Palancar or CHANKANAAB in Cozumel

nikicole

My husband and I will be traveling with our 3 kids (9, 7, and 3). My parents will also be with us. We were planning on going to Palancar since we are on a tight budget. Then, I got to looking at Chankanaab and like the idea of the nearby reef to snorkel around. We have never been snorkeling and I think my older two children would love being near the marine life, whether or not they will successfully snorkel or not. At such a low price, it's very tempting. Yet, the more secluded laid back beach of Palancar seems nice too. Can't decide. The only reason we'd choose Chankanaab is for the snorkeling. We can do without the sea lion show, playground, and everything else.

The Mexican Rivera is the Pacific side of Mexico. Cozumel is on the Caribbean side, and covered here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

Where else are you stopping on your cruise? Its been a few years since we snorkeled Chankaanab, and to be honest, there are better places to snorkel in the Caribbean.

Thanks, I didn't see a Cozumel Forum. I will post there. But will say that we are stopping at Yucatan Progresso as well. We weren't planning on snorkeling, but since there is an easy accessible place at the National Park, I thought it'd be a good time to try it out.

Edited by nikicole

As much as I like The Money Bar I wouldn't personally recommend it, or Corona,for a three year old and I am not sure even the older kids would find much to do there as the entrance to the water is very rocky (hence the reason it is good for snorkeling).

With a group that size you will require a taxi van for transport so that will cost you $40 each way to Palancar, $20+ to Chankanaab. We have never been to Chankanaab but I hear there is plenty to do there and there is a money off coupon online but unless you are interested in some of the other activities (some free) I am not sure I would pay entrance fee for that big a party.

Maybe look at Paradise Beach - $30 each way taxi, $3pp entrance, $10pp food and beverage minimum and optional water sport pass.

If you are docking at Puerta Maya,or International, (and have a stroller) another place we have enjoyed with a 4 year old is AI day pass (11-6pm) to Park Royal hotel. It was $40 per adult, reduced rate for children and free under 4/5(?) but I understand it may have gone up. I don't know if that would fit in your budget but it is convenient to the ports,requires no transport, includes food and drinks, 3 swimming pools, kids club and pool, small beach area and I think use of snorkle equipment for 1 hour (?).

Edited by c-leg5

We'd rather stick with a more native beach free from high rises. Plus, the AI deal isn't good for us as we will arrive in the morning and need to be back on ship before it leaves at 5pm.

I wouldn't exactly call Park Royal "high rise" but it does have some small towers. The beach is across the road from the hotel under a tunnel. I suggested it because some people have issues with traveling without car seats so it can be a viable option. Also, I like to swim in swimming pools but to each their own. I agree the late start of the day pass can be a deal breaker depending on your port hours but they do allow access to the property just no food and drink until after 11. In the afternoon the heat can be very high so leaving mid-afternoon isn't usually a problem for us especially with a little one.

However, Palancar is good if the high taxi fare is OK. People say it is quieter because of the long distance and higher taxi fare although I cannot altogether agree with that after my last visit there. I think you should also check out Paradise Beach which is very popular with families and has very clean facilities and excellent pool as well as beach area.

The high taxi fare is still cheaper than walking to Park Royal and paying $40 per adult. BTW: what are the car seat laws and do they have them or do we need to bring our own?

Edited by nikicole

The high taxi fare is still cheaper than walking to Park Royal and paying $40 per adult. BTW: what are the car seat laws and do they have them or do we need to bring our own?

Not sure what the "official" laws are. I have read that children need to wear safety belts in the back of a vehicle but in reality many cars in Cozumel have the seat belts cut, or in operable, and I am not sure if it is monitored. It is more a matter of the individual parent to determine what they are comfortable with. Child seats will not be provided and you will need to bring your own if you are going to use them (unless you hire a private driver for the day and then they can be provided) and you will need to ask for a vehicle that has restraints. Since for a party of your size you will need a van you will probably find belts available. Prices will be posted on a board at the piers and you should check with driver before leaving.

My bad, I guess by the time you buy food at Palancar, that would make up the difference.

I think you are correct that for a party your size and ages Park Royal would be slightly more expensive but if the timing works it can be convenient and was just a suggestion to consider. We are usually a party of 2 and child so price was comparable although as I said I think the day pass may have gone up since last fall when we were there. If you want to be at any of the locations for any length of time you will find that food and drinks can mount up, although you can have a good breakfast on the ship before you leave and go back late afternoon for a snack. Also if you want to snorkel at Palancar or Chankanaab you will have to bring your own equipment, or rent.

Have you read Mitsugirly's photo reviews of Palancar and Chankanaab?

Edited by c-leg5

We took our 3kids there in March. (18, 15, 10). We also went primarily for the snorkeling. It was good snorkeling for the adults and the 18 year old, but it was too rough for our 10 and 15 year old beginners. They only did a little bit of snorkeling. It seemed there wasn't really much else right there at the beach they were interested in. We packed up and did the sea lion show. We had also reserved the swim with the Dolphins for the kids (which is why we were there.) There is a pool in that area and my kids loved the Dolphin Swim.

My thoughts, we were in port from 11-6, so we didn't get to the park until 11:30 or so and their Dolphin Swim was at 2:30. There seemed to be a lot to do at the park, it was beaufiful, but we didn't have enough time to really explore the park. The snorkeling was rough for beginners, but the beach was beautiful and if you have kids who like to play in the sand, it was nice. The cost to enter is more than the other beaches, if you are looking just for a beach and snorkeling, while it was beautiful, I don't know that I would pick it for beginner snorkelers, if they don't really like it, beach activities are kind of limited.