stayed at the Parkroyal Pickering. New hotel that is very comfortable with a nice pool. Great location near subway. One block walk to mall and a few blocks walk is Chinatown. A short walk in the other direction. Is Clarke Quay. Short taxi ride from the cruise terminal SGD 15 and SGD 30 to airport. Would absolutely stay there again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you all so much...great recommendations so far...still doing some checking...Anyone know much about the Park Hotel and the area of Clarke Quay :confused:

Edited by Ashland

Clarke quay is a nice quiet area, lights up at night time. Few restaurants along the river bank and shops. Close walk to MRT (purple line)

Thanks so much for the info.

You may think this is a crazy question :eek: but are we going to have trouble finding western style food ?..We're very simple in our taste when it comes to eating :o:)

We are booked on a Celebrity package that includes hotels in Dubai and Singapore. They reserved us accommodations at the Grand Park Orchard. It has good reviews on a Trip Advisor and close to everything we will need, especially shopping and restaurants. Check it out.

Marion

You may think this is a crazy question :eek: but are we going to have trouble finding western style food ?..We're very simple in our taste when it comes to eating :o:)

Hey Ashland,

You won't have any trouble finding western food in Singapore. It is a modern, cosmopolitan city, that caters for tourists and locals really well. Around the Clarke and Robertson Quay areas there are lots of western style restaurants , (even a Hooters! :eek:) at the gorgeous Chjmes complex cnr Victoria St and Bras Basah Rd, there is a steak house (plus so many more) or even out at Holland Park there is so loads to choose from. You won't go hungry in Singapore:) Their Hainanese Chicken Rice is a delicious, yet simple dish, that might be just right for you.

Good eating to you!! :D

Edited by wangeling gal

We are booked on a Celebrity package that includes hotels in Dubai and Singapore. They reserved us accommodations at the Grand Park Orchard. It has good reviews on a Trip Advisor and close to everything we will need, especially shopping and restaurants. Check it out.

Marion

Thanks so much Marion...I'll check out that hotel....Enjoy your cruise.

Hey Ashland,

You won't have any trouble finding western food in Singapore. It is a modern, cosmopolitan city, that caters for tourists and locals really well. Around the Clarke and Robertson Quay areas there are lots of western style restaurants , (even a Hooters! :eek:) at the gorgeous Chjmes complex cnr Victoria St and Bras Basah Rd, there is a steak house (plus so many more) or even out at Holland Park there is so loads to choose from. You won't go hungry in Singapore:) Their Hainanese Chicken Rice is a delicious, yet simple dish, that might be just right for you.

Good eating to you!! :D

Oh good....nice to know we won't go hungry :p

Thanks so much for not thinking we're crazy with that question ;)

Def not a crazy question :)

Western food is everywhere in Singapore. Most hawker centres have them. There is the normal hjs (burger king), mcdonalds n kfc plus popeye chicken.

La pa sat is a great hawker centre, not far from clarke quay.

Newton circus is another popular one.

Def not a crazy question :)

Western food is everywhere in Singapore. Most hawker centres have them. There is the normal hjs (burger king), mcdonalds n kfc plus popeye chicken.

La pa sat is a great hawker centre, not far from clarke quay.

Newton circus is another popular one.

Shops, western and local foods, mall, transportations, try Swissotel, for around or under $200.

I think you have wasted an opportunity to try different food other than Western if you are in Singapore.

Western Food are generally more expensive. You have the cafe to the gourmet resturtant. But these will burn a deep whole in your pocket if you include alcohol. Remember Singapore has one of the highest "Sin" tax. Smoking and Drinking Alcohol will cost you dearly.

I think you have wasted an opportunity to try different food other than Western if you are in Singapore.

Western Food are generally more expensive. You have the cafe to the gourmet resturtant. But these will burn a deep whole in your pocket if you include alcohol. Remember Singapore has one of the highest "Sin" tax. Smoking and Drinking Alcohol will cost you dearly.

"Sorry" you feel that way....I only asked a question...not your opinion of my possible "wasted opportunity" when it comes to food...We will make our own decision once we get there...and no we don't smoke or drink.

"Sorry" you feel that way....I only asked a question...not your opinion of my possible "wasted opportunity" when it comes to food...We will make our own decision once we get there...and no we don't smoke or drink.

OMG cool it. You just abused a local Singaporean who was only trying to be helpful. This is a classic case of two different cultures not understanding each other due to slight differences in the use of the English language.

Singapore has high taxes on alcohol and cigarettes. The people are just so lovely and kind.

Sorry ASing1Cruise that you got flamed. Totally unnecessary.

Back to the subject. What do people think of the Marina Mandarin. Thinking of staying there next May. Second, is the Grand Park Orchard a bit far out of the city? Or not.

Just trying to decide whether to stay on Orchard or somewhere near Marina Bay or Raffles place.

Hugh