Buying pearls in Tahiti?

Truffle

If you go through the PG Board the subject is discussed.

It really depends on what you want and what you want to spend.

I have prefered to buy the better quality pearls from Tahia Pearls, Robert Wan and Island Fashion.

I would advise anyone not to buy any pearls unless they really call you. It took me 5 trips to buy a full strand of pearls. Everything I saw before was either out of my price range or not to my taste.

If you are looking for something simple but fun Robert Wan has some nice pieces. I have purchased pearls both from his Bora Bora and his Moorea stores.

I have also made some street purchases from Bora Bora and Motu Mahana. These were simple necklaces and braclets all under $100 so didnt bother me that they came without certificates.

I bought some beautiful pieces from Robert Wan and I highly recommend his store in Moorea. I also bought three beautiful loose pearls from him. I wanted the very blue color and they let me sort through a lot of pearls to get matched colors and sizes.

In Bora Bora, I bought three loose pearls at the Tahitian Pearl Market and had them strung at the store. I'm headed back there next month to look for something else.

I have bought pearls from Robert Wan locations thought FP - in fact every location! Very good value and extremely reputable. Best to buy during January sale. Extremely good deals. Tahia also good and if on the PG, Hinerava has very nice designs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

By the way you can also find great bargains at the dock on Moorea. Some locals show up and last year we got a necklace for under $200. Similar ones in stores were selling for $2000. I am no expert and I can't attest to the grading but there are no visible imperfections and looking at it from a foot away you can't tell the difference.

By the way you can also find great bargains at the dock on Moorea. Some locals show up and last year we got a necklace for under $200. Similar ones in stores were selling for $2000. I am no expert and I can't attest to the grading but there are no visible imperfections and looking at it from a foot away you can't tell the difference.

In Moorea they sometimes sell reconstituted pearls on the dock. These are usually made in the Phillipines. I have a necklace bought in the US of these- lovely colour and lustre - unreal size of pearls for $400. I know they are not real and it doesnt bother me but I do enjoy them. I also have a necklace bought at Motu Mahana for $150 mis matched pearls.

A lot depends on luck. Some years I have got some lovely stuff and other years nothing much. Anyway no more pearls for me I have way too many!

I bought some beautiful pieces from Robert Wan and I highly recommend his store in Moorea. I also bought three beautiful loose pearls from him. I wanted the very blue color and they let me sort through a lot of pearls to get matched colors and sizes.

In Bora Bora, I bought three loose pearls at the Tahitian Pearl Market and had them strung at the store. I'm headed back there next month to look for something else.

I too have bought a lot of loose pearls and had them set by themselves or with diamonds. My favourite though is a necklace of keishi set in white gold. I collected these over the years and finally when I had enough I had a necklace made. Hard to get good keishi but love their lustre ( pure nacre).