Help, In Maui now, Re: POA parking

tinkerbell1984

We rented a car for two days. I was unaware of no more overnight parking until the car rental shuttle told us. We planned on going to Haleakala at 230 am. We were told to park our car at the airport. Can I get out of the airport parking at 3am and how can I get to it? Any advice? TiA

Some people here on the forum have said recently that they've parked at the shopping centre across from the port with no issues, but not sure if you want to gamble on that.

If you park at the airport, you'd need to take a taxi to pick up your car - not sure if there are automated pay stations or just attendant pay stations ... hopefully you can get out at 2:30 a.m. There's a phone number at the bottom of this link ... suggest giving them a call: http://hawaii.gov/ogg/airport-parking

Good luck!

Edited by Susan-M

Here is what we had to do:

We parked over night at the airport in the back nearest to the rental car lot. Walked across the street, down and around to the rental car place to catch the shuttle back to the ship. Airport parking was $13. They had auto attendant at 3am.

People on here recommended CB taxi. However, they turned us away for a 230 am pick up. We were given La Bella Taxis number by CB and an airport taxi and they told us to call when we were heading off the ship, but they had to pick us up at Maui Mall as they dont have authority to get into the Harbour. They got there right after we did and it was $10, they even agreed to drop us off on the side of the road behind the airport since we were parked in the back.

La Bella taxi told us that you will NOT get towed at Maui Mall regardless of what you will be told.

It was a hassle, but the $23 spent was better than paying for a sunrise tour. :)

Here is what we had to do:

We parked over night at the airport in the back nearest to the rental car lot. Walked across the street, down and around to the rental car place to catch the shuttle back to the ship. Airport parking was $13. They had auto attendant at 3am.

People on here recommended CB taxi. However, they turned us away for a 230 am pick up. We were given La Bella Taxis number by CB and an airport taxi and they told us to call when we were heading off the ship, but they had to pick us up at Maui Mall as they dont have authority to get into the Harbour. They got there right after we did and it was $10, they even agreed to drop us off on the side of the road behind the airport since we were parked in the back.

La Bella taxi told us that you will NOT get towed at Maui Mall regardless of what you will be told.

It was a hassle, but the $23 ($28 with tip) spent was better than paying for a sunrise tour. :)

i would take a bus to the top...no way would I want to drive that road in the dark!!!

When you think about it, even the stretch of Haleakala Highway from its intersection with Kula Highway on up to the entrance to the park would also be a very dark ride and most of it literally out in the middle of nowhere. We aren't big on tours (prefer to have our own car), but here is one place we would compromise.

We've only driven up and down in daylight but I've read that with the reflectors on the road, and the procession of cars going up for sunrise (slow speed & lights from other vehicles) it's not that bad of a drive.

It will be interesting to hear what the OP thought of the drive up in the dark.

It really wasn't bad. There were lines of cars going up. We arrived at the summit a little after 4am. Just go slow, pay attention, be careful, take your time, and follow the traffic. I'd be more scared in a bus to be honest...

Did you have any issues with the Maui Mall and did you notice other cruisers park there??? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Did you have any issues with the Maui Mall and did you notice other cruisers park there??? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well we didn't park there, but our cab driver said they don't tow, regardless of what the rental car companies will tell you. I can say there were a lot of cars parked near the road in front of the drug store at 2:45 am and I doubt they were all shopping. :)

It really wasn't bad. There were lines of cars going up. We arrived at the summit a little after 4am. Just go slow, pay attention, be careful, take your time, and follow the traffic. I'd be more scared in a bus to be honest...

We did this about 8 years ago and it was easy. As you said the road is not difficult to navigate and there are other cars heading the same way.

Amusing story, when I drove up my sister was with us and she has a fear of heights. She was ok going up in the dark but was all frantic on the ride back down as she could now see where we were. :p:D